Thread: Looking to upgrade | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Looking to upgrade

Hey guys, i'm looking at upgrading to a new guitar now that I know that I'm hooked on playing. I've got it narrowed down to a Gibson SG Standard P-90 (in the Heritage Cherry!) or a Fender American Special Strat (Candy Apple finish). I currently have an Epi Les Paul Jr and a Fender CD60CE Elec/Acoustic. I play the Epi more than I play the acoustic, mainly due to Rocksmith. The scale feels a little off on the Fender, but I think that has more to do with the familiarity with the shorter Epi scale length. I like to play a lot of blues, classic rock, and some grunge, so versatility would be a plus. I'd classify myself as a hobbyist that just enjoys playing in the basement, not in a band or anything. My hands aren't the biggest and fingers aren't all that long either, so I lean towards the SG for that reason. But, I really like the look of a strat as well as its versatility. I haven't really found a particular chord shape that I can't reach, but it is harder on the longer scale obviously.

Any feedback or tidbits of info would be very helpful. I can't seem to make up my mind, and as much as I'd like to have the deep pockets to get both, that ain't happenin' anytime soon.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Merganzer; 08-06-2012 at 09:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

The Gibson and the Fender have different neck scales, so that's what you're feeling there. Have you had a chance to play either of those guitars? The bottom line is what you like really. It's got to feel good in your hands and you need to like the sound of it. I can't play a Fender because I have only played the 24 3/4 necks of the Gibson and Epi (8 months guitar exp). I have tried a Fender and I just can't get the hang of it. So, obviously, my vote is for the SG
    Rockin since Nov 4th, 2011.

I have an SG and an Fender telecaster and while there is a difference in the scale, it's pretty easy to get used to switching back and forth if you want to. I wouldn't worry about it enough to make a purchase decision based off scale length.
    My pick-up toggle switch has 3 modes: Swank, Extra Swank, and Super Swank

I own a 2005 Gibson SG Standard and a 2012 American Standard Strat w/fat 50's pickups. I can tell you that they are both excellent and versatile guitars. You won't be disappointed with either choice.

yeah, I've played both. the SG does feel a little more natural. But i'm used to that scale length, so it really will in all likelihood anyway. when I play my Fender acoustic, i miss notes solely because of the difference in scale. I play the Fender for a little bit and I'll start nailing the notes. That is where I'm having the trouble making the decision. Perhaps I should play the acoustic more and see if that really is the case. Also, I think that the neck on my acoustic is a different profile from a Strat. I could be wrong on that though, it's been a while since I've tried them out.

Quote Originally Posted by strick95 View Post
    I own a 2005 Gibson SG Standard and a 2012 American Standard Strat w/fat 50's pickups. I can tell you that they are both excellent and versatile guitars. You won't be disappointed with either choice.
    Based on the Funk's and strick's comments, I can see that I'm not the only one that has been in this boat.

This would be a lot easier if I could just get both...

Quote Originally Posted by Merganzer View Post
    Based on the Funk's and strick's comments, I can see that I'm not the only one that has been in this boat.

This would be a lot easier if I could just get both...
    Well, my Tele is a MIM that I got used for $200 so that made it a bit easier after buying the SG standard new at the store.
    My pick-up toggle switch has 3 modes: Swank, Extra Swank, and Super Swank