Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Combat Questions/Ideas | Forums

Assassin?s Creed Unity Season Pass Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Co-Op Gameplay Trailer [US]

Assassin?s Creed Unity Co-op Heist Mission Commented Demo [US]

The Assassin's Creed Experience - Comic-Con Day 3

Maybe we could have special types of arrows for the bow such as Poison arrows that slow down fleeing animals and soldiers.

"Hail kenny full of boats, the stache is with thee, Blessed art thou amongst urbans and blessed is the fruit of thy loins"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Despite what we have seen in demos, I hope there is still an element of manual aiming and not the lock-on system, it would add more challenge, plus it isnt fair that Connor never misses when using his pistols and yet a whole group of professinal line infantry soldiers misses connor. Ubisoft says guns were primitive in the 1700s so werent very accurate, well apply that to Connors guns too!

There are various combat features that I hope are in AC3

1. Instant detection (no silly detection meter that fills up slowly)
    2. All guards have the ability to dodge randomly so combat is unpredictable
    3. Opponents should be able to break your guard leaving you exposed so you have to react quickly
    4. Opponents should be able to carry out lethal counters so if you attack them, they counter you and take away some of your sync in the process. (non-lethal counters should also be present for both Connor and his oppponents just to make combat more interesting, it doesnt always have to be instant kills)
    5. More skilled opponents should be immune to one-hit kills during a kill streak, they should take multiple kill streak moves and multiple counters to be defeated just like the Janissaries in ACR
    6. Assassination targets who decide to fight back instead of running should be more challenging than regular soldiers to defeat (classic big boss take down)
    7. Professional soldiers should stand their ground and not try to run away like in previous games
    8. Horse combat should not just be a button smashing exercise like in ACB, there should be counters and other skills involved, not just instant kills, Id quite like to be able to cross swords with an opponent for a good while and try to find a weakness that I can exploit.
    9. If Connor has to fight any native Americans they should be a challenge as they are using similar weapons and skills to Connor
    10. Each archetype of soldier shouldnt have one set of skills, there needs to be some kind of overlap between different types of soldier so combat is less predictable and we dont necessarily know what strategy to use against them
    11. Escaping should be challenging therefore giving us an incentive to be stealthy and not get detected, soldiers shouldnt give up the chase so easily
    12. If Connor gets into a fight in a City where there will be better communication, soldiers should continually arrive in the area to fight Connor so he is forced to escape or else he will be killed. Connor shouldnt just kill the soldiers in the immediate area then return to being incognito automatically, there need to be more consequences for fighting and not being stealthy

I think these features Ive suggested will make combat more exciting, challenging and simply more satisfying

What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by crash3; 08-09-2012 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crash3 View Post
    Despite what we have seen in demos, I hope there is still an element of manual aiming and not the lock-on system, it would add more challenge, plus it isnt fair that Connor never misses when using his pistols and yet a whole group of professinal line infantry soldiers misses connor. Ubisoft says guns were primitive in the 1700s so werent very accurate, well apply that to Connors guns too!

3. Opponents should be able to break your guard leaving you exposed so you have to react quickly
    4. Opponents should be able to carry out lethal counters so if you attack them, they counter you and take away some of your sync in the process. (non-lethal counters should also be present for both Connor and his oppponents just to make combat more interesting, it doesnt always have to be instant kills)
    5. More skilled opponents should be immune to one-hit kills during a kill streak, they should take multiple kill streak moves and multiple counters to be defeated just like the Janissaries in ACR
    6. Assassination targets who decide to fight back instead of running should be more challenging than regular soldiers to defeat (classic big boss take down)
    7. Professional soldiers should stand their ground and not try to run away like in previous games
    8. Horse combat should not just be a button smashing exercise like in ACB, there should be counters and other skills involved, not just instant kills, Id quite like to be able to cross swords with an opponent for a good while and try to find a weakness that I can exploit.
    9. If Connor has to fight any native Americans they should be a challenge as they are using similar weapons and skills to Connor
    10. Each archetype of soldier shouldnt have one set of skills, there needs to be some kind of overlap between different types of soldier so combat is less predictable and we dont necessarily know what strategy to use against them
    11. Escaping should be challenging therefore giving us an incentive to be stealthy and not get detected, soldiers shouldnt give up the chase so easily
    12. If Connor gets into a fight in a City where there will be better communication, soldiers should continually arrive in the area to fight Connor so he is forced to escape or else he will be killed. Connor shouldnt just kill the soldiers in the immediate area then return to being incognito automatically, there need to be more consequences for fighting and not being stealthy

I think these features Ive suggested will make combat more exciting, challenging and simply more satisfying

What are your thoughts?
    On this land, I am torn. Part of me wants to fight and repel all outsiders. The other part of me is the outsider. In the name of Liberty, I will fight the enemy, regardless of their allegiance. While men of courage write history of this day, the future of our land depends on those who are truly free.

What are your thoughts?
    I agree with everything here except #5. The Janissaries weren't really a challenge, it just took an annoyingly long time to kill them. I'd rather have everybody be vulnerable to killstreaks, but aggressive enough to make sure you can't just wipe everybody out without ever countering.

Quote Originally Posted by LoyalACFan View Post
    I agree with everything here except #5. The Janissaries weren't really a challenge, it just took an annoyingly long time to kill them. I'd rather have everybody be vulnerable to killstreaks, but aggressive enough to make sure you can't just wipe everybody out without ever countering.
    I see your point but the problem with that is that every opponent will therefore die just as easily no matter how skilled they are. I think only the basic soldiers should die from one killstreak hit. In fact it shouldnt be called a killstreak it should be called a combat streak, you move between opponents, weakening them bit by bit each time until they are vulnerable enough for you to deliver the killer blow

I think the developers have focused too much on designing cool new ways to KILL opponents, not necessarily FIGHT them. If we are stealthy like an assassin should be, then our targets will be more vulnerable, but if we become exposed and end up in a fight then the tables should turn in the soldiers' favour. Assassins kill, soldiers fight, combat shouldnt be a one sided massacre

Despite what we have seen in demos, I hope there is still an element of manual aiming and not the lock-on system
    Manual aim is in the game, though it seems to be more similar to Red Dead Redemption's auto-aim.

it isnt fair that Connor never misses when using his pistols and yet a whole group of professinal line infantry soldiers misses connor. Ubisoft says guns were primitive in the 1700s so werent very accurate, well apply that to Connors guns too!
    They're more accurate than you think. From the range Connor was using his guns, it's pretty much impossible to miss a target as large as a human. They could hit small targets from a fair distance.
    Fair enough. Instant is a bit much though, they need a small bit of time to recognise and confirm that it is the right person. Just speed up detection time by a large amount.
    I would make that archetype dependent. Larger enemies like the Scotsmen wouldn't dodge, they'd block. The idea could also be expanded so that enemies randomly (or always, depending on the archetype) dodge/block killstreaks.
    Guarding is different now, you can't hold a button to turtle anymore, so it would be impossible to that implement in this game. It would have been good for previous games though. Unless they make it so that certain attacks cannot be countered/blocked whatsoever. In which case they'd need to give you some kind of visual aid so you can still do something about it (long start-up animation to indicate a powerful attack, something like that)
    I'd like that.
    That's similar to an idea I had, except, rather than it taking multiple killstreaks or multiple counters to kill them, you just had to use different moves. It retains the fluidity of the combat and makes sure it doesn't become tedious (Janissaries weren't difficult, just tedious). For example, you usually just hold the direction and press the attack button (square on PS3, X on 360), but with this feature you would be able to use all of the different face buttons during a killstreak to perform different moves. Not really a feature that adds difficulty, but it adds more variety to the combat.
    I would like this as well.
    I always found that annoying, so I agree with this.
    More complex horseback combat would be good.
    Agreed. They would know his moves, so it should be a more challenging fight.
    So more complex archetypes? Agreed.
    Agreed.
    I agree with the last statement (more consequences for participating in open-conflict), but I'm not sure I like that specific idea/solution.
    Last edited by BBALive; 08-09-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Hey guys,

I wanted to know if the rope dart can be used in actual combat, not just to hoist up some unlucky guard below a tree?
    -if so, will it be like a "GET OVER HERE" (from MK) type trick or will it be a fully fledged weapon?

like here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8

//Sorry if this was already brought up. I'm usually on the Splinter Cell side of the forums
    Pumped for a classic return to form with a twist in Blacklst.
    All I wanna know now is how awesome will this game be on my third playthrough!!

Quote Originally Posted by daveintheshade View Post
    Hey guys,

I wanted to know if the rope dart can be used in actual combat, not just to hoist up some unlucky guard below a tree?
    -if so, will it be like a "GET OVER HERE" (from MK) type trick or will it be a fully fledged weapon?

like here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhW67MBO8M8

//Sorry if this was already brought up. I'm usually on the Splinter Cell side of the forums
    Yes it can, I can't find the exact video at the moment I will edit when I do, but yes, you can.

What are your thoughts?
    I believe #12 has been confirmed to be in the game. You can see it in the Boston demo. As Connor slays soldiers, more and tougher archetypes will appear until you're forced to run and hide.

I disagree with #5. The Janissaries weren't tough, just annoying. I hated when they broke my kill streak because it didn't actually make the fight harder, just longer. There should be tough archetypes but they should be more based on smarter AI and being able to dodge and counter Connor's moves, not just blocking all the time.

Spoiler: 

"I am your superior, in both title and ability;
    you should know better than to question me."

Quote Originally Posted by sidspyker24 View Post
    Yes it can, I can't find the exact video at the moment I will edit when I do, but yes, you can.
    I think that video may have been taken down, but yes, I've seen it in action too. Basically, it looks like it functions like the Batclaw Slam move in Batman: Arkham City. Throw out a rope dart, stick in in a guy, yank it back in and kill him with your tomahawk.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast