Hi and welcome everybody ;-) I’ve decided to create the same as year ago for revelations so now for ac3 faq with some tips to make your pc prepared for game and with some solutions to problems which you may occur during gameplay.
Let’s start this FAQ ;-)
1. Check if your computer meets requirements, to do this go to this site:
Here i would like to give to all of you few advices. You probably expect to play at your machines highest detail with high fps rate. From tests which already been shown by n****ia you can conclude not many may run the game in full hd resolution with all settings maxed out. For modern gaming with higher details and fluid fps 4-core cpu is a good start, cpu is happy when it can use 4GB or more ram and these numbers of ram are happy when they are paired with gpu like geforce x60 or higher or on amd side with radeon hdx770 or higher. That’s kinda universal tip for hardware configuration able to run most games in decent details and fluid fps. Do not expect miracles and impressive graphics from gpus,for n****ia: geforce x50 and lower, for amd: radeon hdx670 and lower. Game will work but with low settings and as more weak hardware less fps you will get. Intel is not manufacturing gaming-class graphics cards, their only purpose is to render basic graphics like desktop, pictures, movies.
2. If you have 3GB of ram or more check if you have installed x64 version of windows. x32 flavor is unable to use more than 3GB of ram. So if you have more than 3GB of ram installed and installed x32 windows so you should install x64 to make use of full ram capacity. Anyway i still do not get why people are installing x32 windows, for me as a gamer it makes no sense.
3. If all above are fine next you should to install all available recommended updates, you can do this in control panel/windows update.
4. While awaiting for game you also might prepare uplay program which you can download from uplay.com website. Program is a launcher for game.
5. To prevent some possible errors you should to permanently set the game to run as an administrator. To do so go to folder where your game is installed, mark 3 files: ac3sp.exe, ac3mp.exe and assassinscreed3.exe, click on them with right mouse button, select "properties", go to tab "compatibility" and in there check two options: "run this program as an administrator" and "disable display scaling on high dpi settings", click ok to apply settings.
6. Now when hardware and software is ok you may want to squeeze more from your hardware, you can do this by upgrading your gpu, soundcard and network card drivers.
Latest beta amd drivers you can find in here:
Drivers for so-called legacy ATI HD2xxx, HD3xxx and HD4xxx and their AGP flavors:
Windows vista, 7 and 8 x64:
Windows vista, 7 and 8 x32:
Latest nvidia beta drivers you can find at nvidia site or geforce.com.
To get drivers for soundcard and network card you should go to motherboard manufacturer's website and download them from there. Your motherboard model you can find in dxdiag program (start/run: type dxdiag). If you have problems with finding updated drivers post in this topic your motherboard name and i will try to find them;-)
7. If you are experiencing low fps with decent hardware and all above you did you should to check your gpu settings (nvidia control panel or amd vision engine control center). If you have some gpu-demanding options enabled, such as additional methods of aa, high numbers of tesselation, stereoscopic 3d, set them to „controlled by application” or disable if it is possible. If you are owner of i3/i5/i7 cpu with hyperthreading this technology may be responsible for your low fps. You can disable it in bios but if bios do not has such option to do so and cpu uses this technology you can use as workaround program called, for example, process lasso and set affinity by using it.
8. Very nice thread for users having amd gpus, let's say thx to kosay91 who created this wonderful list of tips ;-)
9. Especially in multiplayer but also may occur in singleplayer, graphics glitch with missing areas, models and visible only deep-background things like underground, sky etc. When you are facing this kind of problem probably you have enabled antialiasing in drivers settings. Go to nvidia control panel/amd vision engine control center and set antialiasing to "controlled by application".
10. Your alls personal fav problem, i know, LOW FPS ISSUE IN BOSTON, NEW YORK, FRONTIER So far there is no confirmed as working solution to problem, there is some possible fixes which for me are joke but few players posted them as these which worked to them. Usually they are based upon editing .ini file or disabling integrated gpu. Ok, i understand, fix with disabling integrated gpu may work, there is technical explanation of it and you may try to do this, but in ini is no options which might change anything to performance, except setting which you already have in in-game menu (resolution, level of details etc). Problem can't be fixed with ini editing, it can't be fixed with drivers, it can't be fixed from user-side, problem is in bad game optimization and memory leaks which mean it can be fixed only by developers who can improve source code of the game. We have to wait with patience for patch from ubisoft.
In short: there is no fix for it yet! Wait for patch from ubisoft.
11. Unexpected game crashes. These are hard to find their reasons, usually caused by driver errors, drivers conflicts, conflict with other kinds of software. Every case needs individual attention. At first go to control panel/programs and features - in this applet remove all software you are not using, remove all bloatware e.g. toolbars, additional search engines, "free xx songs", etc. After it you may need to reboot your computer. If problem still occurs and game keep crashing go to control panel/action center, find entry about assassin's creed, click it and copy and paste in this thread detailed error description. I will try to deliver solution to you asap.
12. For xfire software users. If xfire chat/overlay is not working for you in assassin's creed 3 multiplayer mode go with this link and do as it is described in there:
For this moment i think that's all i can help you and of course i will be updating this faq with more informations ;-)
Same as before sorry for my english,if you want to correct me feel open to share it with me Greetings from Poland to all pc assassin’s creed gamers :-)