Thread: Settlers IV gold and Windows 8? | Forums

Settlers IV gold and Windows 8?

Haven't played this game in many years, so I found it on Amazon, and bought it. I installed it and patched it to "2.50.1516." I tried to run it, but the screen flashes through a series of resolutions, then produces an error saying it can't initialize 3D software and hardware. I have DirectX-11 installed.

It was a shot in the dark hoping this would work in the first place. What are some things I can try or is this just impossible?

Thanks for any help in advance :-)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Settlers Moderator sings_in_tune's Avatar
    You should probably just contact Support. People are having trouble getting Settlers 7 to run on Windows 8.

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/list
    Click on "Ask a Question" and log in with your Uplay account. (or create a Uplay account, I guess)

EDIT:
    I was aware this is a thread about Settlers IV. My comment referencing S7 unfortunately caused the thread to get off topic. Sorry.
    I have deleted one of my posts.
    Last edited by sings_in_tune; 07-17-2014 at 08:25 PM.

I had trouble with the game freezing on windows 8 until I updated my Nvidia driver to 310,90 version and the Nvidia windows 8 software. Played a full 3 hour game today without a single glitch. I have a GTX 550 Ti card and it was really unstable. Update to latest video drivers for windows 8 but do it from within you graphic card software - windows 8 didn`t find the update I had to find it myself.

I originally thought it was the Windows 8 but since updating the video driver not just the Settlers 7 has behaved itself so have most other programs that have played up since installing it. I have also downloaded a program called Classic Shell and configured the windows 8 to look like windows 7 so I can carry one using my pc as I was before but now have the advantages of windows 8 and metro when I need it. I am much happier about the OS upgrade than I was.

Could I point out the original poster asked about settlers 4, not 7?

I am also having this issue. Also would like to point out, this is for Settler IV, not Settlers 7

It's Settlers 4 being discussed, you guys are pretty dull

I also am having the same issue as the original poster so this is a bump. to see if anyone has had any luck because there is no posting in over a year.

I've had some success playing Settlers IV on Windows 8.1 64-bit with DXGL. The current release (0.5.2) almost works - just some minor graphics corruption which is already fixed for the next release.

I burnt 6 hours yesterday smashing the dark tribe!

There is just one other minor issue - from time to time, the display either gets lots of blacked out areas or seems to freeze. To resolve, you need to switch back to the desktop and back to Settlers - ie.:

1. Hit Ctrl-Alt-Del
    2. Hit Esc
    3. Switch back to Settlers

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Gizabere; 07-18-2014 at 04:17 PM.