I have been trying (and failing spectacularly) to download my copy of Assassins Creed 3 through UPlay. I have a pretty fast internet connection speed (Steam downloads at around 4MBs per second) but the Uplay client reports speeds varying from 50Kb/sec to around 1MB/sec. Consequently the download of Assassins Creed 3's full 15GB takes an absolute age. I could live with this except that every download results in a failed install ranging from catastrophic failure nessage from InstallShield, CRC error to a windows crash message. I have now downloaded the thing 6 times and had 6 install errors in 6 different places - after each failed install I used Revo Uninstall to clean up. I started to wonder if it was something to do with my connection but I have downloaded 2 separate games from Steam, verified the cache and installed the games with no problems. I am satisfied there's nothing wrong with my internet connection so I'm wondering if perhaps my AV is the problem. I use ESET NOD 32 but there are no reported problems on their site with regard to UPlay. As is the norm with Ubisoft Tech support I have had no response from a human with regard to this issue at all, just 2 automated responses.
Basically I've paid them £40 for nothing. Just wondering if someone has an idea about what's wrong - I don't see too many complaints about download and install issues with Assassins Creed 3 so I suspect it's something to do with my setup but I'm not sure what. I have 116 games on Steam and I've never encountered a problem.