Thread: First Online Experience with GR | Forums

Hello everyone,
    Most won't know me, so I figure I introduce myself a little. Those who play(ed) Il2 might remember me from the forums there, or may even have played on my server back then, waaay back.

I have been posting here since a day or two, and as you can tell I only recently bought this game. Ironicaly the game was in my posession since year, it came with my gfx card, tho the patch made the cd non-functional. I always intended to try and get a replacement, but its just one of those things easily put off. I also noticed that it was a tactical squad based game and I generaly don't like those. I tried rogue spear and etc, swat 2/3 and I just didn't get into it. So I was reluctant to buy it. Two days ago I found a deal I couldn't resist (it was a war pack with 5 games for about â€20) and it had the complete works of Ghost Recon.

I feared that working with seperate teams and giving orders that it would distract my attention from actually playing and thus enjoying the game, but it was fairly easy to do. Almost a matter of point and click and move forward step by step. Of course, it still had a rather steep learning curve, compared to most shooters I used to play. Mission one took me about a whole day (24 hrs) to complete, getting used to the game and etc. Mind you, that is on the EASY setting I think I took about an hour ingame time to finish it. 59 minutes or so it says after completing. Tho it uses the MP name, so now it has been completed by defPlayer I fixed that immediately.

I started doing some missions and getting used to the very different way of playing. I have played FPS games (bhd, vc, moh are one of my favs atm) prior to this and sim games (nascar/gp4/il2). I'm also one of the older gamers, so I kind of like the slow pace of GR compared to running like mad in quake/unreal type games (not to mention all the tricks they do, I'm not about to try a rocket-jump in GR using a bazooka).

I'm having a blast, that's for sure. And the game looks still good to me, and at least it runs smooth on my slow system with all settings up. Most upcoming games I won't be able to play anymore, and I can only hope that GR2 will.

Going online
    Getting Ase and Ghost Recon to work over a router wasn't an easy task, but with some IM's back and forth I finaly got it to work. Yay.

The dueling went well, but got a bit boring. So I toyed around with some of the server settings and added some AI backup and made it a team vs team game type. At first I was having too much fun to notice some of the weird things, but the longer I played the more it showed.

I had a couple of times happening that an enemy shoots me in the back through a wall. At some points you could see the gun stick out.

In some areas I could see the enemy run for cover and its shadow would strangely flick over the wall. I tried shooting at it and to my amazement I got a kill that way. Other ways I got kills is by shooting the very top of a hat, in the hand or foot. I guess that's like instant bloodloss? Wink Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I'm just summing up a few things that I notice which most of you guys know about.

Is there a way to fix it by using a mod that doesn't permanently remove other thigns that I still use (like threat indicator and recticle etc). Tho the recticle might be the easiest to part with, since I can have an alternative view on the guns (with sights). not sure if that works for all guns, kind of like vc. haven't tried it.

Another thing that I noticed was that the AI can be complete idiots at one point and utter geniuses the next. For example, I tried setting up a small ambush using two corners and a doorway. I wanted to space the men a bit wide so they don't all get instant killed by a grenade, launched or otherwise. I wasn't able to do this. Whenever I picked a guy, even on hold, as soon as I move they move.

I also had one group near a doorway. I had my view across the side of the wall, but when I switched to another team they were all trying to get into the corner of the doorway o.O I had hope that they would direct fire the direction I was facing before switching. How can I do this better?

All in all I had a blast and we went on into the wee lil hours. We tried hooking up on other servers afterwards, but with him only having GR our choices were pretty slim.

See you out there

[This message was edited by Miss-Kitten on Thu July 01 2004 at 02:53 AM.]
    Salute,

[b]Flying with Fighting Irish Virtual Squadron[url=http://www.usvaf.com/] and with United States V
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hello everyone,
    Most won't know me, so I figure I introduce myself a little. Those who play(ed) Il2 might remember me from the forums there, or may even have played on my server back then, waaay back.

I have been posting here since a day or two, and as you can tell I only recently bought this game. Ironicaly the game was in my posession since year, it came with my gfx card, tho the patch made the cd non-functional. I always intended to try and get a replacement, but its just one of those things easily put off. I also noticed that it was a tactical squad based game and I generaly don't like those. I tried rogue spear and etc, swat 2/3 and I just didn't get into it. So I was reluctant to buy it. Two days ago I found a deal I couldn't resist (it was a war pack with 5 games for about â€20) and it had the complete works of Ghost Recon.

I feared that working with seperate teams and giving orders that it would distract my attention from actually playing and thus enjoying the game, but it was fairly easy to do. Almost a matter of point and click and move forward step by step. Of course, it still had a rather steep learning curve, compared to most shooters I used to play. Mission one took me about a whole day (24 hrs) to complete, getting used to the game and etc. Mind you, that is on the EASY setting I think I took about an hour ingame time to finish it. 59 minutes or so it says after completing. Tho it uses the MP name, so now it has been completed by defPlayer I fixed that immediately.

I started doing some missions and getting used to the very different way of playing. I have played FPS games (bhd, vc, moh are one of my favs atm) prior to this and sim games (nascar/gp4/il2). I'm also one of the older gamers, so I kind of like the slow pace of GR compared to running like mad in quake/unreal type games (not to mention all the tricks they do, I'm not about to try a rocket-jump in GR using a bazooka).

I'm having a blast, that's for sure. And the game looks still good to me, and at least it runs smooth on my slow system with all settings up. Most upcoming games I won't be able to play anymore, and I can only hope that GR2 will.

Going online
    Getting Ase and Ghost Recon to work over a router wasn't an easy task, but with some IM's back and forth I finaly got it to work. Yay.

The dueling went well, but got a bit boring. So I toyed around with some of the server settings and added some AI backup and made it a team vs team game type. At first I was having too much fun to notice some of the weird things, but the longer I played the more it showed.

I had a couple of times happening that an enemy shoots me in the back through a wall. At some points you could see the gun stick out.

In some areas I could see the enemy run for cover and its shadow would strangely flick over the wall. I tried shooting at it and to my amazement I got a kill that way. Other ways I got kills is by shooting the very top of a hat, in the hand or foot. I guess that's like instant bloodloss? Wink Don't get me wrong, I love the game, I'm just summing up a few things that I notice which most of you guys know about.

Is there a way to fix it by using a mod that doesn't permanently remove other thigns that I still use (like threat indicator and recticle etc). Tho the recticle might be the easiest to part with, since I can have an alternative view on the guns (with sights). not sure if that works for all guns, kind of like vc. haven't tried it.

Another thing that I noticed was that the AI can be complete idiots at one point and utter geniuses the next. For example, I tried setting up a small ambush using two corners and a doorway. I wanted to space the men a bit wide so they don't all get instant killed by a grenade, launched or otherwise. I wasn't able to do this. Whenever I picked a guy, even on hold, as soon as I move they move.

I also had one group near a doorway. I had my view across the side of the wall, but when I switched to another team they were all trying to get into the corner of the doorway o.O I had hope that they would direct fire the direction I was facing before switching. How can I do this better?

All in all I had a blast and we went on into the wee lil hours. We tried hooking up on other servers afterwards, but with him only having GR our choices were pretty slim.

See you out there

[This message was edited by Miss-Kitten on Thu July 01 2004 at 02:53 AM.]

Miss-Kitten,
    Welcome to the game and it is good to hear that you like it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> my gfx card,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I understand you have since bought another copy of the game. If that first one you got was bundled with an MSI card,
    you can patch it to 1.4 by using one of these fixes:
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=t...32&m=806102732
    http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums?a=t...2732#466102732

We will all agree the friendly AI can be idiots.
    Not only can you set waypoints using the command map, you can set their firing arcs. Hold down on the L mouse button for an extended time and an indicator will appear which you can swivel for a firing arc. This is not always 100%.
    Your AI will generally face in the direction of unseen enemy, if there are none in view at the time.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I had a couple of times happening that an enemy shoots me in the back through a wall. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    There are some bugs an glitches in the game, and to my knowledge have not been addressed in anyway. Just give those glitchers a good cussing. If they are wall glitching, sometimes you can shoot them back thru the wall, especially if you can see their weapon.
    Yeah, it is odd you can take an enemy out with a foot or elbow shot, but that is the nature of the game.

The alternative view you speak of is strictly that, a view. Pressing F2 turns the game over to the AI, and you can not fire a weapon while in this mode. You can switch to different views by pressing F1. Hit F2 again to return yourself to the action. While in the F2 mode, you can still direct the three teams via the command map.

http://ghostrecon.net/ lots of mods
    http://ghostrecon.3dretreat.com/newbie_guide.asp

Hello Wombat, thanks for the reply. I'm sorry for the lenghty intro, I have tried to keep it ... short *cough*

As for the glitch yes, it seems to work both ways because i also have been able to shoot one down (here they say tango, in vc its constant charlie lol, very confusing) by aiming at the weapon sticking out. Too bad they haven't fixed this then.

and I had no idea about the fix for the game. Yes it is a MSI gfx card, the geforce ti 4200 128mb, and Ghost Recon was in it as well as morrowind (which gave me the same problem tho the expansions I bought fixed the game, go figure). This is good to remember, I just talked to my niece who plays socom, so i guess it runs in the family after all. I might try and slip her my oem version with these above patches hehe.

As for the waypoints and the fire arch, I have done that in single player but that doesn't work in multiplayer and using the AI backup I at least, didn't get that part to work, and the AI was kind of stubborn to control. Almost as if they were sleeping lol

(as for not knowing about the patch, I only have internet again for about a month ) I think I've been offline for a good 8 months. that was pure torture.

ps.: Love the link for ghost recon retreat. Excellent reading there. thanks a lot.
    Salute,

[b]Flying with Fighting Irish Virtual Squadron[url=http://www.usvaf.com/] and with United States V

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>As for the waypoints and the fire arch, I have done that in single player but that doesn't work in multiplayer and using the AI backup I at least, didn't get that part to work, and the AI was kind of stubborn to control. Almost as if they were sleeping lol
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is the upper LH portion of the player setup scrn in MP.
    You may know this already, but if you don't...
    To be able to set waypoints online you have to have the most votes for team leader, which is done by placing yourself in one of the 3 platoons and putting an X by your name or whoever you want to be team ldr.
    Yeah, dang that AI. Setting your Rules of Engagement[ROE] keys properly does help.
    -[default keys]this will affect the roes of all squads.
    4 hold
    5 advance
    6 advance at all cost
    -one of the following is used in combination with one of the above
    7 recon
    8 assault
    9 suppress
    You can individually assign squads their roes on the command map screen.

For example:
    -5/7 [advance/recon] moves at slowest pace; will stop and hold when spotting the enemy and generally not fire until their roe is changed or they are fired upon.
    -5/8 [adv/assault]moves at a faster pace; holds and fires when spotting an enemy.

Generally I use assault instead of suppress because the AIs fire will be more accurate and not as wasteful. On suppress, they fire even if they can't see the enemy.
    Setting roes is helpful, but not 100%, they are still idiots.