Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "You don't have Sufficient Access Privileges to Run the game" | Forums

Kyrat Edition Trailer | Far Cry 4 [UK]

Survive Kyrat | Far Cry 4 [PSN] [UK]

What are you made of? | Far Cry 4 [UK]

KYRAT SERIES 1 - The lowlands | Far Cry 4 [UK]

Back home. No success.
    I already use a account with admin privileges.

I've tried taking ownership of the root dirs C:\ and D:\ recursively. Making sure I have
    I've tried a new administrator account.
    I've tried a plain (non-admin account).
    I've tried turning UAC on (to see if there's a warning before it tries to run the file)
    I've tried turning UAC off (which is my usual).

I have tried both the d3d11 version and the other one (by editing the XML).

Same error message, every time. (Occasionally a crash, but usually just an error message.)

Looking at the Process Monitor:
    The last entries before a tonne of "Thread Exit"s look to be just writing the timestamp__100.ts file. It does this with success. There doesn't appear to be any obvious file access that is causing this error.

Might need to reinstall OS - but this is such a hassle. It's not as if I only use the machine for one reason.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks tburtenshaw, i've been waiting for your update as I have the exact same problem and have tried everything you have. The only thing i've ever heard fixing this (for Far Cry 2 OR 3) is to reinstall Windows with a different version. This is absolutely outrageous! I tried granting Everyone full access on all folders in C and the game directories but nothing seems to make any difference. What about the event log, did you notice anything in there? (i'm not at home right now or i'd check) I don't have any anti-virus software and have tried with the firewall off but still the same. Tried the UAC like you did and of course any kind of admin combo or compatibility mode but always ...always...always the exact same outcome. What kind of tech support is this? I can understand that they are having trouble fixing it, but how about an update?!?!?!??

Hey Terd. I relented and re-installed Windows. Yep. I sold out.

When I got the computer a year or so back, I wanted it to be as fast as possible, so I made it "LITE". (With something like RT Seven Lite.) Doing a new install of the Lite W7 version onto VirtualBox showed the same permission problem I had with Picasa. (Didn't bother installing Far Cry.) It was fixed by installing a full (non-stripped down) version of Windows 7 to another partition. Now I don't have the problem, and am in the process of moving all my stuff between OSs.

I had a look at the list of services, and nothing stood out as being missing or switched off in the LITE version. I didn't notice anything obvious in the Group Policy either. I had a reasonable look for the culprit setting, as I hate installing new OSs, but no luck.

If you've got a W7 disc lying around, you can download VirtualBox and see if it might be worth a new install. Or you might just have to bite the bullet.

Permissions are a scary beast. Unless there's some Microsoft Windows super-guru lurking on the forums I'm not sure you'll get answers.

Same problem here, I've tried everything. Even reinstalling windows lol

I do use a slipstreamed Windows 7 install though but all other games works fine and I've played a lot and I'm not gonna install a non slipstreamed install of Win 7 though just for this game. Would be cool to know which files or services or whatever it depends on.

What was funny that I couldn't even UNINSTALL the game via control panel (no permissions to uninstall either lol), had to go via DVD.
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 12-30-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Do you use Picasa, RPGWizard? I'd be interested to know whether the install works on your set up (and whether it's the same bug).

I wonder if everyone with this problem is using a slip-streamed Windows. Did you do it yourself? Do you know what services you left out? One thing I imagine most people leave out (including me) are the Windows .NET framework.

Can everyone with this issue comment whether they're using a special version of Windows, or if it's just out of the box or came with their computer. (Special doesn't necessarily mean illegal BTW!)

Quote Originally Posted by tburtenshaw View Post
    Do you use Picasa, RPGWizard? I'd be interested to know whether the install works on your set up (and whether it's the same bug).

I wonder if everyone with this problem is using a slip-streamed Windows. Did you do it yourself? Do you know what services you left out? One thing I imagine most people leave out (including me) are the Windows .NET framework.

Can everyone with this issue comment whether they're using a special version of Windows, or if it's just out of the box or came with their computer. (Special doesn't necessarily mean illegal BTW!)
    No I'm not using Picasa. (EDIT: I tested installing it, you mean this one right? http://picasa.google.com/ and it started for me)

These are the stuff I've removed / options I've changed with Vlite in the current Win 7 64bit Professional SP1 integrated install (that I've gotten legally through MSDNAA programme for my school):

[Components]
    ;# Accessories #
    Accessibility
    Games-Inbox Games
    Games-Premium Inbox Games
    Mobility Center
    Speech Support
    Welcome Center
    Windows Sidebar and Gadgets
    ;# Hardware Support #
    Floppy Disk Support
    Smartcards
    XBOX 360 Controller
    ;# Languages #
    Arabic
    Brazillian
    Bulgarian
    Croatian
    Czech
    Danish
    Dutch
    Estonian
    Hungarian
    Italian
    Korean
    Latvian
    Lithuanian
    Polish
    Portuguese
    Romanian
    Serbian
    Simplified Chinese
    Slovak
    Slovenian
    Spanish
    Thai
    Traditional Chinese
    Turkish
    Ukrainian
    ;# Multimedia #
    Media Center
    Media Metadata Handler
    Music and Video samples
    Sample Pictures
    Screensavers
    SideShow
    ;# Network #
    Telnet Client
    Telnet Server
    ;# Services #
    Remote Registry
    Windows Search
    ;# System #
    Microsoft Client For NFS
    Natural Language
    Parental Controls
    Security Center
    Sync Center
    Tablet PC
    Windows Defender
    Windows Easy Transfer

[Options]
    DEP (Data Execution Prevention) = Default
    User Account Control (UAC) = Disabled
    AntiSpyware Realtime Protection = Default
    AutoPlay = Disabled
    Paging Executive = Enabled
    Power scheme = High performance
    Power button = Default
    Sleep button = Default
    Control Panel - Classic View = Enabled
    Show hidden files and folders = Yes
    Show protected operating system files = No
    Show extensions for known file types = Yes
    IE Phishing Filter = Default
    IE Phishing Verification Ballon Tips = Default
    Last edited by RPGWiZaRD; 01-03-2013 at 06:14 AM.

Doesn't look like you've removed anything important. I guess the Picasa thing must be a slightly separate issue, you'll have noticed straight away if it was an issue as the installer won't run.

I wish I could help you. My gut feeling it is to do with the .NET Framework, Visual C runtimes, and side-by-side assemblies etc. But I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling all the Visual C runtimes. (Didn't try with .NET framework, though you're welcome to if you're desperate!) I don't have much evidence to this, except I have had problems with them before, and both PicasaInstaller and FarCry3.exe have the xml manifests inside them, and the games I have that work don't. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side-by-side_assembly )

Good luck. Hopefully you'll figure something out. Keep your issue open with Ubisoft Tech Support, I don't know how much help they'll be, but if enough of us launch issues with the problem maybe someone there will take a look.

Hey guys, yes, I too use lite version of Windows 7 so it's starting to look like we're missing something. I love this version of Windows though, so looks like i'll have to take back the game. Everything runs great and ONLY this game won't work!

Hey, I was having the same problem..
    I've recently built my own windows version with Wintoolkit and luckily saved a changelog of all the features changed/removed
    Went through them one by one re-enabling all the services, removing tweaks and everything and have narrowed it down to one
    component I have removed and disabled which i believe is the culprit;

'Parental Controls'

I think the game probably runs a check for this and if not there thinks it's being spoofed somehow or something.
    Tried and tried to reinstall parental controls but couldn't, Going to add it to my next version of windows though.

Hopefully this helps ubi solve the problem, it's pretty annoying, i'm off to reinstall windows and play some fc.

Quote Originally Posted by eapersoulr View Post
    Hey, I was having the same problem..
    I've recently built my own windows version with Wintoolkit and luckily saved a changelog of all the features changed/removed
    Went through them one by one re-enabling all the services, removing tweaks and everything and have narrowed it down to one
    component I have removed and disabled which i believe is the culprit;

'Parental Controls'

I think the game probably runs a check for this and if not there thinks it's being spoofed somehow or something.
    Tried and tried to reinstall parental controls but couldn't, Going to add it to my next version of windows though.

Hopefully this helps ubi solve the problem, it's pretty annoying, i'm off to reinstall windows and play some fc.
    Wow thanks for taking your time to help us other people, I wasn't really keen on finding out exactly which component it was but it may very well be it. I can't either launch FarCry 2 currently and I know in the past I got it working when reinstalling windows with a newly made slipstreamed windows install and yea it could be that the component wasn't removed then perhaps but IMO I usually take out that one so dunno.

Anyway let us know how it turns out...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast