Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    ecma4's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    961

    GRFS: Sequel confirmed, Kiev probably doing PC port. Kiev says they did a "great job"

    Hey guys, while digging for some kind of update about 1.6, I stumbled across this image from an internal Ubisoft Kiev Annual meeting.There is lots to comment on in this photo, the first thing is clearly the (not surprising) confirmation that GRFS: Next is happening. Further we know that it is indeed (as of now anyways) planned for a PC release, and we also know that unfortunately Ubisoft Kiev will likely be responsible for the PC release again. I say unfortunately because GRFS was/is such a disaster.More interesting is the bullet point "Released a really great game under tough working conditions." That definitely makes me wonder "what was tough about it?" Things that pop to my mind as possibilities are:
    • Tight timeline, resulting in a rushed development
    • Too small of a budget
    • Too small of a team



    Whatever they feel was "tough" about the working conditions for this game, it undoubtedly plays a big role in the launch quality of the game. They mention both UI and multiplayer as notable "great work™", which as a customer I find very frustrating, because I feel both these things were very far from "great," especially with the multiplayer still being very broken today for a very large percentage of customers.

    If they feel the GRFS PC release was so great™ it really makes me wonder if they even hear/see/care about the feedback & customer frustrations expressed on this forum. Are there so many filters & layers between us and them that they don't even have a clear picture of what we think about their game, or do they simply not care? Are they really so out of touch?

    And its not like this is an external document where you maintain a positive attitude for the press. This is an internal document, this slide would lead us to believe that they are generally happy with the Quality of the PC release and the level of support since.Very interesting anyways.
    Share this post

  2. #2
    I am surprised they are going to make another game. The sales were terrible, and who knows how many returns there was at retail stores. Just look at the number of active players on any platform at any time. I have seen indie games on steam with larger active player numbers.

    The DEVS did a terrible job.
    Share this post

  3. #3
    Nice find ecma4! Although it doesn't bring us much about the upcoming patch, it does bring some potential reasons why GRFS PC became what it is now. Based upon the sudden announcement back in January about the PC version being back in development, the "tough" conditions were probably and likely due to the limitation of time. I am assuming that they only had a few months to put the PC version together (January 2012 to June 2012), which is only 5 - 6 months in development.

    Based on this assumption, I overall believe that they did do a good job considering the short time frame that they were given. However, the game still has many issues that still need to be addressed, and hopefully the upcoming patch will show what Ubisoft Kiev can do when they are given time and our patience.
    Share this post

  4. #4
    djack10's Avatar Banned
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    92
    Originally Posted by ablekill3r Go to original post
    I am surprised they are going to make another game. The sales were terrible, and who knows how many returns there was at retail stores. Just look at the number of active players on any platform at any time. I have seen indie games on steam with larger active player numbers.

    The DEVS did a terrible job.
    The sales were good what are you talking about? Best selling game of the GR series. If you are only talking about PC sales then disregard my comment.
    Share this post

  5. #5
    RAPXTOR's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,022
    Originally Posted by ecma4 Go to original post
    Hey guys, while digging for some kind of update about 1.6, I stumbled across this image from an internal Ubisoft Kiev Annual meeting.



    There is lots to comment on in this photo, the first thing is clearly the (not surprising) confirmation that GRFS: Next is happening. Further we know that it is indeed (as of now anyways) planned for a PC release, and we also know that unfortunately Ubisoft Kiev will likely be responsible for the PC release again. I say unfortunately because GRFS was/is such a disaster.

    More interesting is the bullet point "Released a really great game under tough working conditions." That definitely makes me wonder "what was tough about it?" Things that pop to my mind as possibilities are:
    • Tight timeline, resulting in a rushed development
    • Too small of a budget
    • Too small of a team


    Whatever they feel was "tough" about the working conditions for this game, it undoubtedly plays a big role in the launch quality of the game.

    They mention both UI and multiplayer as notable "great work™", which as a customer I find very frustrating, because I feel both these things were very far from "great," especially with the multiplayer still being very broken today for a very large percentage of customers.

    If they feel the GRFS PC release was so great™ it really makes me wonder if they even hear/see/care about the feedback & customer frustrations expressed on this forum. Are there so many filters & layers between us and them that they don't even have a clear picture of what we think about their game, or do they simply not care? Are they really so out of touch? And its not like this is an external document where you maintain a positive attitude for the press. This is an internal document, this slide would lead us to believe that they are generally happy with the Quality of the PC release and the level of support since.

    Very interesting anyways.
    Good find indeed, are you sure that they are talking about the PC version? Because if they really are talking about the PC, let me questioning, in what world do they live, is their reality the same was our, because GRFS was indeed a great idea in the paper, but far from great in developement, was for the time belvucker4, sorry to say but you are wrong, the PC version was develop right from the start, it was cancelled during about 5 to 6 months, and then they return to development by Ubisoft order, so there is no excuse to launch a game in the conditions that GRFS come to the stores, and if our opinion doesnt mean anything for them, they should read the reviews all over the Internet to see how "great" was their Work, I simple find this another joke, how bad can a person be, to not see what is right on front of them, and if they really going to built another one, without this becoming a playable game, my support end here, I simple cant go against my principles, there are other studios that need support, and they make a lot more effort on development.
    Share this post

  6. #6
    ecma4's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    961
    Originally Posted by RAPT0R0 Go to original post
    Good find indeed, are you sure that they are talking about the PC version?
    Ya, this is definitely about the PC version. I'm starting to wonder if the slow updates for GRFS are because the team was pulled onto the AC3 port. Kiev did that too, right after GRFS launched.
    Share this post

  7. #7
    RAPXTOR's Avatar Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    1,022
    Originally Posted by ecma4 Go to original post
    Ya, this is definitely about the PC version. I'm starting to wonder if the slow updates for GRFS are because the team was pulled onto the AC3 port. Kiev did that too, right after GRFS launched.
    I didnt know they are responsables by the AC3, now im worried, because AC3 multiplayer is a total let down, with many issues, if they have to fix it first, i dont think we have a patch any time soon
    Share this post

  8. #8
    Maybe the sale of the PC verison actually exceeds their expectaion, because of, you know, TF2 hats perhaps?
    Share this post

  9. #9
    Originally Posted by CrazyPaladin Go to original post
    Maybe the sale of the PC verison actually exceeds their expectaion, because of, you know, TF2 hats perhaps?
    I got them for the hats! lol
    Share this post

  10. #10
    Originally Posted by ecma4 Go to original post

    You have got be kidding me.

    DX11: One of the worst jobs of optimizing I've seen in games. Graphics were crap.

    Multiplayer: I'm sorry, what? Oh...Multiplayer...ROFL. I've seen better multiplayer from CoD.

    UI: Fact you can view the controls from the in-mission pause menu was very, very annoying.
    Share this post