Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motherboard choice | Forums

Motherboard choice

Still working on the specs for a planned build and am looking for feedback.
    Was considering going AMD but I am more comfortable with Intel, don’t know why, maybe I am just cautious and am sticking with what I am familiar with. I am on a bit of a budget so I am not going for the latest and greatest, I can’t afford it but I would like to end up with a decent system to run IL2 at full detail settings on a 27” monitor at 1920 x 1080 if I choose to.

The main components are:

Motherboard
    Gigabite -
    GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 w/ Dual DDR3 2133, 7.1 Audio, Gigabit Lan, 1394, CrossFireX / SLI $149.99

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX33928

Processor
    Intel Core i5-2500K Processor $229.99

Ram
    8GB memory - Ripjaws X Series 8GB PC3-17000 Dual Channel Kit (2 x 4GB) - $59.99

My main concern is the Motherboard, both in being adequate for the job and if there has been anyone with a bad experience with the board (reliability etc.)

Thanks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

with an AMD setup I can still use this Nvida card: MSI- N580GTX Twin Frozr II OC Geforce GTX 580 1536MB PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, Mini HDMI without any issues?
    Last edited by gothkrieger; 08-11-2012 at 11:18 PM.

Hey Goth,
    I was going to ask you if PCIe 3.0 was a concern, but that 2nd gen CPU and GPU and (I believe) the Z68 Chipset on the MB will all only run PCIe 2.0. But none of that matters for IL-2. That CPU and GPU will run the hell out of IL-2 totally maxed out. You should be able to run HUGE missions with tons of planes and objects especially if you are only using one screen. I don't think there's any need to SLI for IL-2. If you get into some newer games like CoD or WoP you might benefit from another 580 in SLI to run at ultimate settings. What's your budget if you don't mind sharing?
    Last edited by fknox; 08-10-2012 at 09:54 PM.

Hi fknox
    I would like to keep it as close to $1000.00 as possible but it will be hard not to go over. Will be pretty close on components to 1000 but Win7 64Pro will for sure push me over that mark. L
    I see the PCIe compromise but I am thinking the board is only $140.00, if in 6 months or a year I want something better I could always pick up a better board, all the other components should be able to match a newer board (CPU for sure and maybe the RAM)

Are you in the U.S.? If so .. consider my upgrade path.. and with $1000 you can't go wrong..

After doing a lot more research I am thinking of biting the bullet and going with that Sabretooth ASUS bd. Here is what I am looking at:
    Sabertooth Socket AM3+ 990FX ATX AMD Motherboard
    FX 8120 Black Edition 3.1GHz Eight-Core Socket AM3+ Boxed Processor
    I can get both of those bundled @ Microcenter (just hit the AMD link on the right and follow the yellowbrick road) for $280 as opposed to $380 for the build you proposed. The Fx-8120 and the Intel Core I5-2500K according to this benchark chart are comparable.. with the 8120 actually beating the 2500 in this particular benchmark.. I decided to go with the 8120 as opposed to the Fx6100 or 4100 and maybe upgrade in @ 2 years to a Piledriver chip which will run on the same AM3+ socket and the chips are supposed to be 10%-25% more efficient and will be released in October or so .. . That MOBO comes with a 5 year warranty .. I read up on the Gigabyte Bds I was considering on X-Bit Labs and since that is the core of my system.. I decided to give ASUS another shot. (I was pi$$ed at them since I got my A7N8X bd and it failed and they screwed me on the support but I said what the hey... )
    Along with:
    Crucial m4 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Marvell Controller $190
    Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 Dual Channel Memory Kit (Two x 8GB) $110

for a total of $580 .. that is not counting the GPU..

That will still leave $420 for your OS, GPU and another HD for "everything else"
    Last edited by Bearcat99; 08-11-2012 at 04:37 AM.

You are corrupting me again, getting me to think about AMD. Trying to seduce me to the dark side!!!
    Anyways here in Canada I have come up with this:

BUNDLE AND SAVE!
    For a limited time, bundle and save when you purchase an AMD FX-8150 Processor together with a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Motherboard and AMD Performance Edition 8GB PC3-12800 CL8 DDR3 SDRAM Kit
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...150_990FXA_8GB
    $364.99 Canadian$

I think this compairs to Micro Center's
    http://cart.microcenter.com/cart.asp...icrocenter.com
    for $319.00 US but I think it does not inlcude the 8GB memory

What do you think of that bundle? It is actually cheaper than my previous listing for like components.

AMD fell behind Intel with the intro of the Core2Duo and has continued to lose ground in performance over time. Look at the reviews of the Gigabyte you're considering at Newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813128498
    Last edited by steve_v; 08-11-2012 at 12:32 PM.

Yeah Steve after doing some more research that is another reason why I decided to go with the ASUS board.. As far as the whole Intel vs AMD thing.. from what I read the 8150/8120 was comparable to the 2550k that he is considering.. I have always been an AMD guy.. goth.. as far as the RAM goes.. 16G is probably enough .. but if I were you I'd go with two 8s instead of 4 4s.. that way if the price drops ****her and you just decide to max it out you can do that ... I learned that lesson with the 256 vs 512 vs 1G bit back i the day..
    Last edited by Bearcat99; 08-11-2012 at 01:36 PM.

Steve
    that has been part of my problem in deciding on what board. As well as budget it has been a case of reviews, I have not found a board that does not have some negative as well as positive reviews and horror stories. Heard enough bad stuff about Asus as well so it is not a clear choice. When it comes to AMD I have read even less so I am even less aware in that regard.

My bad experience with ASUS was n customer service.. I am still using a 939 Gigabyte board that I bought about 7 years ago .. I have had no issues whatsoever with it.. but in this case I was looking at the ASUS board over the UD3 board because it seems t have more features, although for me none of this is etched in stone.. When it's all said and don e I may still go with the Gigabyte board just because of the bigger picture.. budget and the fact that I have bought stuff in the past with features that I never wound up using... I will make up my mind when I am ready to pull the trigger..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast