Thread: Newbie in need of advice/answers | Forums

Launch trailer - Might & Magic® X Legacy [UK]

Might & Magic X - Legacy - 4 New Classes Speed Painting trailer [UK]

Might and Magic X Legacy - The Gameplay trailer [UK]

Might & Magic X Legacy -- The Open Dev starts! [EUROPE]

Newbie in need of advice/answers

I recently purchased this game in the Steam sales and have recently got around to playing it. I'm completely new to this game series and games of this type. Because of this, I seem to be finding the game very difficult and i'm not sure why. Could anyone please advise me on what I could do to succeed?

I'm playing as Slava on normal difficulty. I've beaten the first mission without any trouble. The second mission was also going fine until I got to the objective to defeat three enemy heroes. I defeated the first two I found, though suffered heavy losses. By the time I had next week's amount of soldiers, every single enemy on the map had become "severe" threat level and I couldn't defeat anything. Does anyone have any tips to I can avoid this?

I also have a few questions that the game hasn't explained properly:

Though it says that you get new soldiers every week, I only ever seem to get them from one town/fort at a time. Why is this?

Whenever I use the "Guardian Angel" spell, it never lasts as many turns as it claims to when I hover over it. Why?

Enemy melee units seem to love running past all my melee troops just to attack my crossbow men, and then I end up spending the rest of the match running that unit away, being chased. Is there a way to avoid this happening?

What is the use of a second hero if there's barely enough troops for one?

Is there not a way to build at the forts you capture? It seems to make building pointless, as you have to go all the way across the map just to get back to your first town.

If anyone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverisma View Post
    I recently purchased this game in the Steam sales and have recently got around to playing it. I'm completely new to this game series and games of this type. Because of this, I seem to be finding the game very difficult and i'm not sure why. Could anyone please advise me on what I could do to succeed?

I'm playing as Slava on normal difficulty. I've beaten the first mission without any trouble. The second mission was also going fine until I got to the objective to defeat three enemy heroes. I defeated the first two I found, though suffered heavy losses. By the time I had next week's amount of soldiers, every single enemy on the map had become "severe" threat level and I couldn't defeat anything. Does anyone have any tips to I can avoid this?

I recommend starting that map over. Build Slava in such a way that he gets varying forms of healing - Heal, Regeneration and if possible, the "Mass" forms of each. The reason is simple: At no time can you afford "heavy losses". As soon as possible, upgrade your Sisters. They have two heal spells and definately come in handy.

Though it says that you get new soldiers every week, I only ever seem to get them from one town/fort at a time. Why is this?

If I'm reading this question correctly, all the troops you build are available in any town. As a result, the troops you gain from a fort with a creature dwelling in its control are made available at the start of the week in your town. More towns, more troops.

Whenever I use the "Guardian Angel" spell, it never lasts as many turns as it claims to when I hover over it. Why?

Dunno. I've noticed an inconsistency in "Guardian Angel". I just try to play around it the best I can.

Enemy melee units seem to love running past all my melee troops just to attack my crossbow men, and then I end up spending the rest of the match running that unit away, being chased. Is there a way to avoid this happening?

Each faction seems to have a popular set of troops to attack. They often attempt to take out those as early as possible. This is where your "heals" come in to play. Also, figuring out a way to protect them with other troops is to your advantage. They can't attack what they can't get to. Sometimes putting troops out there to be cannon fodder - attracting the enemy towards them rather than let them get all the way to your shooters helps.

In this map, I used them as a runner, bringing me troops so that I don't have to waste time going back and forth letting the enemy get too strong.

Is there not a way to build at the forts you capture? It seems to make building pointless, as you have to go all the way across the map just to get back to your first town.

No. The purpose is to provide income and creates an "area of control" so that any creature dwellings and mines work for you. Also, converting them to your faction provides more income.

It wasn't clear to me from your post, but taking out the undead town (and completing the corresponding quest) - and also converting it to Haven, provides you with a great deal more troops per week.

Good luck.

You might want to start out on easy I did. It is more fun while learning. The game play is a lot different than earlier games. Having troops on secondary heros is optional, including that they can have exactly zero troops if you wish. There are several purposes for secondary heroes other than putting troops on them and then having them fight.

The forts will make more sense once you get familar with the areas of control and the portals. Your "runners" might not have to run so far once you figure out how to use them. These are just a few hints. Like them or not these new game features are coherent and make sense within the context of HOMM6.

The foes will attack whatever they consider the most valuable in your army against them. It is up to you to protect them using various methods (mainly killing the enemy first) or regenerate them in some way if some die. Small losses in battles won can quickly add up so if you are not at least usually winning with zero losses... well, that's not good.

Regarding the purchase of troups, you can buy all of your troops of a certain tier anywhere you have the appropriate building built. So of you buy every one possible in one spot that is all for you for that week. Note that you can buy them upgraded if the place you buy them at allows that, even if they are not upgraded, yet, in some of the other cities you are drawing them from. This eliminates physically collecting them from all of your cities and other sources or even the need for carts like in earlier games. It removes tedium and logistical delays for simplicity's sake... nice.
    Last edited by mpnorman; 08-10-2012 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilverisma View Post

What broui said. No heavy losses.

Actually you can recruit all your troops from any city or fort, though it's never recommended to do so from a fort as only a city can provide upgraded units.

The tooltip is indeed a bit confusing. However you can technically prolong it for two turns. Order a unit to wait, then when its turn comes again cast GA to effectively let it extend to the next turn. Note that you can't do this on a unit with good morale as GA will still dissipate as usual.

AIs tend to attack ranged units. To prevent them from doing so, you can take out attackers before they reach the crossbows, or (this is my favorite) surround it with melee units to prevent it from being reachable.

Since you're still playing the tutorial, the use of a mercenary hero (as properly distinguished from a second hero) will not be so apparent. Later on, they will be very important as you can let them learn such skills that can increase resource production, troop numbers, and even allow you to build two buildings in a towns per day.

You'll know about second heroes when you play the campaigns, they will be almost as important as the main hero.

When you get to the campaigns, you will be able to build town portals which allow you to no-hassle teleport to and back from your towns.

Last edited by prince_c4spi4n; 08-10-2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Bad red color!

Wow, that's really helpful. Thanks a lot guys.

I've restarted that mission on easy and, with the help of my newly acquired Reinforcement spell, am doing a lot better. I'm not usually losing any troops at all on trivial fights and the losses on harder fights aren't large enough to be a problem now. I'm using my second hero to pick up resources and carry troops now, also as suggested.

I'll keep in mind your other tips when I get that far. Thanks again

For me, reinforcements is a once a battle type spell. So ya I can boost the number of one of my stacks but then I have nothing to keep my stacks from taking losses from : enemy archers, enemy hero, retaliations or melee attacks. In other words, there doesn't seem to be any way to replace the sister's healing ability.

Has anyone tried the intro quests since the healing nerf patch? I just don't see how it is possible to have all those fights that involve walls, especially when there is a hero involved, without taking massive losses unless you have a stack size advantage. But the only way to get a stack size advantage is time, but time increases and upgrades enemy stacks beyond which I can match. The enemy's lvl 2 archers and healers plow through my stacks and I can have no answer it seems...