Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My two cents on HOMMK | Forums

Launch trailer - Might & Magic® X Legacy [UK]

Might & Magic X - Legacy - 4 New Classes Speed Painting trailer [UK]

Might and Magic X Legacy - The Gameplay trailer [UK]

Might & Magic X Legacy -- The Open Dev starts! [EUROPE]

Post My two cents on HOMMK

Hello,

I used to play HOMMK quite a lot, but stopped playing for over a year. Recently (in the last week) I've fired it back up again. I used to really enjoy the game, so I was excited to be playing again. It seems like there is a huge amount of negativity around the game atm. Some of the posts on this forum make for very grim reading! It's pretty depressing reading some of the things which are written on here.

So I thought I would share some of my thoughts.

I fully appreciate that no-one may be interested in what I have to say, but I figure I have a reasonable right to voice my opinion! In some ways I'm a new player, and in othe ways I'm experienced, so my opinion might be different to some others. Here goes...

1. EVERY web browser game I have played, especially the smaller ones, have problems. It is not unusal to read on the forums for such games complaints about bugs / ballance of the game / perceived lack of development. HOMMK doesn't seem to be any different to me. There are an awful lot of people voicing their frustrations on these forums - these problems are not with HOMMK Only!

2. There are some benefits to playing these "smaller" browser games, with (relatively) few people playing. Specifically you can be an important player in HOMMK more easily - not just an insignificant one amongst many thousands. Yous should also get more of a tight community appearing, since active people get to know each other quickly. It seems to me that there is a tradeoff between this and the problems I mentioned in point 1. Maybe some others feel this way and would see some positivites here, as well as bagging the game for the problems.

3. Fundamentally this game can be really good. The progression and the PvP combat system are good and do produce some really fun battles. There are lots of ways to play (and fight!) and different strategies for success. I've not played many better games when it comes to having a duel with another player over several weeks.

4. Some of the stuff which has been done with seals is ridiculous and really does give huge advantages to people with cash to burn. The selling of artefacts to the NPC merchant for £10k per level is also massively overpowered. Succesful browser games offer advantages to paying members over free players - but there has to be a sensible limit and HOMMK appears to me to have one too far (don't forget that all the paying players were free players at first - you have to encourage the free players too!)

5. The sense of community the game seems very different. In game I've messaged about 10-15 nearby players on my gameworld and had zero replies. There are very few forum posts (but look at all the views, maybe people don't feel like they are involved in the game anymore!) What's this all about? Did everyone get so serious that we can't have a bit of banter / help each other out while we're playing anymore?

Anyway, I've written far more than anyone will realistically read, so I'll end it there Any thoughts / comments are always welcome!

Total_Isola
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I appreciate what you have to say - and I did read it all I have also noticed the deterioration in the sense of community. Two years ago I started playing this game mainly to keep in touch with a group of friends. We had very lively communication and a high level of participation and commitment to our alliance. Now most of those original game friends are long gone... they were not willing to spend the extra money to purchase seals and all the things needed to stay competitive with experienced players spending money on legendary careers and such.

The fact is a lot of the best players have gone (best in every sense, because this game used to be won by the alliance that played together the best). Instead we have players that couldn't quite hack it before, who are now dominating through spending silly money. I've been looking at Heroes that must have cost £60 to create and kit out, and that's before you take into account vestiges and repops to gains troops and XP. These players are generally loners, and will remain so; I know of two that packed the game in because they didn't like comments made by people in their alliance about their seal use. It's the overpowered abilities, solely with cash, that have destroyed the community and made the game a pale shadow of its former self.

I still have fun. I just avoid to play on the same servers with the seal abusers. I mean those who use many seals and have some mediate skills. The other unskillful spenders are just funny to beat. On the ME servers my alliance destroyed almost every single legendary hero with heavy loses for their owners and with really few seals spent, surely less than the free seals gained in those worlds.I imagine that I will stop playing the day when there are no more worlds without seal abusers.

This game was good up until season 3 in my opinion. When UBI introduced the seal system, then the OP vestige rewards, then the artefact shop, and then the legendary heroes, it ruined it. As Thorsson said, the game benefits those willing to fork ridiculous amounts of money on it, which completely destroys the strategy in the game.

I stopped playing just over half way through S3 and have only recently fired up a game on the cooperative U.K. world and the competitive Africa world. So far what I've seen not a lot has changed from season 3 except new game rules for competitiveness and changes to ruins etc in co-op, other than that, it still favors those willing to fork out the cash, and the promises made to re-balance legendary heroes hasn't been done.

I'm a free-2-play player and I use the seals I get from these two worlds to purchase items if I really am desperate, but I'd rather play it with as little seal use as possible. On the other hand, there are worlds where seals etc aren't in the game, but I haven't entered one of these worlds because I've heard the seal price is just too high, but in the future I may try one out if I save enough seals.

Ultimately, the players that were great and wanted the strategy challenge have gone due to the greediness of UBI and all that is left are silver spooners who don't see the value in money, but of course, UBI likes this because their profits increase.

Thanks for all the replies, certainly makes for intersting reading.

I posted this original thread after about 2 days back in the game, so now I have only been back 2-3 weeks. For sure I have not seen any evidence of how seals give people such a massive advantage (although it is very early days and the real fighting is obviously ahead of me...)

As far as I can tell, even with infinite money to buy seals, how big of an advantage can someone really get? OK, you can gain unlimited resources in an inefficient way (buy artifact, sell NPC merchant, trade gold for whatever you need). But, the limit on your troops is still dictated by how fast you can recruit them. So, you can race to max cities and all buildings faster than anyone else, but 2-3 decent players collaborating against the seal abuser should still be able to build bigger total army. (Eventually everyone will catch up to the same troop recruitment availability, and the initial advantage gainned becomes a small percentage over weeks and months of equal recruitment)

The legendary heroes look pretty overpowered, so the seal abusers troops are going to hit harder than the regular players, I'm not sure how big of an impact this is going to have vs a good "normal" hero. Again though, with a bit of cooperation, can this not be overcome.

Am I missing something? Can these players do something so amazing with seals which gives them ridiculously overpowered armies which can't be overcome?

I agree that the seals are giving people a big advantage, but I think the fundamentals of the game still give some ballance, since the same basic constraints apply to all players. So I still think that playing properly and using good tactics gives everyone a chance.

Am I being dumb and missing something? Maybe I am naive now? I guess my opinion will change if some guy comes along with 100x the army power I can muster and seiges me into oblivion

What can you do with lots of seals?
    You can build heroes that don't loose troops when attacked. With these heroes you can siege other towns - maybe someone attacks your hero but without losing troops thats no problem; or you can build heroes where after the attack the enemy looses half of the troops instead of 30%; attack with 3 such heroes, and 90% of his army is gone
    maybe your enemy has a mono stack - you can create heroes that implode each stack with one spell - 100 % with implosion, another 90% with fire ball
    with enough time you can send this heroes into vestiges, and dig unlimited amounts of army ...
    you don't need much money for such big amounts of army - give some of your heroes the right artifact sets, and you get 500K gold after fighting your enemy

It is no problem to have more army than 5 fair playing subscribers; you can win with 30% against 100% army; you can fight out a whole alliance if you are a good player - but of course you can loose against some players if you are a poor player

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by AndreanDW View Post
    What can you do with lots of seals?
    You can build heroes that don't loose troops when attacked. With these heroes you can siege other towns - maybe someone attacks your hero but without losing troops thats no problem; or you can build heroes where after the attack the enemy looses half of the troops instead of 30%; attack with 3 such heroes, and 90% of his army is gone
    maybe your enemy has a mono stack - you can create heroes that implode each stack with one spell - 100 % with implosion, another 90% with fire ball
    with enough time you can send this heroes into vestiges, and dig unlimited amounts of army ...
    you don't need much money for such big amounts of army - give some of your heroes the right artifact sets, and you get 500K gold after fighting your enemy

It is no problem to have more army than 5 fair playing subscribers; you can win with 30% against 100% army; you can fight out a whole alliance if you are a good player - but of course you can loose against some players if you are a poor player
    This is crazy...Can't believe you could do either of these things with a legendary hero. I had no idea. I guess I see now the reason for all the negativity and the reduced numbers of players.

Who wants to invest the time required to play this type of game, only to have it all wiped out by someone with access to game changing options?

Feel a bit depressed by this news, I have really enjoyed the last few weeks getting back into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Total_Isolation View Post
    Thanks for all the replies, certainly makes for intersting reading.

I posted this original thread after about 2 days back in the game, so now I have only been back 2-3 weeks. For sure I have not seen any evidence of how seals give people such a massive advantage (although it is very early days and the real fighting is obviously ahead of me...)
    If you haven't noticed the advantage, then you haven't been looking at the rankings. Specifically honor rankings are usually the first to spike for large seal spenders. Doing vestige dives, repopulating your region, spending for mercenaries early in the game to get larger XP (since they have higher attack), etc. These all cause honor spikes that help you reach higher ranks faster and get more cities faster. More cities gives you more creatures to recruit, more squares for vestiges and repops, more wealth, etc., etc.

As far as I can tell, even with infinite money to buy seals, how big of an advantage can someone really get? OK, you can gain unlimited resources in an inefficient way (buy artifact, sell NPC merchant, trade gold for whatever you need). But, the limit on your troops is still dictated by how fast you can recruit them.
    No, it isn't, thanks to vestiges.

So, you can race to max cities and all buildings faster than anyone else, but 2-3 decent players collaborating against the seal abuser should still be able to build bigger total army. (Eventually everyone will catch up to the same troop recruitment availability, and the initial advantage gainned becomes a small percentage over weeks and months of equal recruitment)
    Anyone doing full time vestige dives can outpace 4 guys doing normal recruiting. I might be low-balling that.

The legendary heroes look pretty overpowered, so the seal abusers troops are going to hit harder than the regular players, I'm not sure how big of an impact this is going to have vs a good "normal" hero. Again though, with a bit of cooperation, can this not be overcome.

Am I missing something? Can these players do something so amazing with seals which gives them ridiculously overpowered armies which can't be overcome?

I agree that the seals are giving people a big advantage, but I think the fundamentals of the game still give some balance, since the same basic constraints apply to all players. So I still think that playing properly and using good tactics gives everyone a chance.

Am I being dumb and missing something? Maybe I am naive now? I guess my opinion will change if some guy comes along with 100x the army power I can muster and seiges me into oblivion
    You will likely find out soon enough. But for a preview, check the honor rankings page. You'll see a clear delineation between the guys who are going ballistic with seals and the ones who are just talented. Usually it's a 5-10x honor point jump over the next guy down.

Others have addressed your statements regarding legendaries, so I won't duplicate that here.

With a 50k stack of imps throwing out over 150k power those early vestige levels aren't going to take very much time at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast