Thread: Settlers IV gold and Windows 8? | Forums

Settlers IV gold and Windows 8?

Haven't played this game in many years, so I found it on Amazon, and bought it. I installed it and patched it to "2.50.1516." I tried to run it, but the screen flashes through a series of resolutions, then produces an error saying it can't initialize 3D software and hardware. I have DirectX-11 installed.

It was a shot in the dark hoping this would work in the first place. What are some things I can try or is this just impossible?

Thanks for any help in advance :-)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

You should probably just contact Support. People are having trouble getting Settlers 7 to run on Windows 8.

http://ubisoft.custhelp.com/app/answers/list
    Click on "Ask a Question" and log in with your Uplay account. (or create a Uplay account, I guess)

I had trouble with the game freezing on windows 8 until I updated my Nvidia driver to 310,90 version and the Nvidia windows 8 software. Played a full 3 hour game today without a single glitch. I have a GTX 550 Ti card and it was really unstable. Update to latest video drivers for windows 8 but do it from within you graphic card software - windows 8 didn`t find the update I had to find it myself.

Yes, I had trouble with the latest Nvidia drivers freezing up Settlers 7. The first time I ran it with the 310.90 it froze so I'm back to 306.97.

Funny how we use . for decimals in North America, but Europeans use , .

So I guess Windows 8 is not a problem at all.
    Last edited by sings_in_tune; 01-15-2013 at 06:33 PM.
    Quad core Phenom II @3.00 GHertz | NVidia GeForce GT 620 | Windows 7 64bit | ZTE MF28B Router (Rogers Rocket Hub)

I originally thought it was the Windows 8 but since updating the video driver not just the Settlers 7 has behaved itself so have most other programs that have played up since installing it. I have also downloaded a program called Classic Shell and configured the windows 8 to look like windows 7 so I can carry one using my pc as I was before but now have the advantages of windows 8 and metro when I need it. I am much happier about the OS upgrade than I was.

Could I point out the original poster asked about settlers 4, not 7?

I am also having this issue. Also would like to point out, this is for Settler IV, not Settlers 7

It's Settlers 4 being discussed, you guys are pretty dull

I also am having the same issue as the original poster so this is a bump. to see if anyone has had any luck because there is no posting in over a year.