Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kelthor, Lord of Ladder Climbing (1501 elo) | Forums

Launch trailer - Might & Magic® X Legacy [UK]

Might & Magic X - Legacy - 4 New Classes Speed Painting trailer [UK]

Might and Magic X Legacy - The Gameplay trailer [UK]

Might & Magic X Legacy -- The Open Dev starts! [EUROPE]

Kelthor, Lord of Ladder Climbing (1501 elo)

Greetings !

Today i reached 1501 elo. It was mostly exhausting and sometimes even frustrating journey for me and one i wouldn't repeat any time soon.
    At first i was just messing around with a new deck at 1300 elo but then a win streak of 50 launched me at 1450 elo and i said, lets go!
    It took me four days, and I'm so happy it's all over so i can enjoy this game once again
    During my climb some of my opponents asked me about the decklist, so here it is:

Hero: Kelthor, Lord of Fury

Creatures:
    4x Goblin Scout
    4x Ranaar Mauler
    4x Blackskull Warchanter
    4x Ranaar Harpy
    2x Blackskull Goblin
    4x Pao Deathseeker
    2x Centaur Archer
    4x Dreamwalker
    4x Crusher
    4x Tainted Orc
    4x Blackskull Vulture Rider

Spells:
    4x Firebolt

Fortunes:
    4x Sacrificial Altar
    2x Cosmic Realignment

Events:
    4x Manastorm
    4x Week of the Dead

It is more or less what is considered nowadays "a standard Kelthor deck", and it's a very fun and rewarding deck to play.
    I don't consider this decklist as final, there are some cards i kept taking in and out as i played, so every advice is welcome.

Briefly about the cards in the deck:

Ranaar Maulers, Blackskull Warchanters, Dreamwalkers, Crushers, Altars: These are the cards this deck is built around, and 4 of each is logical because of that. Reducing the number of the mentioned cards would take this deck in another direction and i don't want that.

Ranaar Harpy: Great defender and an excellent Altar fodder. Can't even think of this deck without it.

Tainted Orc: Same as the Harpy above, plus he is so fat and scary that it takes your opponents attention away from your enragers.

Pao Deathseeker: Nothing new to say about this one, good in almost every deck, really shines in Kelthor deck.

Blackskull Vulture Rider: Perhaps the best card in this deck, and a card best suited for this kind of deck. He can turn dire situation into a completely tolerable or even favorable for you. This is most obvious early game when facing rush decks, but his value falls only slightly as the match progresses.

Goblin Scout: Early game pressure, chump blocker/enrage counter source later on. This deck could do without him.

Centaur Archer: The card that's giving me the most trouble. It doesn't really do anything for me, often times when i have a choice i rather deploy some combination of t2/t1 creatures instead of it. Don't know what to replace it with.

Blackskull Goblin: Great and terrible at the same time. Tried four, and they were too much. I keep him for adrenalin rush and good looks.

Firebolt: Too good to pass by.

Cosmic: The thing is - you can almost hold your own against Tower Otks even without Cosmics, using Altars, Week of the Dead and Kelthor's ability. Stronghold Otk's are harder to deal with even with Crushers out (this isn't the fastest deck out there, so they can spend their first turns doing whatever they like), and that is why i keep them.
    How many Stronghold Otk's have i met on ladder? Just enough that i wouldn't be writing this post if i didn't have the Cosmics.

Manastorm: Ladder decks are predominantly spell based, having this is beyond helpful.

Week of the Dead: I had two and rotated other two event slots between Week of Mercs, Week of Taxes, Week of the Tamed Spirits and Market of Shadows. They were either turned against me too many times (Week of Mercs), just weren't very good (Week of Taxes, Market of Shadows), annoyed me like hell (Week of the tamed Spirits tames the Dreamwalker too) or were combination of everything mentioned, so i settled with 4 Week of the Dead.
    Besides 4x Week of the dead is very useful vs Otks and good at enabling cheesy and unexpected final blows. Sometimes Kelthor's final blow surprises even me - i start out doing one thing and than in the middle of it i realize i can finish the game.

Advice to all players who are just starting to play Kelthor: There will be loses in the beginning. Kelthor is not easy hero to play, learning how to be cost efficient with sacrifices and card drawing/ability using takes time. I got to 1501, but I feel I'm just beginning to learn how to play him properly.

You can find prettier decklist on mmdoc.net: http://www.mmdoc.net/show_deck/2199/

Cya !
    Last edited by LQDBrunt; 05-01-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Gratz!

Questions:
    1) How long the climb had taken?
    2) On creatures: what about DAs, Goblin hunters, and Blackskull clan warlords?

From my experience: tried similar deck, and it was my most successfull creature deck (more than Xorm and WWC-less Kieran). Rejected the Warlords 'cause they hadn't grew more than 4/4/7 far too often (you need to use the hero ability a lot).
    Decided to throw goblin scouts out, as the deck isn't really rush. <itht give them another chance, if you advocating 'em, though.
    Last edited by SvargasUA; 05-01-2013 at 09:41 PM. Reason: edited: scouts

Congratulations! This deck is pretty similar to mine, except I use:

- 4 goblin hunters instead of 2 centaurs and 2 blackskull goblins
    - Shaman hut instead of firebolt
    - DA instead of maulers
    - 4 week of mercs instead of weeks of the dead

I've tried backskull gobbos and they are rather unreliable, you can never know if they will shine or drag your rush down with them Firebolt is obviously more handy than the hut but I'm still keeping it because it can be used as a finisher. I've tried maulers instead of DA but while they can be so much fun with all that enrage, they lack that instant intimidation factor of DA. Plus DA with hut/bolt instantly kills 6hp units, no questions asked Week of mercs has won me a ridiculous amount of games, when I feel it's risky to summon more units I just activate and unleash hell ^^ I usually have 3+ units in the field so it really pays off, esp when 2 of them are active.

Still, I should try your approach for a change. Kelthor is an amazing hero and I want to experience him through many builds.

- Elvin

Quote Originally Posted by SvargasUA View Post
    Gratz!

Questions:
    1) How long the climb had taken?
    2) On creatures: what about DAs, Goblin hunters, and Blackskull clan warlords?

From my experience: tried similar deck, and it was my most successfull creature deck (more than Xorm and WWC-less Kieran). Rejected the Warlords 'cause they hadn't grew more than 4/4/7 far too often (you need to use the hero ability a lot).
    Decided to throw goblin hunters out, as the deck isn't really rush. <itht give them another chance, if you advocating 'em, though.
    Ty,

1. The climb took four days (i wrote it in the op), although at first climbing to 1501 wasn't my intention.
    I was at 1450-ish couple of times with fortune Seria and Kat SA, but couldn't go further.
    2. I only have 1 DA, but even if i had four i wouldn't use them in this deck. This is not aggro deck and they are more suited for aggro Kelthor decks (using stuff like Inner Fire, Cyclops instead of TOrc, and Shaman's Hut).
    Harpy is important here in T2 spot and one period i even had 4 Rogue Mercenaries. You need beefy early game drops (more than 3 hp) both for protection and as an Altar fodder.
    Blackskull Warlords - i don't use them for the same reason you rejected them, in this deck they are basically Tainted Orc that costs one resource more.
    Goblin Hunters - i don't use them in this deck and would never advocate them . If you are thinking about Goblin Scouts, i use them but don't advocate them
    Last edited by LQDBrunt; 05-01-2013 at 09:33 PM.

ty, Elementalist

It seems that your deck is more aggro based, so all the differences are logical.
    I would use 4 Firebolts though.
    Yes DA+Bolt/Hut kills 6 hp creature as long as that creature can be attacked with DA. With Mauler you can kill anywhere on the board and that's what this deck is all about.
    Also DA tends to be zapped the moment he comes out, and with my deck I'm trying to keep all my early creatures alive until i have Dreamwalker/Crusher in the field. Plus they are more fun as you said.
    Week of Mercs won me a ton of games too but as i said, ultimately they proved as a liability more times then i would wish, so i took them out.
    In your setup they fit much better i think.
    BS Goblin - the amount of stuff you can do do with them is amazing, the amount of grief they can do to you is even more amazing But in the end i like them.
    Also i noticed how some players go extremely out of their way just to kill BS Goblin "for free", so that in the end it's anything but "free".

Of course, i don't think this list of mine is the "best one out there", it's made for ladder and fun (although there wasn't much fun for me from 1450-1500).
    Last edited by LQDBrunt; 05-01-2013 at 09:29 PM.

"Goblin Hunters - i don't use them in this deck and would never advocate them . If you are thinking about Goblin Scouts, i use them but don't advocate them " Yeah, scouts, not hunters. Well, putting them in the deck is more than advocating =)

Quote Originally Posted by SvargasUA View Post
    Yeah, scouts, not hunters. Well, putting them in the deck is more than advocating =)
    Your reasoning is false, for example - I'm eating a terrible sandwich atm, but i would never advocate it

Besides in the op on Goblin Scout i wrote "This deck could do without him", which clearly isn't advocating

In my opinion, this is by far the best Kelthor deck i've seen posted here lately. I would change a few cards, but then i would be playing my Kelthor and not yours :P anyway, i feel like every card you're using is a very viable option. The only way to actually improve the deck without much drawback would be removing 2 Weeks of the Dead, but i really understand why you use 4, no other clear option to be used and every single one has its drawbacks, we'll have to wait to see which options the new expansion set brings.
    You say you're just beginning to learn how to play him, but, by reading your posts i can say that you fully understand Kelthor basics already.
    Good job mate, really good deck and congratulations for climbing up to 1501.
    My Kelthor winstreak:

Ty for your compliments Gryphus, coming from the Kelthor Master himself they sure are nice to hear
    Yes - Week of the Dead x4 is not something i find optimal, but that is how it is until the Herald of the Void..
    Cant wait for the expansion, maybe my Centaur Archer troubles will be gone too.
    Btw i just won my 25th Swiss and I'm about the open the Void Rising box.
    This has been a good DoC day

Climbing up with Kelthor deserves respect! Thanks for sharing.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast