Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is this STILL not fixed?!!! | Forums

Quote Originally Posted by saipan1972 View Post
    well, support ended for IL2 also, but the modders kept it going. we'll see what happens.
    Uhhhh .. IL2 is still being supported by Team Diadalos and while it is not as good looking as CoD or WoP .. IL2 is still a pretty decent piece of kit.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Yep Bearcat, I totally agree. Still getting a lot of pleasure from 1946 and the mods from Diadalos. 1946 is still far more user friendly than C.o.D. and what's more it runs smoother too. The major thing that C.o.D is lacking is a decent QMB, having to do everything through the FMB is a PITA. Maybe there will be a better QMB in the sequel,I hope so.

well the ATAG server now has rearm and refuel.

|CM HAF-X | i5 3570k | ASUS Sabertooth z77 MB | EVGA GTX 570HD 2.5GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengence 8 GB RAM
    | Creative Recon sc | Creative 5.1THX | Antec HCP 850w | OCZ vertex 4 SSD | WD Caviar Black 1TB |

I never understood that "I can't play this crap anymore 'cause it looks so bad" view with reference to IL2. Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course and my take on that view is not to rag anyone in particular.. but all things considered.. the way that not only CoD, but WoP and WT and some of the other "newer" sims that have emerged in the last few years have panned out .. it all just sounds like a bunch of excuses to me. I know my opinion really doesn't matter to the extent that one's opinion is one's opinion and as I said, we are all entitled to that but when I look at what these other sims, CoD included have to offer... if you take away the eye candy the playing field really becomes far more leveled. Considering that the graphics in IL2 as dated as they may be are still not bad at all... and really only loose luster when compared to Wop, CoD or the DCS P-51 .. or some other sim released in the past 5 years that I may have missed.. To me as a person who still appreciates a good flight sim and given how good IL2's graphics are in spite of what they aren't .. that is a concession I am willing to deal with until what I want becomes more readily available. But hey.. that's just me.. These are unedited screens courtesy of p38lightning @ M4T Dated? Yeah.. they may very well be ... but given it's plane set, map set, AI, Community, on board mission builders (with triggers coming soon no less thanks to TD and up to 64 AC in the QMB.. limited by your PC and you can now add maps to the QMB, you can now create scramble missions in the QMB where you start on the ground and yo have more options as far as cloud height and the position of the starting AC and taking off in pairs.) , FMs, DMs & CEM.. especially the new CEM with 4.11, built in immersion features ... like all the relevant gauges working on most if not all the planes, multiple fronts, built in 6DoF (now stock as of 4.10) , upcoming widescreen support, multi engine throttle support (since 4.10 I believe), scalability in terms of not only flight characteristics but views as well.. You want to make it so that you can only see friendlies or enemies on externals? You can do that .. You want full switch? You can do that too of course... , now the pilot's head turns with the hatswitch/TIR movements..a nice little feature.. I can look across at my wingman and see him looking back at me (a cool feature .. not major but a nice touch..) and there is more coming.. 4.12 is in testing as I type.. Mind you... All this is just the stock sim.. I am not even talking about mods..and that whole process is no where near as convoluted as it was a few years back and even there you have options.. Not as many as before.. thank goodness.. but enough to make it very enjoyable.. Most guys who want to stick with the stock sim's versions go with HSFX because as of now they are still compatible with TD's work.. It may have some mods that you may or may not want.. but it is a relatively small footprint and very well done. You can go from modded to stock with a click of a mouse.. You can fly in a stock server with HSFX as long as the host does not have CRT2 enabled or you arte not in Expert Mode.. (which of course if he wanted to run a mod free server he would do..) and even then.. you are limited by the plane set set up by the host.. and you cannot substitute a mod plane for a stock one (so no worries about the whole "cheat" thing..) Ultra Pack stopped at 4.09 I believe it was .. but that too is a decent piece of kit.. and then there is DBW.. but most of Hyperlobby runs with HSFX but they may also have multiple installs so that they can have their cake and eat it too.. DBW is a very good offline mod pack..

Those whose tastes are so refined as to not be able to tolerate IL2's dated looks anymore have my sympathies.They can do what they want but for the time being I will take IL2 complete with it's "dated" graphics any day of their week because I am getting sick and tired of paying good money for "new sims" with nothing to offer me but eye candy and half baked support at best, lacking many of the features I listed above.. and yet every time I turn around they are asking for more money but still have failed to deliver on the initial proposition..

My faith in CoD is shaken but not shattered.. but I am not spending anymore money on any new sims until I get some feedback from people whose opinions I respect. It must be at least close to IL2 in all the points listed below and surpass Il2 in at least 5 of them:

1-Graphics
    2-FM/DM
    3-AI
    4-Scalability
    5-Mission builder
    6-Plane Set
    7-Theater set
    8-Sound
    9-Online Play
    10-Offline play
    11-Community
    12-Support
    Last edited by Bearcat99; 10-29-2012 at 11:35 PM.

.. and just for $hits & Giggles.. here are some slightly edited screenshots.. but they basically say it all.. and truth be told they are not far off from the stock graphics.. These are from the DBW mod btw courtesy of Majordisturbance@ M4T...

Screenshot gallery of Majordisturbance

.. according to the author..
    It's not that far from the default , I only adjust composition (crop), contrast, tone and colour balance then add a little vignette and border/caption.
    Last edited by Bearcat99; 10-31-2012 at 04:52 PM.

give clod some time. its hasnt been around as long as il2 46. alot of things have been fixed and the modders are hard at work.

|CM HAF-X | i5 3570k | ASUS Sabertooth z77 MB | EVGA GTX 570HD 2.5GB DDR3 | Corsair Vengence 8 GB RAM
    | Creative Recon sc | Creative 5.1THX | Antec HCP 850w | OCZ vertex 4 SSD | WD Caviar Black 1TB |

Oh I am not giving up on CoD. I just am hesitant to spend more money.. but I will .

Good points in Bearcat's lengthy post above.

I've has CLoD for a week now, so can't comment on how bad previous versions were. However, It certainly isn't as bad as I was half-expecting. It's showing a lot of potential (yes, a lot of stuff should have been ironed out). I'll stick with it for now and fire up modded Il2 FB when I want my jollies from a certain 'plane set/theatre. Whether CLoD (and its' successors) get the support that Fb did (and continues to get, if I think about it) remains to be seen. I've had more than £10 worth of fun from it already - anything else is a bonus - of course it won't stop me moaning about no markings on static a/c, a.i that just sits back and hoses a target and no swastika option, but the glass is certainly half-full for me.

A couple of comparison shots - the still very playable (modded) 1946 v CLoD...

I intend giving the flight modelling a good going over tomorrow - stay tuned.

"You need to get out and **** more, L_F m8."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12