Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Developers Bulletin #3 - July 2013 | Forums

Launch trailer - Might & Magic® X Legacy [UK]

Might & Magic X - Legacy - 4 New Classes Speed Painting trailer [UK]

Might and Magic X Legacy - The Gameplay trailer [UK]

Might & Magic X Legacy -- The Open Dev starts! [EUROPE]

Community Developer Ubisoft SpaceElephant's Avatar

Developers Bulletin #3 - July 2013

Hello guys, it’s been a while since the last Developers Bulletin. Meanwhile we did a few interviews, Chat Room Takeovers, video interview with Producer Stephane Jankowski that was targeted to give you some insights about the development of DoC. We’ve been online for a year now, and a lot of things happened during all of that time! The game has changed and especially our priorities have changed a lot, taking into account what you guys requested from us, and what you expect from a competitive free-to-play card game.

In one year our team grew up a lot, around 10 new people joined us in Quebec City. We got more testers to test the features and card balancing, we also hired 2 new designers, a few programmers, a data analyst and a few web programmers to help us with our web services. We are around 42 people total in Quebec City, which is still a small team for an Ubisoft game. Not to forget people who joined us in Europe and the US, like our Polish, German, Spain, Italian and US community managers, to discuss and create original activities with our growing community. We also learned a lot during the last year. We gained a lot of experience about running an online game with all the unexpected situations happening at any moment, how to deal with different versions running on 2 very different platforms, how to deal with an online shop, payment platforms and customer support, etc. We also learned a lot about competition and e-sport. We travelled to some big events like the Dreamhack and the Paris Games Week, we talked to many people involved in that universe. We decided to launch our Road to Paris Championship by ourselves, instead of joining a league. That was one of the first e-sport experiences for Ubisoft, as the company is bigger on console and retail games. Now let’s ask: If we knew what we were jumping in, would we have done things differently? Perhaps, but we wouldn’t have learned that much.

You need to know that Duel of Champions is constantly evolving work in progress, with you guys involved in the process. I like to tell people that we are the “indiest” game of the company (not sure if my boss would like to read this) but it’s true!

More than 10 million duels were performed so far, and we are proud of what we’ve accomplished. We are also aware that we still have a lot of work on the table for the upcoming months!

So now, let’s stop this nostalgic speech, and let’s talk about what’s on the roadmap :

- The next game update should happen pretty soon, at the end of July
    o It will feature the implementation of Twitch TV: you will be able to stream on Twitch without going through a 3rd party software like XSplit
     This feature should be improved with time, by adding more elements to the game (like a webcam, a microphone, mouse cursor, etc)
    o Spectator mode – client version
     This is the 1st iteration, we will have a spectator for official Ubi events, in order to stream chosen duels or tournaments
     The next iteration will be open to everyone in Swiss tournaments
     Next iteration will be improved, probably available in more game modes
    o Improved Friendslist
     The friendslist will be improved, you will be able to see who’s in a duel or not, and you will also be able to challenge a friend!
    o Engine migration
     We are switching our engine to a newer version
     This is not something that you guys will notice on the short term, but it will allow us more technical possibilities in the future
    o A few nerfs :
     Nergal’s Poison ability activation will cost 1 resource.
     Week of the Wild Spirit is now an activated effect “Until End of Turn” that costs 1
     This is a first step for now, if we still need to nerf other cards, our designers will investigate for sure

Other topics :
    o Road to Paris Championship:
     Online qualifiers are now launched on the official website, come and join in! www.road2paris.com
     We are trying to support as much countries as possible, but as rules and regulations are different in each countries, we have to deal with those constraints
     Please welcome JasonParadise, our official Community Manager related to the tournament! He’ll be the main point of contact for anything related to Road to Paris
    o How to get a single card
     This is one of our top priorities for the next months. We are gamers too and this is something we are looking for to improve our decks (Devs don’t cheat, and that’s true ) We have a good idea that we need to design, test and improve, and we can’t wait to share that idea with you!
    o Swiss tournament bugs
     We are aware of those disconnections/crash bugs since a while and we have people working on it. We know those bugs are frustrating, but they are very hard to isolate. But don’t worry, we want to fix this asap and this is also a top priority
    o Next expansion
     The next expansion with new cards will be our biggest series EVER and it will feature a new faction! We are very excited and I’m sure you will also enjoy it! Our goal is to release it in the next months, sooner than expected 
    o New game modes
     You guys have been talking a lot about Bo3 and side decks, that are things that we are investigating for sure. We didn’t have pulled the plug on Draft tournaments neither, but those features take a lot of time to develop and actually, our designers are more focused on the next expansion and, of course, how to get a single card
     The question of “Having the same card in multiple decks” is still on the table too, it raises many questions about the game’s economy and philosophy but the team is pretty open for discussion. The guy who writes those lines would also like to see that feature, so… fingers crossed  If we move forward with this, it could be implemented very fast.
    o Russian and Portuguese versions
     I think it says all: new languages and new communities!

So, this is what’s on the table for now, I hope you guys enjoy reading some news from us. If you have any questions, comments or something, feel free to contact me or your Community Manager!

Add me : SpaceElephant and SEE YOU ON THE BATTLEGROUND !!

Emile aka SpaceElephant
    Last edited by SpaceElephant; 07-05-2013 at 06:40 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks SpaceElephant, russian language is very nice addition.

So why is this feature taking so long to implement? One of the best things about this game is to be able to create your own decks. Why are you making this so difficult and sucking the fun out of deck building for players. I am tired of having to rip out cards or only have one version of a deck.

The question of “Having the same card in multiple decks” is still on the table too, it raises many questions about the game’s economy and philosophy but the team is pretty open for discussion. The guy who writes those lines would also like to see that feature, so… fingers crossed  If we move forward with this, it could be implemented very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Kraven_Moorhead View Post
    So why is this feature taking so long to implement? One of the best things about this game is to be able to create your own decks. Why are you making this so difficult and sucking the fun out of deck building for players. I am tired of having to rip out cards or only have one version of a deck.

The question of “Having the same card in multiple decks” is still on the table too, it raises many questions about the game’s economy and philosophy but the team is pretty open for discussion. The guy who writes those lines would also like to see that feature, so… fingers crossed  If we move forward with this, it could be implemented very fast.
    Money man money!. You have to obtain not 4 copies but 8 copies of specific card if you want to see it in 2 decks. and yeah they are working very hard on new expansion because then they would be able to sell more seals for new packs. Bugs? what bugs? the shop works so there are no bugs. Devs leave empty phrases "free to play" and set some fee. Hiding behind the wall of words "friendly" "free" "open for suggestions" becomes pathetic.
    Last edited by Blackryba; 07-05-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackryba View Post
    Money man money!. You have to obtain not 4 copies but 8 copies of specific card if you want to see it in 2 decks. and yeah they are working very hard on new expansion because then they would be able to sell more seals for new packs. Bugs? what bugs? the shop works so there are no bugs. Money suckers. Leave empty phrases "free to play" and set some fee. Hiding by the wall of words "friendly" "free" "open for suggestions" becomes pathetic.
    Actually the main reason is that the game was developed with the idea of making as close to a "real" deck of cards as possible. If you buy Pokemon cards at your local store, you can't put one card in 2 decks at the same time. this is what was done here.
    I'm not actually saying if this was good or bad, simply trying to give you more insight into why the game is the way it is.

Pokemon cards
    Aza is a troll!

Quote Originally Posted by Blackryba View Post
    Money man money!. You have to obtain not 4 copies but 8 copies of specific card if you want to see it in 2 decks. and yeah they are working very hard on new expansion because then they would be able to sell more seals for new packs. Bugs? what bugs? the shop works so there are no bugs. Leave empty phrases "free to play" and set some fee. Hiding by the wall of words "friendly" "free" "open for suggestions" becomes pathetic.

Uhm, i think i can speak for the most paying customers and one thing is certain, we won't pay anything more for this game if u dont make it possible to trade our useless craploads of cards for something we want, it doesnt have to be 1 for 1, that's not what i ask for but u dont need to exspect much money from they next expansion if u dont do that very soon because we are pissed? i think u could say so yeah... some mechanics that go over get ravager out... townportal...6dmg....repeat.... +2 paos would be cool too?
    most deck i encounter just rush u down, thats all what this game has to offer these days, i stopped playing for the moment, sad... "soon" nerf will help a bit tough

Nergal ability cost? What about other lords, Kelthor ability in the first position isnt getting any change?
    Week of the wild spirits nerf? What about it's mirror version week of the tamed spirits then? It would be too strong counter for magic creatures decks, will it receive any change?
    Like until your next turn magic creatures get -1?

Quote Originally Posted by Aza404 View Post
    Actually the main reason is that the game was developed with the idea of making as close to a "real" deck of cards as possible. If you buy Pokemon cards at your local store, you can't put one card in 2 decks at the same time. this is what was done here.
    I'm not actually saying if this was good or bad, simply trying to give you more insight into why the game is the way it is.

You seem to want your cake and eat it too with this. If i buy pokemon cards at my local store I can trade them too... but you have made the decision not to allow card trading as well. I am currenlty playing with all sorts of digital ccgs (scrolls, shadow era, solforge, card hunter) right now to just see which ones i like. I truly think the gameplay in this game is the best out of all of them. But your stronghold on the economy of this game is rapidly turning me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Aza404 View Post
    Aza do you think I am ten? or maybe that we are all mentally challenged? It is not a paper game. All players are complaining and you are just wondering if it was good idea?....look around and check how works for example Poxnora game.
    Last edited by Blackryba; 07-05-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast