Thread: Future of Settlers | Forums

Future of Settlers

Hi,

I have been playing Settlers 7 for some time now. First of all I would like to say, that it is one great game, so addictive and fun, bringing life back to the series. And so I am little saddened by the raising hatred in these more and more inactive forums.

I don´t know what are the possibilities of the next Settlers game, so as a player who is being around from the beginning of the series I was thinking about some suggestions.
    Same as the Settlers had tendency to lower the quality from legendary Settlers II up to the Settlers 5 where it was no longer Settlers, so the game started getting better and better from that point up to Settlers 7.

Never was this game as close to it´s perfection as it is now, so for possible sequel to Settler, keeping these working game mechanics with Settlers 6 graphic style and bringing back the nations instead of one generic culture, plus ability to build/destroy your own military building in the sector would make the masterpiece. Settlers 7 has really nice, fantasy, fairy graphics, but keeping it more like Settlers 6 would surely help the game. It would be less chaotic, well arranged and would improve performance(which was pretty bad in S7). In Settlers you should leave more space for lots of processes running behind, there is no need to improve graphics anymore nowadays. With more realistic graphics and some various objects and textures would the great Castle Forge feature be even more fun and popular. Creating my own, realistic, majestic castle was something I always dreamed about back then and with little more options it would be great mini-game.

I personaly would also like to see ships, but can live without them.

As long time Settlers player who valued pros of every Settlers game, I along with certain game community believe that these features, supported with game editor and maybe some modding possibility would not only make the absolutely peak of the series, but also would make the game alive for a very long time. Editors and modding are guaranteed way how to keep PC game alive.

I hope my post helped the decision-making and we will see the masterpeace that is within reach.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I have played S4 (vert long time ago ^^), S5 and now S7.
    S5 was fun to play, but felt like another RTS - nothing special really.
    I enjoy S7 - graphics are well done and it feels right (zooming in is fun to watch - great detail). I would keep the graphics that way - no need for extreme reality showoff.
    Overall economy is great - building and managing is easy to master and operate, yet bit complex.
    Sadly, when it comes to actual fighting wars it gets boring, because it's made too simple - build big army and march to enemy. Also I don't like Taverns - building your own troops is more fun and challenging, would add a lot more complexity/strategy to the game (example: when you loose troops, goldmine or coalmine).

Hopefully there will be S8 also someday. I would like to see it as a mix. of S4 and S7. Where its like S7 but with more military options. Like building walls and towers to custom locations and armies could move freely in terrain.

Well, the graphics are personal reference, I didn´t mean extreme realism, but something like Settlers 6, so it is still fantasy, but no that fairy, more typicaly medieval.

Unfortunately we won´t settle with fighting. I liked S4 very much, but the fighting system was the main thing that put me off because of it being totally chaotic. Maybe the fighting system could use some tweaks, but overall I was satisfied. It was actually improved system of S2. You can build up two level defences, support defending units with priests and offencing units with standard bearer, upgrade units and defences with technology, so it is not always about size of an army.

Settlers Moderator sings_in_tune's Avatar
    I just hope they make a game that is easier to connect to and easier to get working. I've played Settlers 7 and loved it for about 2 years now. I loved it so much I bought Settlers 6, but of course it didn't measure up.

But now I think my playing days are over because after my router failed and I replaced it with an "upgrade" router, I can not connect to the game anymore.

Since July 30th, I have been communicating with Ubisoft support and with my ISP trying to find a way to fix it, but I'm afraid I've run out of options short of selling my house and moving to Germany (haha).

So I hope the next game will be easy to play; so easy that you will be able to play without a background in computer science (that's what they called it when I went to university in 1981). By "easy to play" I mean easy to get it to start and to work the way it's supposed to work. I doubt that I could ever have made it work in the first place without my education and my work experience using computers.

The future lies in cloud gaming, streaming the games from powerful gaming servers to desktops and tablets. No more issues with graphic drivers, internet connections etc. On www.onlive.com they have Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 amongst other Ubisoft titles already.
    Ave.

Sounds good, but I suspect it would involve downloading a lot of data. I get charged for downloading over 3 GB. Once it's over 10 GB it's $10 cdn (about 8 euros) per GB. These are competitive rates for an internet connection in my country.

Not affordable.

So, OnLive says their service might use between 2 and 6 Mbps.

At 2 Mbps, for an hour of playing: 2x60x60 = 7200 Mb which is 7200/1024 = 7 Gb.

If I played for 4 hours, 1 day a month: 7 x 4 = 28 Gb

First 10 Gb a month is $60, the remaining 18 would be 18 x $10 = $180. Total = $180 + $60 = $240.00 - about 200 euros.

To play one day a month for 4 hours.

I don't think so.

Smile

Love settlers 7. My favourite game ever. Please, please, please develop setttlers 8

I pay 30 EUR per month for broadband connection regardless of traffic volume I produce. You pay 10 bucks per additional GB??? That's the most effective measure possible against down-and-up-loading I ever came across. I produce 1 TB of traffic each month, HD movies mostly. You could use your ISP only as means to connect via VPN to a rented PC/server and internet connection in some other country in the world.
    Ave.

I don't know how it works but maybe it has something to do with the fact that there are about 10 people per sq.km in Canada and about 150 in Europe, or up to 250 per sq.km in Britain. So the infrastructure costs for ISPs are 10 to 25 times more. Also you might pay in some different way, in your taxes or whatever.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by sings_in_tune; 08-18-2012 at 06:46 PM.