Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to level solos? | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Quote Originally Posted by Yrd View Post
    I think the worst part of this solo was the bends when I was messing with it, they have to be perfect. I haven't played it for a while. Try to learn the part that you're missing, or the game thinks you're missing, enough to play it and watch the screen so you can find out what notes you're missing.

Or you can use the free speed option. I think it's a horrible tool for learning, but it does work for finding which notes the game doesn't pick up. It will stop the song until you hit that last note you missed.
    It might be just me, but I've gotten credit for notes all the time in other game modes that Free Speed doesn't give me credit for. For instance holding a bend for the duration is required in Free Speed, but you get credit for holding it at all other modes.

Just makes a bad mode worse, really, but apart from seeing the chart the first time, I find Free Speed pretty much useless (and unsettling)
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

In this regard, I wish the Rocksmith guys could add an information screen or something at the end of Riff Repeater section runs when you fail to level up. As it is now, it's quite often almost impossible to know which notes you've missed, which is super frustrating.

Even if it was just a simple text overlay thing that said "missed 13th note: bend on 7th fret on high E", "missed 22nd note: palm muted 3rd fret on A string", or something similar, it would help a lot.

(To be both more fancy and more informative, this is a spot where I believe an ordinary tablature view could be super helpful, by the way: after playing the section and missing out on the level-up, show a 2D tab sheet with red X-markers for the notes you missed.)

Quote Originally Posted by rcole_sooner View Post
    You cannot level in the AC, only in the LV.

I do use the AC to learn solos, that I just can't get in the LV. To do this, I crank the mastery to 100% (before the set speed run), then during the set speed run, I miss notes until I get the speed where I want it. This can be a little frustrating, but the only way, until manual speed adjust gets here. Then I practice it. If I feel I'm hitting it well, and want to keep the speed, then I will miss some notes on purpose to keep the current speed.

Once I feel good, it is back to the LV. I may put it up to 100% mastery, or maybe just one step below 100% (whatever that is).

You don't have to complete sections at 100%, you just have to get the mastery up to 100% (i.e. complete the mastery at the previous step). That is good enough to get purple once the song score is over 100K.
    Pretty much what I do as well, works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by oyvindogland View Post
    You'r probably right about that, but the bends aren't my problem (atleast not now), it's kind of hard for me to see which notes I'm missing while I'm playing, but it seems like my pulloffs are a bit week, as I've seen them more than once not being registered. Guess I just have to work on it.

As for leveling solos in genral, is it best to use the levler or the accellerator(Have never used this myself), or is that different from solo to solo?
    Well, if you think you are missing notes. then I would just recommend Riff Repeater, using the Free Speed. The advantage here, is that the note highway will stop whenever you miss a note. Unfortunately, the disadvantage is that if your timing isn't spot on, the notes will stop. I don't care much for Free Speed, but it does have it's uses.

Phalaris.

I have leveled this solo as well and i believe you can't miss a note at 100%. I would say just keep practicing and you will get it. I had a post a couple months ago about finally get this solo and scoring pretty well on this song. It is a fun song keep practicing and the better eye to hand coordination you get you will eventually get it.

Another thing I do is go onto Youtube and play a mastered video of the song and play along to it to work on the solo.

I've been working on this solo for the last couple of days and man, when you start nailing it.. it's great.

Use all the tools at your disposal. Accelerator, Leveler and Free Speed. Mix them up. They all help.

Another little 'trick' that I just figured out but I'm not sure if it's required in this song:

It wants a bend, a note then the same bend again and again then a note.

Hold the bend. Play the note, then play the bend again without ever having released it.

I found this happens quite a few times in 'I Believe in a thing called Love' and it helps a friggin' crapton to just keep the note bent throughout.

You know what I mean?

Once again, not sure if it applies in the Boston solo.. I haven't memorized it yet, still need the screen, but thought I'd mention it anyway.

I will say this, if you keep practicing, you'll get it. For sure. I have never played a solo in my life until this game came out and now a year after playing it, solos are just starting to 'work' for me.

My fingers are ratched though.. Screw you, fret 21 bends.

I had trouble with this one too. And I used to play it in a band in a previous life.
    Finally I sat and watched/listened without playing. And it hit me. I was playing 1 note wrong. The note wasn't wrong, but it was one of other guitar parts, not the one charted.
    Once I figured that out, instant master mode.

I find sometimes I just don't hear it properly while playing along. Another one that hit me in the car was the chorus on Bring me to Life.
    It came on the radio, and suddenly I realized I was screwing up the rythm on 2 chords. Got home, mastered it.

So short version, stop and listen.

Quote Originally Posted by moe5555 View Post
    In this regard, I wish the Rocksmith guys could add an information screen or something at the end of Riff Repeater section runs when you fail to level up. As it is now, it's quite often almost impossible to know which notes you've missed, which is super frustrating.

Even if it was just a simple text overlay thing that said "missed 13th note: bend on 7th fret on high E", "missed 22nd note: palm muted 3rd fret on A string", or something similar, it would help a lot.

(To be both more fancy and more informative, this is a spot where I believe an ordinary tablature view could be super helpful, by the way: after playing the section and missing out on the level-up, show a 2D tab sheet with red X-markers for the notes you missed.)
    I REALLLLLLLY like this idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Cloudfuel View Post
    I REALLLLLLLY like this idea!
    I do too, but also to add to what moe5555 said, " (To be both more fancy and more informative, this is a spot where I believe an ordinary tablature view could be super helpful, by the way: after playing the section and missing out on the level-up, show a 2D tab sheet with red X-markers for the notes you missed.) ", I would also like to see a replay !!! By this I mean, ok, you know how there is a 'replay' when you Reharse or Perform a song ?, so firstly, I think it would be great if we can replay that Replay as often as we want until we decide to quit it. ( It would also be great if we could save that replay, like in racing games etc..., but then that would probably require too much memory space??)

Secondly, if they could implement a system in that replay to indicate at what points on the note highway the errors we make occur. It already shows flashes for notes played correctly so why not also give visual clues as to what and where the mistakes were and occurred. I think that would assist greatly in helping us to analyze our playing/mistakes, and if this was done in conjunction with the '2D Tab sheet with red X-markers' as suggested by moe555, RS would be a winner all the way as a truly amazing learning tool, which it already is, BTW !!! Long Live ROCKSMITH !

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast