Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Will there be dedicated servers ? | Forums

Map Editor | Far Cry 4 [UK]

Far Cry 4 | Kyrat Tuk Tuk Stories [EUROPE]

Far Cry® 4 Arena Master [UK]

CGI Launch Trailer | Far Cry 4 [PSN] [UK]

No dedicated servers, not buying. I want to host and control my own server for PC. Have fun.

Far Cry 3 Elite Member Viragoxv535's Avatar
    The problem is that mantaining a dedicated server costs money. Although that does not mean that you can't run one of your own.

Banned
    I really don't understand how game files can be hacked as you PC guys say - I only hope the game files on consoles can't be hacked by cheaters. I seriously hope not. Its a bit of a worry - although, as host, I could always just ban the cheaters from the lobby. That'd work.

Quote Originally Posted by GUN_SABOTUR View Post
    ...I could always just ban the cheaters from the lobby. That'd work.
    If you can catch them... Sometimes they just use a radar or wall hack

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxswe View Post
    How can you se this as the best way? With lobby games u get Lots and lots and lots of lag. A DS u can have faster download on maps. Stabel ping over the game. Been able to kick/ban cheaters or idiots.
    Crashing lobbys. Hosts disconnecting. Host with bad internet connection. And allsow lobby games dies out much faster then games with servers.

I dont thinks so... No servers means lobby games. Lobby games means its easyer to make a mod/patch/hack so ppl with a downloaded game can play the game online.
    With servers its harder. A server can be updated more often and will be harder to pirate
    There were a bunch of statements in there, so I'll have to answer them in order:

"-With lobby games you get lots of lag"
    That is entirely dependent on the host and if the game itself takes resources from the machine that could be better used to run a server. If the game is well optimized and the players have good connections, there is no problem.

"-A DS has faster downloads on maps."

The maps are hosted in 'the cloud'. Same as in FarCry 2. They are not downloaded from the server itself.

"-Stable ping."

Again, more dependent on the host's connection as well as the network architecture. The server being dedicated or not has less to do with that.

"-Being able to kick/ban cheaters or idiots"
    That's a decision relating to how we want to handle the game. We have anti-cheating mechanisms in place on PC - and on consoles there is a whole other set of problems for anyone who decides to try and cheat.

"-Crashing lobbys, hosts disconnecting".
    That's why we have something called "Host Migration" in place. It transfers the hosting role to another player automatically. It's quite fast too. Usually takes no more than a few seconds.

"-Lobby games dies out much faster than games with servers."
    I can't say anything about that, I have never in my gaming or professional career seen any statistics on that.

"-Lobby games are easier to hack than dedicated servers. And are easier to play online with pirated copies" (Paraphrasing)
    -Well, yes and no. A dedicated server could be hacked to run without the help of the 'master servers'. A matchmaking system could be emulated, and then the clients would have to be patched in order to contact the pirated servers instead of the original ones. Each one of those presents their own challenges.

PS. The decision to exclude dedicated server functionality was not taken based on concerns over PC piracy.
    I hope that answers all your concerns Jinxswe.
    Last edited by MSV-Vextor; 11-15-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MSV-Vextor View Post
    That's why we have something called "Host Migration" in place. It transfers the hosting role to another player automatically. It's quite fast too. Usually takes no more than a few seconds.
    Thank you for that, I am so glad the game won't end and everyone gets kicked like in FC2 - This IMO is really good news for us.

As long as host migration works..
    It's what your right hand's for..

PSN: mistincat

Quote Originally Posted by mistados View Post
    As long as host migration works..
    Believe me... it works

Quote Originally Posted by MSV-Vextor View Post
    There were a bunch of statements in there, so I'll have to answer them in order:

"-With lobby games you get lots of lag"
    That is entirely dependent on the host and if the game itself takes resources from the machine that could be better used to run a server. If the game is well optimized and the players have good connections, there is no problem.

"-A DS has faster downloads on maps."

The maps are hosted in 'the cloud'. Same as in FarCry 2. They are not downloaded from the server itself.

"-Stable ping."

Again, more dependent on the host's connection as well as the network architecture. The server being dedicated or not has less to do with that.

"-Being able to kick/ban cheaters or idiots"
    That's a decision relating to how we want to handle the game. We have anti-cheating mechanisms in place on PC - and on consoles there is a whole other set of problems for anyone who decides to try and cheat.

"-Lobby games dies out much faster than games with servers."
    I can't say anything about that, I have never in my gaming or professional career seen any statistics on that.

"-Lobby games are easier to hack than dedicated servers. And are easier to play online with pirated copies" (Paraphrasing)
    -Well, yes and no. A dedicated server could be hacked to run without the help of the 'master servers'. A matchmaking system could be emulated, and then the clients would have to be patched in order to contact the pirated servers instead of the original ones. Each one of those presents their own challenges.

PS. The decision to exclude dedicated server functionality was not taken based on concerns over PC piracy.
    I hope that answers all your concerns Jinxswe.
    I thank your for tha answers. But im sorry no.
    Im sorry this wont do for me. And I know it wont work for a lot of ppl. ""-With lobby games you get lots of lag"
    That is entirely dependent on the host and if the game itself takes resources from the machine that could be better used to run a server. If the game is well optimized and the players have good connections, there is no problem."

This..... this is the biggest problem there is with lobby games. A game like this needs dedicated server. A game like this takes to much on the PC. Ya I have a good computer. But 60-70 % of the ppl buy the game wont have it. Even if they did thier internet connection might not bee good. Witch means alot.... ALOT of the games will lagg!

Okey lets say that some one with a good computer and internet dose host a game, good. Well if he leavs okey host miigration... then its likly someone with a crappy computer will host it.

And then its the maps and game mods. The host picks it. YAY... we will end up playing maps that only the ppl with that are hosting picks the maps and only the maps they pick. And then the host has to change map every time. And if the host leaves then every one has to go out and try to find a new good host on a map that u want to play.

With Dedicated servers the servers will allways be up. And will allways have good ping. It will be a set map rotation with gametyps. NO host migrations and u dont have to change game just becuse some one leaves in the middel of the game.

Im sorry Ubi but no. This wont do. I was hoping for more from you. And im saying it again. PC is been left out of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by FALLEN CHAMP View Post
    Thank you for that, I am so glad the game won't end and everyone gets kicked like in FC2 - This IMO is really good news for us.
    Yeah, I'm very glad to hear that and it's a pleasant surprise as I haven't even thought of that issue, honestly. Almost every other FPS title has had the feature for years now so I'm glad FC3 does also.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast