I know that this has already been disscused in other threads, but they are so full and clustered that it is hard to get your views accross, so i thought a new more focused thread was needed.
It has been confirmed by ubisoft in many interviews that there will be a map editor, much like the one in far cry 2 but this time it will be bigger and better.
The editor is currently under development, as shown by the lack of concrete info release at this time.
So i thought that now was the perfect time to start a disscussion on what new ideas or improvements could made to the editor, as it is still under development and our ideas may just be included.
Let me start:
- The perimeter of the map editor should be made circular not square, so that if someone wants to make an island map, the horizon will look accurate.
- More urban paint textures, like concrete, gravel etc. to make urban built up maps easier to make. It was nearly impossible to make a decent looking urban map in far cry 2 (and by urban, i mean a small collection of huts or buildings, such as can be seen on the sub pen map)
- Also more detail paint textures to add highlights to exhisting paints, e.g. a sand spray, and then a dirty sandspray for around rocks or buildings.
- The ability for some paint textures like concrete or urban ground to automatically crop out vegetation over them, this would stop the hugely inconvenient grass popping up where it isnt wanted, the same could be done to buildings
- More detail objects to make the map more immersive, alot of resources in the original game like beer bottles, radios, burnt out trucks etc. were not in the editor
- To NOT include vehicles. I like the fact that far cry is going for a more focused gameplay style than before, and we should respect the game designers decision to leave out vehicles, they are the professionals.
- Not being able to download and change other peoples maps, but the ability to download and edit the maps the game is shipped with, to give a substantial template for beginers and the abilty to see how the pros do it.
- A minimap will be available for the shipped maps but im unsure if this will be available for user made ones, would be good if it could auto map all major objects like buildings, roads and gun placements
There are also some other, more wishfull requests like:
- Multi-plane water
- Waves on the occean
- The ability to add un-interactive "backdrops" like distant islands, dense jungle, ocean or mountains so that the map doesnt just end (this kind of scenery can be scene on the sub pen map). These backdrops would not be able to be interacted with so it wouldnt require more memory.
- The ability to make some objects appear in certain gamemodes only
- The ability to make some spawn points appear in certain gamemodes only
- Being able to build maps with more than one person
- The possibility to edit under terrain to make caves, bunkers etc.
Please add your ideas and lets get the devs to check this out!!