Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Far Cry 3 Map Editor: Ideas and Features disscussion | Forums

Far Cry Classic Launch Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - The year is 2007, it is the future

Far Cry 3 - Deluxe Bundle Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Outpost App [UK]

I have said many times that I would like a Terrain Height Indicator as it would help speed things up when editing terrain at different levels, currently on FC2 it is mostly guess work, also I want a better way of lining up objects quickly - A rotate by degrees would be much easier, say 45 degrees as default and an option to change the degrees to suit the author - Also if the items can be reset to a default position this would help because often switching from one piece to another they stay at the same angle as the last item. Also more terrain pain in the menu - one more slot would do, 4 was not really enough plus a lot of the terrain paint on FC2 was naff - I would actually like some stuff similar to marble / tile / road / lots of different choices, cracked earth etc etc
    http://forums.ubi.com/image.php?u=977913&type=sigpic&dateline=1408306127
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by FALLEN CHAMP View Post
    I have said many times that I would like a Terrain Height Indicator as it would help speed things up when editing terrain at different levels, currently on FC2 it is mostly guess work, also I want a better way of lining up objects quickly - A rotate by degrees would be much easier, say 45 degrees as default and an option to change the degrees to suit the author - Also if the items can be reset to a default position this would help because often switching from one piece to another they stay at the same angle as the last item. Also more terrain pain in the menu - one more slot would do, 4 was not really enough plus a lot of the terrain paint on FC2 was naff - I would actually like some stuff similar to marble / tile / road / lots of different choices, cracked earth etc etc
    The only way you will line up things properly in a 3d editor is to have x y z axis grid windows with the fourth being a preview render window.... If every brush and object has a properties tab then you can simply type what degrees of pitch yaw and roll in along with the lod settings and so fouth basically all the given parameters for that object/prop, brush or entity and physics properties if it has any... Chosing weather it should break on x amount of damage given and have an input and output system so it can chain to triggers or other events have a name and a place in the game world and talk to other entities in the world too. e.g on broken fires and output to a environment flame to ignite this will start the flames burning and the flames will also have set parameters too along with pitch yam and roll and ferocity of the flames etc
    Last edited by ronster2011; 08-04-2012 at 02:57 PM.

You know where you are? ... Your in the jungle baby...... Your gonna die.....

A good First-person Shooter should:

- have precise, manual controls - e.g. no auto-aim
    - put balance, challenge and fun above realism
    - be full of fast-paced real-time action
    - let cunning, intelligence and skill decide who wins (PvP)
    - have simple mechanics: easy to learn but difficult to master

personally I'd be happy with just 3 points..

- Terrain forming worked like that in the first crysis' map editor (just check youtube)
    - Vehicles in custom maps as they will be necessary if we want to make bigger warring boards (i know they - for some reason - opted out of this in the normal MP maps to make the game... better?)
    - Pedators... predators... predators.. not just the mode but the whole concept is what made Far Cry special for me, along with tree traps but that was never a part of map editor. I would love the ability to put down the predator pickups again like in instincts (I also wish they'd made an instincts version of FC2 aswell.. even as a DLC wouldve been nice but never mind.

Easy as that ... OH F*CK AND BRING BACK OFFLINE SPLITSCREEN so that we at least get to play our maps against people even when the online community are just ignoring you. There's nothing worse than putting hours into a map only to have no one join the game... ever
    ============================================
    [360] RECENT MAPS: WORKSHOP WARZ - CAVE ROBBERS - HILLTOP HIDEOUTS - ARENA OF PAIN

[360] WIP MAPS: BOAT WARS 3 - SURVIVOR SERIES - QUARRY QUERY - DEATH STAR VALLEY - GREENHOUSE EFFECT - HIGHWAY PATROL

Bots. That can be set up as spawns - with maybe 3 levels of AI difficulty. Imagine the possibilities - zombie maps, custom game modes, survival mode, can be played as a single player level, can add a 'pirate' faction to MP, perfect for escape maps (prison guards/patrols). A big ask I know. But I don't see a downside.
    Last edited by GUN_SABOTUR; 08-07-2012 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GUN_SABOTUR View Post
    Bots. That can be set up as spawns - with maybe 3 levels of AI difficulty. Imagine the possibilities - zombie maps, custom game modes, survival mode, can be played as a single player level, can add a 'pirate' faction to MP, perfect for escape maps (prison guards/patrols). A big ask I know. But I don't see a downside.
    The engine will be able to calculate walkable space for npc's all that id required is normally place a few hint or infomation nodes to help the engine guide an npc along possible routes. I.e not keep running face flat against a wall instead of this it would look for the next node instead of get stuck... This all comes down to ai and how easily you can give it a bit of help to avoid these sad but funny momments

Bring it to XBOX

Bring it xbox multiplayer and must be able to create huge maps

Just come under the realisation that the in game editor is fundamentally different to that of a source design kit.....

The bottom line is fun but very limited.... Do not expect the in game editor be able to keep up with your imagination but within the confines of what is provided make what you can and make some fun maps with whatever materials and brushes that are given and have fun.

There are real positives to this but the price is limitations on the other side of the coin when you create from scratch and maps are leaking out into the void of infinity this can be a headache.

A safe area to create is a good place to base a terrain editor but the more creative freedom they can provide within the confines of the safe in game editor the better and will only serve to give the game longer life.

I do hope they can provide a set grid or atleast height markers... copy and paste functions selection tools and carve and make hollow by positve or negative.

More brush shapes than just sqaure and circle for creation.

Different maps from start i.e. water map with no terrain / all terrain no water / all skybox no terrain or wateras defaults this will help creativity in a basic editor such as this
    moveable brushes would be a nice feature for platforms doors or elevators although this can cause physics issues.

Placeable weapons there is absolutley no technical reason this cannot be done if you can pick up weapons off the ground then you can pick up weapons off the ground simple as that.... We have already seen the abilty in single player to spawn with no weapons the feature is available so unfortunatley it all depends on how limited they wish the editor to be
    Last edited by ronster2011; 08-07-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Like a bunch of others said, BOTS. Theres no technical reason these couldnt be included. There in the SP game already. Can you imagine the SP maps we could make? and all the game modes along with it? (Like Sab said)

Also , allow us to upload custom pics for our maps and to stamp on objects in the map editor, like in LBP. Yeah youll get an occasional shlong, but those accounts can be banned. If they can manage it in LBP, they can in FC3.

how about the ability to create terrain in mid air? Geometric and free form. It would boost creativity for those flipped out maps we all love.

And imo we need more than 4 paint slots. Especially if they add things like concrete, metal, diamond plate etc etc. 10 would be more like it, cause well be making most things outta terrain to save mem.

Maybe even a skyscraper paint?!?!?! So we can make terrain skyscrapers in the background and paint then to look real and save alot of mem?!?!?!?!? OH YEAH
    BRING BACK THE LOBBY MP SYSTEM IN FAR CRY 4!

Quote Originally Posted by ronster2011 View Post
    Placeable weapons there is absolutley no technical reason this cannot be done if you can pick up weapons off the ground then you can pick up weapons off the ground simple as that.... We have already seen the abilty in single player to spawn with no weapons the feature is available so unfortunatley it all depends on how limited they wish the editor to be
    This has been confirmed as being in the editor, which I think is great, it will allow us to influence how the map is played, by putting snipers in watch towers, machine guns in bunkers and also place a few low grade weapons at each base in an armory in case you run out of ammo.

I dont expect much from the editor, and i wouldnt mind something similar to the Far Cry 2 editor with new objects paints etc. but i really hope they dont leave out features that could be very powerfull and easy to implament.

Key features, which are reasonable, like:
    1. The option to alter the horizon to accomodate for island maps, if it be making the edge of the map round, or letting water that is over the terrain reach far out over the map edge
    2. More, more and then some more objects. There was so much in game that wasn't in the editor, in particular detail objects, like beer bottles, radios, ash trays, and lanterns which would have made the maps so much more immersive, if we had these ( instead of bags of grain and pottery which were useless) it would make the maps so much more immersive
    3. The option on paints to tweak weather the collection system can be placed on it. You would use this on rock, concrete or sand to stop those irritating moments when grass crops into unwanted areas. This could be done by effectively spraying the erase vegatation tool at the same time as the paint (this probably isn't the most effective way, but shows how easy it could be), and it would be good for this option to be available for buildings

I have one question though, does anyone know how the firestorm mode is placed in the editor? It was said that the fire spreading was scripted so that it didn't ruin gameplay, so will we be able to set how the fire will spread?

It has been confirmed as possible but there has been no mention about how to spawn everyone into game with no weapons..... There is a number of ways this can be achieved.

The map file would have an option that on map load overides all players load outs to a blank loadout with only their battle cries

The single player spawn entity is different to multiplayer spawn entity but the option could be included within the spawn points to either spawn with nothing or desired weapons overiding loadout at this level.

Or finally an invisible brush zone that covers all the player spawns that would strip the player of all weapons on map load... or force weapons upon the spawns to all have shotguns for instance

The same sort of issues with ladders and ziplines with an in game editor is that there are multiple pieces involved with values and brush or function tools and entities to make these things work... I hope that they do not limit the amount of ladders and ziplines and have options to either create them from scratch with a tutorial or if they feel it neccesary to pre-program this stuff tso you simply put it in the map and it works then the IGE will decipher the values and co-ordinates of all the start points, end points and the angles of the traversing or track function and trigger boxes.

The actual physical Ladder and the zipline do nothing by them selves as objects it is all the other invisible non rendered brushes and entities that make this stuff work. This is what people will want to do though get more advanced with it so I see it as a will they or won't they scenario

to do this stuff you really need a grid

Somthing like that might work in the render window the lines would display on the selected object or prop for alignment although you need to see it properly here http://www.euclideanspace.com/maths/...vec3dPoint.png

with an option to toggle to this

Somone suggested being able to use brushes in mid air..... errr could you not draw platforms or anything before???

Whole heartedly I think you most certainly should be able to make brushes where ever you want to put them within the predetermined space and manipulate the angles shape i.e. vertex or displacement or carve and have more brushes than farcry 2 and alot of textures for all sorts of environments to help creativity

This coupled with a snap to grid feature will help people make symetrical architecture or buildings and help people copy paste and rotate and mirror a map like a 2 forts map or a symetrical yard map.from brushes atleast you will be able to line things up proprly with a grid overlay even in the render window

I don't mind if the editor does not ship with the game at launch if it means getting a better editor then this is the way forward alot games don't ship with the editor they normally come after launch anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by conor122 View Post
    I have one question though, does anyone know how the firestorm mode is placed in the editor? It was said that the fire spreading was scripted so that it didn't ruin gameplay, so will we be able to set how the fire will spread?
    There will need to be triggers involved in firestorm so it would seem that it could be pre-prapred fire entities that will automatically chain when you place them... in a map but we have not seen the footage of this mode yet so it's still anyones guess really

I would also like to add to this that the AI in the dunia engine is non scripted so I am correct about putting nodes in to help them navigate. or you have to make a nav map for them so bot's are entirely possible this would really help more quality maps as you could playtest them before publishing I am not suggesting using bots as a substitute for real players but to test maps out it would be a great feature indeed.. more work but good feature to test your maps out
    Last edited by ronster2011; 08-08-2012 at 11:50 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast