Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UPlay client downloads and Assassins Creed 3 install problems | Forums

[SOLVED] UPlay client downloads and Assassins Creed 3 install problems

Hi,

I have been trying (and failing spectacularly) to download my copy of Assassins Creed 3 through UPlay. I have a pretty fast internet connection speed (Steam downloads at around 4MBs per second) but the Uplay client reports speeds varying from 50Kb/sec to around 1MB/sec. Consequently the download of Assassins Creed 3's full 15GB takes an absolute age. I could live with this except that every download results in a failed install ranging from catastrophic failure nessage from InstallShield, CRC error to a windows crash message. I have now downloaded the thing 6 times and had 6 install errors in 6 different places - after each failed install I used Revo Uninstall to clean up. I started to wonder if it was something to do with my connection but I have downloaded 2 separate games from Steam, verified the cache and installed the games with no problems. I am satisfied there's nothing wrong with my internet connection so I'm wondering if perhaps my AV is the problem. I use ESET NOD 32 but there are no reported problems on their site with regard to UPlay. As is the norm with Ubisoft Tech support I have had no response from a human with regard to this issue at all, just 2 automated responses.

Basically I've paid them £40 for nothing. Just wondering if someone has an idea about what's wrong - I don't see too many complaints about download and install issues with Assassins Creed 3 so I suspect it's something to do with my setup but I'm not sure what. I have 116 games on Steam and I've never encountered a problem.
    Last edited by davisruk; 11-27-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi davisruk, sorry to hear this, have you opened a ticket with Technical Support? http://support.ubisoft.com/
    Ubisoft Community Manager

Technical Support
    Twitter Support
    Facebook Support

Quote Originally Posted by Ubi-Mush View Post
    Hi davisruk, sorry to hear this, have you opened a ticket with Technical Support? http://support.ubisoft.com/
    Hi Ubi-Mush,

Thanks for the resonse - yes I've raised a ticket but as I said, I've only received 2 automated responses. I have updated the ticket in response to the second automated response if you get my drift. I've downloaded again today and once again it has failed to install and once again it's in a different place, although bizzarely the cache is now 22Gb rather than 15. Verify files through UPlay results in "All files verified and up to date" message. I have no idea what to do next - purchased Torchlight II on Steam tonight and it downloaded and installed perfectly. Thinking of asking for money back and waiting for Ubisoft to sort out a deal with Valve, at least I know Steam works reliably. It's a shame because I also want Far Cry 3 but I certainly won't be using UPlay to download anything ever again.

AC3 Catastrophic Error on Install

Catastrophic error on AC3 install.... What a JOKE !! I think i'll hold off on that PC upgrade and just get the next console

{SOLVED]

I managed to track the problem down finally on my 7th full download; it was my anti virus software. I turned AV off completely for the download and once finished the install went fine. I did try installing with AV off after my 6th download but it too failed so my assumption is that ESET NOD32 and the UPlay client don't cooperate correctly on downloads. I still find it strange that the UPlay client verified the files as being up to date and correct - I'm assuming it's not doing CRC checks - unless of course the AV is affecting the verification process as well. I have raised a ticket with ESET in respect of this although I'm not sure which product is at fault - NOD32 has never caused a problem with Steam or Origin for example.

By the way, I never got a reply from Ubisoft Support on this matter other than a couple of automated responses. Pretty shoddy customer service if you ask me.

Further update

ESET have got back to me (Ubisoft support please take note - they replied within 30 minutes of me creating the ticket!). Apparently there is a bug in the Windows Filtering Platform that results in corrupt downloads that was introduced in two recent hotfixes. Please Note that this only applies to ESET NOD32 so I'm not sure why its a microsoft problem but apparently it is and they are working on a fix. In the meantime it is being recommended that the hotfixes in the message below be removed until a fix is in place.

Good morning
    The recently released hotfixes KB2735855 and KB2750841 have been confirmed to cause data corruption during the download when a 3rd party driver working at Windows Filtering Platform layer intervenes in the communication.
    Microsoft have confirmed that they are working on updated fixes, in the meantime, we strongly recommend removing these hot fixes until Microsoft comes up with a final solution.
    I'm still not sure why Steam and Origin work but I do feel reassured that UPlay isn't quite as bad as I first thought.

Thanks for taking the time to share your findings and the additional details you got from ESET, davisruk.
    Uplay Community Developer
    Facebook
    / Google+ / Support

Worked like a champ

Thanks - item of note: I'm using Avast. CRC errors galore during the first time. I suspended my A/V and re-downloaded/installed successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by davisruk View Post
    {SOLVED]

I managed to track the problem down finally on my 7th full download; it was my anti virus software. I turned AV off completely for the download and once finished the install went fine. I did try installing with AV off after my 6th download but it too failed so my assumption is that ESET NOD32 and the UPlay client don't cooperate correctly on downloads. I still find it strange that the UPlay client verified the files as being up to date and correct - I'm assuming it's not doing CRC checks - unless of course the AV is affecting the verification process as well. I have raised a ticket with ESET in respect of this although I'm not sure which product is at fault - NOD32 has never caused a problem with Steam or Origin for example.

By the way, I never got a reply from Ubisoft Support on this matter other than a couple of automated responses. Pretty shoddy customer service if you ask me.
    hi i found that if you disable your av for the install everything goes well i was having the install error half way through that seemed to sort it

Catastrophical Failure

I bought Assasin's Creed 3 three months ago, and after a long waiting (because of my internet connection), Uplay finally let me download it on the PC. At the download, after half of it is completed, a message with ''Catastrophical Failure'' about the data. I tried to change the place where I want to download it and it still didn't worked.
    What should I do?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast