Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multiple Ownable Ships in AC4? | Forums

Assassin?s Creed Unity ? Wear the Phantom Blade Replica

Assassin?s Creed Unity Cast of Characters Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Story Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Experience #2 Customization & Co-op [US]

Multiple Ownable Ships in AC4?

Perusing the pre-order bonuses for various outlets, two things occurred to me:First, some of them are fairly substantial, so I rather hope they're all eventually available as DLC.

Second, however, there are two extra ships of which I'm aware, those being the Black Ship and Stede Bonnet's Ship (I'm happy to see Bonnet making an appearance, since he's exactly the sort of gentleman pirate Edward wants to be.) What these ships seem to suggest is that we will not be limited to the Jackdaw as our only ship. This is somewhat surprising, since Ubi has really emphasized the Jackdaw will be our home, and as much a character as Edward.

If that is indeed the case that we can use multiple ships, it brings up something I've rather hoped for but dismissed as unlikely: The possibility of taking other ships as prizes, either to sell or use as our own. It would seem wanton to sink every ship we defeat, given the taking of prizes was commonplace. Then again, this might be asking wayyyy too much of the developers. I'm just wondering what the general vibe is on the forum regarding the possibility of multiple ships/capturing ships. Does it seem fun? Does it seem feasible?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by GreySkellig View Post
    Perusing the pre-order bonuses for various outlets, two things occurred to me:First, some of them are fairly substantial, so I rather hope they're all eventually available as DLC.
    They will be. It's not even worth worrying about.

As for capturing ships... My gut sort of tells me no, because by the time you conquered the ship, it would probably be torn all to hell anyway. But it is a fact that they've offered different ships as preorder bonuses. I really have no idea how it'll work, but my guess is something like this.

They did say there will still be loading screens when travelling between the main cities, so my guess is that the harbormasters will return. Only this time, instead of selecting missions, you just get a choice of what ship you want to launch. Between the preorder ships and the unlockable ones that will presumably be in the game, Edward will have probably amassed a small fleet, as many real-life pirates actually did. Alternatively, they could all be docked at your headquarters in Nassau, and you just board the one you want to take and set sail.

I doubt all of these ships will be upgradeable though. They'll probably be a bit more powerful than the default Jackdaw in certain respects (i.e. Stede Bonnet's ship might have more guns, the Black Ship might be more maneuverable, etc.) but once fully upgraded, the Jackdaw will be the best in all categories.

That really makes sense. Kinda bummed about the loading screens between cities though. I hadn't heard about it, and I was looking forward to sailing right into Havana with my prize money. Now I'll have a load screen instead. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by GreySkellig View Post

Second, however, there are two extra ships of which I'm aware, those being the Black Ship and Stede Bonnet's Ship (I'm happy to see Bonnet making an appearance, since he's exactly the sort of gentleman pirate Edward wants to be.) What these ships seem to suggest is that we will not be limited to the Jackdaw as our only ship. This is somewhat surprising, since Ubi has really emphasized the Jackdaw will be our home, and as much a character as Edward.

If that is indeed the case that we can use multiple ships, it brings up something I've rather hoped for but dismissed as unlikely: The possibility of taking other ships as prizes, either to sell or use as our own. It would seem wanton to sink every ship we defeat, given the taking of prizes was commonplace. Then again, this might be asking wayyyy too much of the developers. I'm just wondering what the general vibe is on the forum regarding the possibility of multiple ships/capturing ships. Does it seem fun? Does it seem feasible?
    How about instead of an assassin's guild we have a fleet of ships which we can use to attack other ships in specific formations, and can send around the carribean on mission?

Quote Originally Posted by Bastiaen View Post
    How about instead of an assassin's guild we have a fleet of ships which we can use to attack other ships in specific formations, and can send around the carribean on mission?
    That... would actually be pretty cool. Send out ships on raiding missions to replace the recruit contracts in previous games. As long as you could actually captain the ships yourself once they returned.

Don't want to bring the creativty down, but I am pretty sure it's a skin for Edward ship.

Quote Originally Posted by OSantaClownO View Post
    Don't want to bring the creativty down, but I am pretty sure it's a skin for Edward ship.
    That would be disappointing to say the least. Not to mention bordering on false advertising.

I'm sorry to say this, guys, but no. It's just the Jackdaw with different skins (specially the look of the sails). You will be able to control other ships in certain missions, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornik22 View Post
    I'm sorry to say this, guys, but no. It's just the Jackdaw with different skins (specially the look of the sails). You will be able to control other ships in certain missions, though.
    I believe the skin thing. (I had already wondered, was just hoping otherwise.) I agree with LoyalACFan: that is a bit dishonest in terms of advertising. "You get a new ship! JK, it's a paint job."

I have to ask though--where did you get the information that we'll be able to control other ships?

From Carsten Myhill, lead content manager of Ubisoft Montreal. He mentioned this in one interview.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast