Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Bass Challenge Week 1! | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Quote Originally Posted by mbarsott View Post
    Ok, I think nobody answered that... can I kick up a notch and switch from div 3 to div 2 in the middle of the challenge? Well I am travelling and I will probably not post another score this week, but I guess my score is competitive enough for div 2. I just though bass would be very hard like guitar was for me in the beginning, but maybe my classic guitar background and guitar game practice since the launch of the game have helped me out. I think Div II would be more appropriate from the scores I've seen so far.
    I responded yesterday..
    I think it should be fine too, although I was speaking on behalf of Div 1 assuming you were coming all the way to the top.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Thanks for fixing the sheet and updating me. Having a real hard time getting groove bonuses on songs. Someone said to play the notes early but that really messes me up. I thought it would be just as easy to get the "on time" bonus but I guess not. Does it have anything to do with the lag setting?

Updated my OP to 95,621. Happy with that and probably done for the week now.

Quote Originally Posted by pick__pocket View Post
    I responded yesterday..
    I think it should be fine too, although I was speaking on behalf of Div 1 assuming you were coming all the way to the top.
    I'm sorry, I didn't see your post. I've changed my division in the post title and spreadsheet. I don't think I am ready for Div I yet. The only thing I know about slap is that you have to hit the string with you thumb and I had never heard about pop before the game. I definitely need some practice with the bass and learn some of the techniques to move that up. maybe in a month or two.

I think the problem is that most of the people in div 2 should probably be in div 3 for bass. I don't think satisfaction is one of the hardest songs in the game but I don't think any div 2 people have mastered it.

I guess it will all sort itself out in time as we get used to it. One thing id for sure: I am really loving the bass dlc.

98,321 Div 3 NS110 95% GP

With two concurrent challenges to keep up with, this is gonna be tough.

Anyway, I figure I should be in the same div as in guitar, div 3. So here goes:-

Had a better run streak/percentage wise just before this one:-

Don't have a bass yet, I started off trying to pluck the strings as you would on a bass, but the angle of my hand/wrist to the guitar just never felt right. So went back to using a pick. Which is rather ironic since for years, I played only classical guitar, with no pick, and when I first started playing electric guitar, getting used to using a pick was one of the oddities I had to deal with (along with narrower neck, not having to fret so hard etc).

Hopefully I can find some time/energy to do another run or two on this, but if not, this'll be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brick235 View Post
    Thanks for fixing the sheet and updating me. Having a real hard time getting groove bonuses on songs. Someone said to play the notes early but that really messes me up. I thought it would be just as easy to get the "on time" bonus but I guess not. Does it have anything to do with the lag setting?
    You're welcome, least I could do. Thanks for speaking up about spreadsheet being broken.

I believe the essential steps to groove are:
    1) Take all possible steps to eliminate all possible audio lag out of your set up. Connect analog audio from your console directly to an amplifier/receiver and turn off all processing on that amp.
    2) Set your video lag to 0. Not sure yet if any changes were made in the latest patch. You will then need to play the notes before they reach the strings on the video. This should only be a short optical/mental adjustment that you get used to.
    3) Listen very carefully to the recorded version of instrument arrangement you are playing. You'd be surprised at how many subtleties there are in the note placements compared to where you think they should be from a strict rhythmic approach. I find wearing headphones turned up fairly loud helps a lot with this step.
    4) Lead the band. I don't like the term play ahead, and it will mess up most folks, as you described. If you really know the song you should be able to anticipate the notes as if you are leading band which puts you very slightly (almost unnoticeable) ahead. If, on the other hand, you are reacting to what you are hearing then you are going to be late (groove-wise) or at best inconsistent between late and on time, which breaks up a groove cycle.
    5) Listen to the playback/replay if you are still struggling. If your playing does not sound dead on top of the prerecorded version, then try to figure which of the above elements is missing. You may hear difference you didn't notice in the heat of battle of playing the song.
    6) One last resort I try is to get the original recording and listen to it over and over again outside the game, basically trying to absorb the groove subconsciously. I did this for this week's song and I added about 5k in bonuses to my score so far.

I have found the path to groove in this game is a tortuous journey, which I am still working through, but surprisingly rewarding with progress. There are a few groove "naturals" who partake in these challenges (I'm not one of them), but I believe it can be improved by focusing on the above steps. For the record, I only ever go after on-time groove that sounds good while playing.

Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by mbarsott View Post
    I'm sorry, I didn't see your post. I've changed my division in the post title and spreadsheet. I don't think I am ready for Div I yet. The only thing I know about slap is that you have to hit the string with you thumb and I had never heard about pop before the game. I definitely need some practice with the bass and learn some of the techniques to move that up. maybe in a month or two.
    No worries. I just wanted to let you know you weren't being ignored.

I think we are In the same boat. I probably belong in Div 2 too If someone picks a slap song I am going to get toasted by the real bass players here.
    My plucking hand technique still needs a lot of work. If I use a pick then I feel pretty good about my playing.

This brings me to another point. It didn't make sense to me that RS is recommending finger style for this song. It sounds like pick to me, so I did some investigating online and every video clip I can find from the Stones in the 60's, Bill Wyman is using a pick to play this song!
    I will concede this is good practice song for finger style, but if the goal is to match the original artist then RS got this one wrong. Just saying.....
    Last edited by pick__pocket; 08-19-2012 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks for the advice pick pocket. I have my sound set up analog to surround sound and the lag is not noticeable. I'm gonna set it to 0 though and see if that does anything. I think you're right though. I am probably concentrating too much on hitting the note where I see it cross the strings on screen instead of just going by ear. Def gonna be the hardest part for me score wise. I think I'm done with this song for now though.

Guess I found a little groove. Decided to play one last time. Got less of a note streak but managed to squeeze out some more points.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast