What I know for sure about the tourny:
(Note: these bullet points include some of the tourny's rules, but not all of them. The official rules will be posted when I post the official tournament thread.)
1. Xbox only.
2. It will be 3v3 Manhunt. Substitutes are highly recommended, but not required. Subs must be approved prior to the tournament's start time either via PM on Xbox or in the Tournament thread.
3. If it is only 8 teams, it will be best of 3 double elimination with a double elimination finals. (Therefore, the team that advanced from the loser's bracket needs to beat the winner's bracket team in two best of three series) If it is 16 teams, it will be best of 5 single elimination with a single elimination finals.
4. Any rules violations will result in immediate disqualification as per the tournament manager(s) (me so far, possibly another person helping me).
5. For every 15 minutes you can not provide a full team of 3 for your match that round, you receive a game loss. In the event of a best of 3, that means that after 30 minutes you are disqualified and either sent to the loser's bracket, or are disqualified if it is a loser's bracket match. In the event of a best of 5, you have 45 minutes before a total match loss. For example, if Pubstomping Pwnys is 30 minutes late for a best of 5, they will be going into game 3 with 2 losses.
6. This is a competitive tournament amongst friends. Meaning everyone is expected to play to win, whatever that may entail. At the same time, Be respectful towards people's playstyles. If a team stunlocks on defense (something people on the forums have complained about) and win, respect them for winning. If a team point starves (something people on the forums have complained about) and win, respect them for winning.
7. Players from all regions are eligible. Something to keep in mind in regards to this, is that the match times may not always reflect what is the best time for a certain region. Please do not complain about match times. There is no way to please everyone. I'm taking a "lag gamble" as it is by allowing people from Asia to play with people from America and with people from Europe at the same time. Please do not complain about the lag. As this will be a worldwide tournament, there will be lag, and there will be late nights. If you do not feel comfortable with either, do not participate.
8. As much of the elimination bracket will be played all in one night. Ideally, I would like everything but the finals played all in one giant session. This is to avoid the tournament taking more than a weekend. We have had tournaments in the past where matches were not scheduled, and it resulted in the tournament taking upwards of a month to complete. If I take the elimination bracket outside of one night, the tournament WILL result in more disqualifications than are necessary. Quite simply, if you cannot commit a team of three to the weekend of the tournament, do not participate.
What I do not not know for sure:
1. What maps would you guys like to play on? I am open to playing on all maps, because I believe each map offers different strategies for both offense and defense and I feel a truly competitive tournament will be won by the team that adapts to each situation in the best possible way.
2. What weekend in September/October works for the majority of players that are interested? I will not be able to please everyone. If this is a 16 team tournament as I suspect it will be, that means upwards of 64 people could be participating across multiple time zones. The best possible answer you guys could give me would include multiple weekends. Also, are you willing to play on a Friday?
3. Would the community be interested in a minor entrance fee (everything would be handled through paypal)? This entrance fee would go entirely towards prizes. I would not keep any for myself (unless my team wins of course :-p) With a 15 dollar per team entrance fee, (5 dollars from each of the players that would receive a prize for winning) I could furnish a copy of AC:3 for the 3 primary members of the winning team and use the remaining money to ship it. Money left over past shipping and purchase costs could be split up amongst the winning team (would be a little more than the entry fee most likely). Alternatively, I could just paypal back the equivalent monetary amount to an individual if he/she does not want a copy of AC:3.
For me to employ an entrance fee, I need basically 90% or better interest from participating teams. It would not be fair to enforce a fee if only 3 or 4 of the teams were interested out of 16, so a minimum of 14 teams out of 16 would be required. Please tell me whether or not you would be interested now, and then again once the official tournament thread gets created. If it does not fly now, I won't bring it up again. Once again, this is an all or nothing thing. If it becomes a big prize tournament, then every team participating will need to pay. If your team does not pay, I will find another team that will.
4. Based off of prior tournaments, are there any rules or stipulations you would like me to consider? How do you feel we should deal with disconnects? I have a basis for my disconnects rule in mind, but I am interested in what the community would like to see.
That's what we're looking at as of now. Please feel free to leave as many replies as you wish, I will read them all. Please refrain from messaging me on Xbox about matters regarding this tournament until the week of the tournament. For personal organizational purposes, having all of the community's input truncated in this thread will make this process much, much easier.