Thread: Far Cry 3: Single Player Gameplay Feedback [NO SPOILERS PLEASE] | Forums

fast travel

Originally Posted by ckmi1 Go to original post
    after downloading, installing and 2 patches (2.5 hours)
    the game starts and all these tutorials and charter bios which lead you in into the menu, which is cumbersome: Easy to get into but can be hard to get out of. Once you get through the 15 or 20 tutorials you can play the game. Then comes the tutorial on fast travel which instructs you to left click on fast travel icon and it does not work. The when you can play the game; game play and the graphics are nice. Then you get to drive an atv after failing a time challenge 8 times, due to the very sensitive steering controls. I complete the atv with 1 second to spare. Then comes the red rock challenge, did i miss the tutorial about the time barrels in this red rock challenges. After my demise for the second time in the rrc and 1.5 hours of play time. I quit the game, with flash backs of mind numbing far cry 2 in my head.
    The only question i have : What do i need to do to request a refund?
    how do you get fast travel to work , i am new to this game and i can not get past the first part where i collect the plant and the two boar skins ????????????

Butcherbird59's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by captalexusa Go to original post
    how do you get fast travel to work , i am new to this game and i can not get past the first part where i collect the plant and the two boar skins ????????????
    Double click on fast travel icon and it should work once you are entitled to FT ( the tutorial tells you)

The boars/plants collection is a bit tricky - do exactly as requested by the tutorial (collect the plants (ALL) *first* then kill/skin the boars (as they appear) if you step out of line the mission fails. The tutorial is not perfect (sometimes confusing) and don't forget to craft *all* syringes or you will never finish the tutorial.

I hope you still read this thread, because I really don't want to go through the same things again in Far Cry 4. Anyway, PC gamer here. There's a few points I'd like to adress.

1. Being able to see loot on your map before you have found it makes no sense and undoes some of the work you've done creating all these landscapes. Like, there are always some in-landscape hints that there is something special somewhere. A shipwreck, a toppled car, a ruin, a buoy. I'm not noticing these subtle hints now because the minimap (and the bought lootmap) is the overpowering factor. It's a shame and, frankly, a shot in your own foot.

2. I don't see the point of tagging enemies. How does making the game ridiculously easy make it a better game? Seriously, super-man eyes? The player character isn't even wearing a heads up display. Alright, coddle the occasional inept or casual console gamer if you have to, but give us the option not to have it.

3. Stop making interactibles blink, it looks ridiculous and vastly reduces immersion when you put so much effort into how pretty the world looks and interacts. I used a hex edit to turn it off and I never had any problems with it. Sometimes an animal would be harder to find when I killed it in tall grass. But hey, I was the one who shot it exactly there, didn't I? It's realistic and my own responsibility. Give us a toggle, if you desperately need to make this easy for everyone.

4. Those automated stores bothered me. You've created several 'real' shopkeepers and stores, but the player hardly interacts with them because the automated ones are everywhere. Again, you're shooting yourself in your own foot by creating an element that makes others obsolete. How we manage and get rid of our loot should be our own responsibility. We don't need assurances that we can get rid of stuff anywhere at any time. Yeah, sometimes that requires a trip back to town - in an environment as active and pretty as the Rook Islands, that's should't really be a problem.

5. There's always a lot going on when you trek through the jungle. But sometimes you find yourself backtracking more than a bit because you suddenly noticed or heard something. It is at times like these when it becomes a bit too apparent that the game constantly dumps and refills world-cells with new content. It can be a bit weird and immersion breaking at times, especially on high resolutions where it's easy to look quite a bit in the distance. I suggest at least doubling the distance the game engine currently uses, it would go a long way.

6. It's good that there is a small modding community for Far Cry 3. I would have stopped playing the game long ago if it wasn't for those people who have contributed to it. However, the vast majority of these 'mods' are hex edits. I don't appreciate having to resort to a hex editor to mod this game, but I put my feelings aside dealt with it. I know not everyone would have done that. Ubisoft, it's probably wishful thinking (though no more than the rest of these points I'm trying ot make), but I would love to see you step forward a bit and meet the modders at least half-way. Give them some more tools to alter game content at their whim. See what supporting their modding communities did for Bethesda Softworks, Bioware or Egosoft. Take your advantage.

7. Source-less light, in caves and sometimes buildings. It's my number graphical gripe in nearly every game I have played. It simply cannot go unmentioned on this list.

8. I dislike the inability to holster my weapon. Please give it to us. I want to be able to stand-down and just explore / do stuff.

I understand you want to coddle the console players as they are your main squeeze, but this level of simplification is just silly. The game could be so much better, so much more interesting, but it's burried into an excess of hand-holding and finger pointing. Dare to make the game hard, OR give us more toggles to do this stuff ourselves.

Thanks for giving us a place to put our feedback. I hope you will take this to heart still.

Originally Posted by Tricky1481 Go to original post
    4. Those automated stores bothered me. You've created several 'real' shopkeepers and stores, but the player hardly interacts with them because the automated ones are everywhere. Again, you're shooting yourself in your own foot by creating an element that makes others obsolete. How we manage our get rid of our loot or buy our weapons should be our own responsibility, we don't need assurances that we can get rid of stuff anywhere at any time. Yeah, sometimes that requires a trip back to town - in an environment as active and pretty as the Rook Islands, that's should't really be a problem.
    I agree with all of these points, and number 4 in particular. Money quickly became useless after you received guns for free from liberating towers. And as you said, they create a gorgeous map to explore and yet make every effort possible to encourage you to not actually trek through it by implementing a fast travel system and placing auto guns shops across the map - very bizarre. I picked up blood dragon recently and I couldn't help but laugh during one of the first missions you are required to fast travel back a base to complete the mission when it is only like 100 yards away - and your character runs like a gazelle in that game to boot!

Originally Posted by ZookPS3 Go to original post
    I agree with all of these points, and number 4 in particular. Money quickly became useless after you received guns for free from liberating towers. And as you said, they create a gorgeous map to explore and yet make every effort possible to encourage you to not actually trek through it by implementing a fast travel system and placing auto guns shops across the map - very bizarre. I picked up blood dragon recently and I couldn't help but laugh during one of the first missions you are required to fast travel back a base to complete the mission when it is only like 100 yards away - and your character runs like a gazelle in that game to boot!
    I was going to leave out the fast travelling bit because it's such a sensitive issue with gamers in many games these days, but yes.. I agree with you there also. It's a shame, but fast travel is in fashion. Removing that will probably only serve to anger gamers.

You remind me of another issue actually. I feel that walking speed is just a tad to high? Indoors it feels too fast, outdoors it can be.. alright. Ish. I think it must be because consoles have analogue movement controls, and they can walk however fast they want? It's a pity we PC gamers can't have that, but I don't really know what to do about it. Either more in-game settings or an analogue keyboard, I guess?

Linearity = BAD design

Listen, I believe I have some valid, crucial, fundamental point here:

1. The good = attacks on enemy outpost and all the game mechanics related to it, like enemy AI. Also - radio towers switchin on.
    2. The bad = all the linear mission not related to the above mechanics! Like the game telling you "press LMB, press RMB and so on"

If you create mechanics for point 1, USE THEM IN POINT 2! For example: if the main character has become strong, killed 100 people or more, tigers and stuff, he should not have been simply hit in the face by Vaas and fall like a child! You should be able to kill Vaas like any other character in the game! He might be faster, stronger, smarter, whatever but still he should be a subject to the game mechanics! I should be able to point my gun at him (a gun I am actually carrying) and kill him!

I cannot acctent the above strong enough. It is very, very important. The game should be COHERENT.

BWX232's Avatar Senior Member
    Originally Posted by yarrrrrr9 Go to original post
    Listen, I believe I have some valid, crucial, fundamental point here:

1. The good = attacks on enemy outpost and all the game mechanics related to it, like enemy AI. Also - radio towers switchin on.
    2. The bad = all the linear mission not related to the above mechanics! Like the game telling you "press LMB, press RMB and so on"

If you create mechanics for point 1, USE THEM IN POINT 2! For example: if the main character has become strong, killed 100 people or more, tigers and stuff, he should not have been simply hit in the face by Vaas and fall like a child! You should be able to kill Vaas like any other character in the game! He might be faster, stronger, smarter, whatever but still he should be a subject to the game mechanics! I should be able to point my gun at him (a gun I am actually carrying) and kill him!

I cannot acctent the above strong enough. It is very, very important. The game should be COHERENT.
    I love FC3, it is probably one of my favorite all time games (with Ziggys mod), ever. I really think it is one of the best computer games I have ever played.

BUT I couldn't agree more with the above post.

They could have told the same story and accomplished the same things without the "smash LMB" BS.

I HATE that part of this game.

Hate hate hate "quicktime sequences" or whatever you call them. Hate them with a passion.

Too bad you cannot mod them out.