Thread: How can I unzip pak files? | Forums

Far Cry Classic Launch Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon - The year is 2007, it is the future

Far Cry 3 - Deluxe Bundle Trailer [UK]

Far Cry 3 Outpost App [UK]

the title says it all. How do I unzip or extract pak files, the reason is that I want to unzip the music.pak file so I can listen to the music. will unzipping a pak file cause any problems in the game if so I can just copy the file to another place and unzip it their.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

the title says it all. How do I unzip or extract pak files, the reason is that I want to unzip the music.pak file so I can listen to the music. will unzipping a pak file cause any problems in the game if so I can just copy the file to another place and unzip it their.

rename .pak to.zip

might want to copy it first just in case something goes wrong..

How do I rename the file extension when I click on it it says rename but I cant rename the extension.

when you right click on it..click on rename.

The whole name with extension should turn blue.Click again to get cursor.Use left/right arrows to move to .pak

delete pak and type in zip

When I click rename for the first time it only lets me rename the actual name of the file not the extension, I cant seem to get it to do what you told me. Here is the steps I took.

right clicked on the file
    chose rename (I cant see the file extension now all I can see is the name that I am changing)

After that I get confused could you explain a bit better?
    I am using WinXP if that helps.

Sounds like you have the 'hide extensions' option in Windows Explorer enabled. To view extensions, open a Windows Explorer session and click on Tools | Folder Options... | View and then disable the 'Hide extensions for known file types' option.

Also, rather than renaming the PAK files, it's easier to just associate WinZip with them. To do this, right click on a PAK file and select Properties. In the General tab, click on the 'Change...' button beside 'Opens with:' and choose 'Select the program from a list' option. Click on OK and you will be presented with a list of applications. Select WinZip, enable the 'Always open with' option and click on OK. From now on, double-clicking on any PAK file will open it with WinZip.

Just right-click the file, select open, then find Winzip and press ok, should work.
    That's what I did with WinRAR and it's working fine.