Thread: Recommended soundcard for PC version? | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Recommended soundcard for PC version?

As the latency is extreme with this game, are there any WASAPI based soundcards with very low latency that can be recommended? A card with audio output latency of no more than 5ms would be good. I have asked UBISoft, but they remain unresponsive on the issue of Rocksmith latency.

(I do suspect that WASAPI is stuck with a kilosample or so of latency inducing internal buffers (ca. 20ms), but I'd be delighted if it isn't so for all soundcards)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I just use my Realtek sound card (chip) built into my motherboard.

I have no noticable latency.

Have you read and followed the directions in this thread?

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...tion-and-FAQ-s

Yes, I have read everything I've come across on the subject.

I currently have the lowest achievable latency using my motherboard (P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3) Realtek chip (ACL892), at ca. 50ms, and of this almost 30ms is on the output side. No further reduction is possible with the WASAPI drivers. My laptop has about the same latency and My MOTU studio interfaces are far laggier with RS.

Thus I'm wondering if perhaps any of those hot gaming soundcards achieve lower latencies with Rocksmith.

How are you measuring this latency, to get such precise numbers?

I have no idea what mine is, but I can play the game fine. It does not sound any different, latency wise, as when I play my guitar any other way.

I've done nothing special.

It does seem like I would notice 1/2 second (50ms?) of delay.

It's 50ms, i.e. 0.05 seconds. Enough to sound like a short slapback echo from picking to hearing the sound from RS. I measure total latency by making a stereo recording with one mic by the guitar strings and one by the speakers, and then check the difference in an audio editor. This is as precise as it gets without puling out the oscilloscope. I'd love to see the method applied to other users setups with claimed low latencies.

If this seems picky, 30ms is well known to cause trouble with fast (rhythmic) playing, and current (usable) real time audio software has far less input-to-output latency than that, using ASIO of course. Perhaps some of us who are musicians and used to dealing with DAWs and audio gear may be more sensitive to latency(?) But that's a different discussion.

Back on topic; I've been googling a bit, and I can't find anything so far - cheap and cheerful low latency non-ASIO cards, that is.

How much faster can you get than Hangar 18 and the A7X stuff in this weeks guitar challenge?

No one is seeming to have trouble with latency in the challenge, AFAIK.

I probably can't play anything faster, but I most certainly can play everything more precise and have more fun with less latency. Especially on the fast stuff, the slapback echo effect of the delay is bothersome.

There are plenty of people having issues with the lag. It's not exactly an unimportant issue in a piece of real time software, even if some don't notice or bother. The decision to drop ASIO, the ONLY sure way of having low latency, used by all good audio software as a matter of course, has crippled the game for many users. Any audio programmer in their right mind would have recommended ASIO support for Rocksmith, and it would have taken a competent audio programmer no more than a day to implement it. It doesn't help to be told that there's no lag or that the lag doesn't matter, when it is in fact there and greatly diminishing the RS experience.

Now, this was not meant to be a thread discussing how problematic lag is or isn't...