Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: nothing about this game lags. except the bullets? | Forums

nothing about this game lags. except the bullets?

character movement... we shoot at it and get hit markers but no kills right? or we do get a kill and the person you killed jumps / teleports 10 20 feet in the direction they were moving when the killing bullet lands. are they actually 1 - 2 seconds in the future of what your seeing?

your playing, and get killed in what appears to be 1 bullet yes? your hiding behind cover and your apponents appear to have spider man reflexes killing you in 1 bullet the same moment you peek out behind cover before you switch from 3rd person view to ADS view.

im noticing in the laggiest of games my current characters position in the game is lag free to everyone else. im also noticing for the most part that a player's position is also just about lag free to me also. players are not hop scotching around ever. movements are always smooth and fluid on my team mates and enemies. so i think there is no discrepencey in that area.

now when it comes to shooting it's a completely different story, now i know lag depends on the location of the host system and the distance between the other players to that system. so this would leave me to believe that if im lagged out then everyone else should be too in every aspect of the game, but im discovering more and more this is just not the case. i think only effects the bullets. i know because when im in party chat with my friends and we are on different teams i can hear my gun fire through their headphones and what i hear is baffling. everyone agrees we were standing or hiding behind what we should had been, so as i said before the character location aspect of GRFS appears lag free. but when we are doing offensive abilities at each other like firing bullets or stealth kills it's speradic to say the least. everyone is mashing the buttons but which one the server accepts and excutes is up in the air.

i can empty a beta mag at them. they see me doing it but where i fire a whole clip (75 bullets) their end only hears about 2 5 round bursts. WTF? when i use a bolt action sniper rifles and fire 3 rounds at them they only see the 3rd round a few seconds after it's fired and aren't even aware of the 2 that proceeded it.

what ever the net coding with this game is i believe everyone's player location and actions are lag free. we are getting the hit markers on each other just not the deaths when we think they should happen. even turrets before this last patch would be just pukeing bullets at somone for 30 seconds strait and never get a kill on them. but you see the thing tearing them to peices with blood spewing off them like a waterfall. i think that side of the WTF moment argument is clear.

some people get their kills accelorated(1 bullet kills from anything on anything) and others like me get them delayed long enough for someone to react and kill us first when we have the jump on them or in head to head confrontations. my entire team of 5 - 6 have all focused in on 1 person, firing at them like mad to watch them do the full on spartan warrior charge at us in the open and kill us all without a scratch. i think the only thing that the ubisoft servers are lagging is the bullets from specific people or specific teams and delaying everyone else in a match.
    Last edited by Shazbot4; 08-23-2012 at 08:26 AM. Reason: keeping it current
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

It's all to do with lag compensation. I am not a network engineer so it can be difficult to explain it all but you can probably find out the most from the Call of Duty community; where it's really become a hot topic of discussion. I also created a thread on these forums that discusses it. As for everything appearing smooth and lag free; that's because part of lag compensation is to move player's hitboxes and models independently to smooth out gameplay.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...de-is-TERRIBLE!

yup, if you watch the kill cams sometimes, it will be completely different than what you saw happen. The enemy may have seen you peek out and start shooting 1 second after you did, thusly, giving you the disadvantage. But unfortunately, Lag Compensation is a necessary evil.

Here is the video i posted a while back explaining it, it's slow going at first (skip to about 1:50 if you just want to skip the fancy talk, lol)

and for anyone who is going to say it's CoD, this is in effect in ALL games, CoD just has a better way to compare it.
    Last edited by PublicVermin; 08-06-2012 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PublicVermin View Post
    yup, if you watch the kill cams sometimes, it will be completely different than what you saw happen.
    What's funny is I barely ever watch the kill cam (I know how I died), but for those times when I'm ready to rage like the average forum-goer here I'll watch it and 95% of the time it's not even the guy I was looking at that killed me. He'll have a buddy next to him that I didn't even see or a Scout across the map gets me. That's what the kill cams are good for, to make you realize what an idiot you are. Other than that they're just representations of what happened, not a perfect 1:1 ratio that's going to explain why you got outgunned.

Quote Originally Posted by AbsoluteDeicide View Post
    What's funny is I barely ever watch the kill cam (I know how I died), but for those times when I'm ready to rage like the average forum-goer here I'll watch it and 95% of the time it's not even the guy I was looking at that killed me. He'll have a buddy next to him that I didn't even see or a Scout across the map gets me. That's what the kill cams are good for, to make you realize what an idiot you are. Other than that they're just representations of what happened, not a perfect 1:1 ratio that's going to explain why you got outgunned.
    I'm not making excuses or anything, i was more so giving a very basic super short story of Lag Comp. I barley look at the cams either, mainly due to the fact that (like you) i know how i died, and 2, if it WAS some sort of lag, i do't need to be in a worse mood than i already am lol.

yup, if you watch the kill cams sometimes, it will be completely different than what you saw happen. The enemy may have seen you peek out and start shooting 1 second after you did, thusly, giving you the disadvantage. But unfortunately, Lag Compensation is a necessary evil.

Here is the video i posted a while back explaining it, it's slow going at first (skip to about 1:50 if you just want to skip the fancy talk, lol)

and for anyone who is going to say it's CoD, this is in effect in ALL games, CoD just has a better way to compare it.
    So nobody gets confused; in this game "killcams are showing the exact same game events that had taken place as you had seen them but from the enemy's view. Not like Call of Duty for example, where it's the game events that the enemy had seen which are displayed from the enemy's view." And lag compensation works significantly better in older multiplayer games. It just seems too heavily implemented or poorly written into the netcode of recent games. It also does not necessarily have to be a part of the netcode. For instance, the original Gears of War doesn't have lag compensation and it works much better then it's sequels that do have it.

they still need dedicated servers period!!! and not allow so much of this different country's playing together it causes LAG!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by vl Punisher lv View Post
    they still need dedicated servers period!!! and not allow so much of this different country's playing together it causes LAG!!!!!!
    dedicated servers wouldn't necessarily make this better, it all depends on how far from the server you are, and still, host can have advantage, man. What this game REALLY needs is a bigger online community, and A LOT of the problems will be less encountered.

dedicated servers wouldn't necessarily make this better, it all depends on how far from the server you are, and still, host can have advantage, man. What this game REALLY needs is a bigger online community, and A LOT of the problems will be less encountered.
    ok yes from the server does have alot to do with it is why you do dedicated servers! and not so much where it's east coast dominate and in france and few other places! not to mention the online community ain't got nothing to do with the code writing! hence dev team needs to be more on top things but like all shooters and this is becoming one those fix as we go things! OH GOW and BF both proved that dedicated servers work alot better! JUST SAYIN!! aka proof is in the pudding!

Although you have to admit this game chooses some terrible hosts. You can see this in scoreboards [as well] with just about everyone having even kill/death ratios. But like you said.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast