Thread: Problems that haven't been addressed yet in AC4 previews | Forums

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member

Problems that haven't been addressed yet in AC4 previews

Having read a few of the previews so far, they all mostly talk about the same new features but don't really address some issues hardcore fans of the series would likely be interested in.

Here are just a few important things I think the devs will need to address at some point as more details about the game start to spill:

-Unfogging the map: considering we will spend a lot of time at sea, how will unfogging the map work? Having to uncover most of the map on foot or horseback in AC3 was tedious as hell. Will viewpoints be ditched entirely or will they be more useful again like they used to be?

-Does fast travel still exist?

-Side missions: will they have proper context this time, like the assassination contracts in AC2/ACB? Or will they be boring "go here, press this button" errands like in AC3?

-The need for stealth. AC3's response to complaints about the increasing lack of stealth options was to give us the forts, which technically allowed you to sneak in undetected like a true assassin. The problem was that there was never any real need for Connor to be stealthy, apart from arbitrary missions constraints like 100% sync objectives or insta-desynch upon detection. I see even less reason for a pirate like Edward to be stealthy in any given situation, whether or not he was trained by the brotherhood. The problem with the series currently isn't that you can't use stealth, it's that 99% of the time there's no reason why you should.

-Notoriety system: since it's being ditched apparently, how will this impact our relationship with the local authorities, inhabitants and the need for stealth?

-Is full synch back? If so, will the mission constraints be more subtle this time? The objectives have always been optional, but what bugs most people about them is the big red text saying you failed something if you didn't do all the objectives.

-Will any old, unaddressed plot points from the Desmond saga be addressed in the new game, like the mystery around Eve and Subject 16 mentioning Desmond's son?

Feel free to add any points you think are important and should be addressed somewhere down the line. Not talking about things like "will we be able to dye our robes?" but actual gameplay mechanics and such that you feel have been lacking so far.

-The need for stealth. AC3's response to complaints about the increasing lack of stealth options was to give us the forts, which technically allowed you to sneak in undetected like a true assassin. The problem was that there was never any real need for Connor to be stealthy, apart from arbitrary missions constraints like 100% sync objectives or insta-desynch upon detection. I see even less reason for a pirate like Edward to be stealthy in any given situation, whether or not he was trained by the brotherhood. The problem with the series currently isn't that you can't use stealth, it's that 99% of the time there's no reason why you should.
    Assassin's Creed didn't have a NEED for stealth ever since... ACI, really. I had a full stealth run of Sibrand's assassination (nobody noticed me coming in, killing Sibrand and getting out). Might have had as well go in with sword in hand and just kill everybody, wouldn't have made a difference. AC3 really has most stealth options than any of the previous games, but the need for stealth hasn't increased precisely for the same reason. Really, the best way to increase the need for stealth is to make combat more challenging, and have you more fragile and die quicker if hit.

-Fast Travel. I think it should be in, but i think it should follow the skyrim route i.e you have to discover it/ go there once on your own, that is, if the game turns out to be as open as it's being presented to be. Maybe that's how viewpoints could be implemented as well.

Locopells's Avatar AC Forum Mod
    I guess there'll still be viewpoints, but only on land. At sea's there's no real need, if the random stuff truly is random. That said, you might have specific areas for specific types of events.

I would be surprised if there isn't fast travel. They'll need a mechanic, for those who aren't bothered about the optional stuff, to skip it.

The Need for Stealth (see what I did there?!) will have to wait and see. but - and this ties into the next point - if notoriety is working GTA style, then we'll be unable to just kill everyone between us and out objective.

As to the last two, we'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

SixKeys's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by Locopells Go to original post

The Need for Stealth (see what I did there?!) will have to wait and see. but - and this ties into the next point - if notoriety is working GTA style, then we'll be unable to just kill everyone between us and out objective.
    I've never played GTA. How does notoriety work there?

Rugterwyper32's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    -Unfogging the map: considering we will spend a lot of time at sea, how will unfogging the map work? Having to uncover most of the map on foot or horseback in AC3 was tedious as hell. Will viewpoints be ditched entirely or will they be more useful again like they used to be?

-Does fast travel still exist?

-Notoriety system: since it's being ditched apparently, how will this impact our relationship with the local authorities, inhabitants and the need for stealth?

-Is full synch back? If so, will the mission constraints be more subtle this time? The objectives have always been optional, but what bugs most people about them is the big red text saying you failed something if you didn't do all the objectives.

I'll give my thoughts on this 4 points.

- I have the feeling that you'll have an overall naval map, but when closing up you'll have the fogged up map. Viewpoints would be various in the case of cities, and then you'd have viewpoints around the various islands/locations you visit. That's my take on it.

- Chances are it does. Probably closer to a Fallout system where you can fast travel to locations you've found?

- I have the feeling that it will be closer to how AC1 handled it only that it wouldn't be as incredibly overreactive as it was in AC1 with the Kingdom and the such. I also hope that it would mean post-assassination escapes.

- As far as I know, they mentioned getting rid of Full Sync. Actually, I just checked the topic talking about that, and gonna take the quote from there. "We give you a simple objective and you use whatever tools and mechanics you have at your disposal to accomplish this goal"

Great list!!! I also really wondered how ditching the notoriety system will work in practice. There must be some system preventing us from going on a killing spree in Havanna? Full synch has been so criticized all over the web that I can't imagine that there won't be some tweaks to it.

Here are a few more:

- Have they done any tweaks to the freerunning system? For example the issue of running up a wall when you didn't want to.
    - Gadgets. Are smoke bombs, mines, ropedart doing a comeback (I'm fine either way). What new ones are there?
    - More variation to trees? Tree parkour was awesome, but more variation is needed to make it even better.
    - Animal interaction. Is it still QTE based?
    - Horses I guess are gone?
    - Underwater combat: does it exist? how will it work?
    - Economy system. Seems like the overall goal is to get money to upgrade your ship? What else? Is trading back? Crafting? Can we buy houses etc?
    - Do we have a homebase, like Homestead, or is the ship our floating base?

Locopells's Avatar AC Forum Mod
    Originally Posted by SixKeys Go to original post
    I've never played GTA. How does notoriety work there?
    The longer you stay in open combat, the more and stronger enemies there are/become. They just keep spawning, so sooner or later, you'll die, unless you get out of the area (or cheat...).

ACfan443's Avatar Senior Member
    I have an idea for unfogging the map, viewpoints in cities will remain, however at sea there could be 'synchronising areas' where you halt your ship, climb the mast and synchronise.

As for unanswered questions, I want to know whether the present day activities will be in first person perspective, and how much Juno's plot will be developed.

TheHumanTowel's Avatar Senior Member
    About the need for stealth, in the IGN interview when talking about the jungle they said it would be a very stealthy environment. That you don't have to be stealthy but if you aren't "Good Luck". Obviously that's not a concrete answer to your question but it still shows that they aren't approaching everything as a 50/50 between stealth and action.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... Last ►►