Week 25 challenge "Jessica" (Combo) by The Allman Brothers Band
Week 25 challenge "Jessica" (Combo) by The Allman Brothers Band
1) A song and particular arrangement will be posted before Tuesday every week.
2) There are four competitive categories. To foster a fair, fun, and competitive environment, players should self-select into the category that best describes their ability. This categorization should remain stable from week to week, unless a player determines that they have initially self-selected into the wrong division.
Division I: Can level most songs to 100%, and can play most songs proficiently - 95+% accuracy. Can master songs like Mean B!tch, Chimney, Good Enough etc.
Division II: Can level several songs to 100%, may have trouble accurately playing them at that level. General accuracy 85-95%.
Division III: May level some easier songs to 100, but others will be partially leveled. Regularly scores 70-95k. Can level songs like Song 2 single note, Go With The Flow combo, Angela, or chord arrangements to 100%.
Division IV: New to guitar. No songs really leveled to 100%.
There will also be "honorable mentions" for note streak, accuracy, and master mode entries.
3) Each participant is allowed to make a single entry in the division they have selected. All submissions for the main divisions should be in standard rehearsal or performance mode, even for songs that are mastered. Master Mode entries will not count towards the competition scoring.
4) Entries must be made by replying to the song thread with your score and difficulty in the title (this way we won't have to sift through post content). For example: 124,033 (Division I).
5) Please only submit one score per song. If you play the song later in the week and do better, go to your original post and edit with the replacement score and pic.
6) To be entered in the competition you must submit a picture of the song results replay screen (showing score, percentage, and note streak)
7) All entries must be in before Monday, so by 11:59 Sunday night (based on EST Time Zone or UTC-5 internationally)
8) A separate thread showing the winners of each difficulty category will be posted by the previous week's winner, and the selection of the following week's song will be the responsibility of one of these winners.
9) We will rotate the responsibility of selecting the next song and arrangement each week starting with Division IV, III, II, then I. Rinse and repeat.
10) In the event that the winner does not respond to a PM notification to start a new thread by Tuesday, the winner of the next category in the rotation will be notified to select an arrangement and start a thread.
11)The winner/song selector must PM Black_Widow9, Mr_Shade, rcole_sooner, T_O_A_D after creating the new Challenge thread with the winners
The winner of Division I will select the next song
Last edited by derrickhenry1; 08-05-2012 at 07:16 AM.
So originally I was set on "House of the Rising Sun," then I realized how difficult that song can be. It is a beautiful song if you can play it but very discouraging for probably every division player. Decided to go with a beautiful classic song that I personally enjoy playing a lot and it very challenging. This will also give me an idea if I need to move up to Division 1 or not as well. So game on Division 1 because this song is challenging.
Day 1: Had to get to work early on this song for I work a bunch this week and going camping for 2 days will post a score later tonight possibly, did the riff repeater and leveled every phrase except solo 4 and 5. Not sure if I will be able to master this song. Original score was 92k bumped it up through riff repeater.
Day 2: Worked 13 hours so no practice and will be going camping for the next 2 days so no xbox playing at all.
Day 3 & 4: Camping
Day 5: Hoping to be able to play tonight. 2 plays so far tonight score up to 111,474 see if I can score better, will post picture later
Day 6. No practice worked 12 hours today.
Day 7: 3 runs at it did improve score, my girl is coming over so no more time to play. Did play once at 93%, but had a lower score, just couldn't ever level solo 5 all the way up could only get it to 92%.
Last edited by derrickhenry1; 08-06-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Great song. I would practice right now but I've badly messed up my guitar intonation. I've been trying to get it correct for a day or two now with no luck.
Other than that. I've got a question. This is weekly challenge is basically one week of focusing on one song?
Yeah just the song chosen for the week to see how much you can improve.
Originally Posted by DreamAwake
ADD does not approve
Originally Posted by derrickhenry1
I have this DLC and I've wanted to play it forever, though I was kinda stalling waiting for the slowdown patch to really learn it; this one kinda sucks with the practice tools available right now >.>.
Ah well, I'll give it a try. I think I'm at about 80K right now and I'll aim to master it and then re-master it when I can lock things in at a lower tempo later.
Good pick imo; great song.
Ack! Another selection of a DLC song I am not the slightest bit familiar with (and obviously don't have -- yet). Then again, I had plenty of fun (and pain!) with last week's selection, which I also wasn't really familiar with before the challenge, so let me have a look on YouTube to see if I'll buy this and participate; if not I can sit this week's challenge out and work on Smoke On The Water and Barracuda instead...
Taking part in the weekly challenges is getting to be really addictive...
Edit: just checked it out on YouTube. Great song (which I had in fact heard before, but with no lyrics the song title never registered), but it's a killer to play!! Waaaaaaayyyy beyond my modest level of competence... if I do this, I think I'll struggle to break even 60K... let's see how masochistic I feel later.
Last edited by armoury_R1; 07-30-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Div II: 75,589, 193 streak, 89% accuracy
Let's do this!
75k new high, time to level up solos!
Last edited by Th3Pa1nK1Ll3r; 08-02-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Awesome song, hard as heck. I love listening to it when I watch my favorite tv show, Top Gear UK.
114'869 (Division II)
posting this for my 11 y/o son, who wants to participate in the Weekly Challenge. He's not old enough to be allowed his own forum user, by the forum rules, so I promised him to help out by posting in this thread. Hope that's ok.
He insists he should compete in Division II. I'm a bit skeptical, as he has done less than 1.5 years of fairly low-intensity guitar practice, so Div III seems more like his league to me, but let's see how it goes this week.
DLC downloaded and he's all ready to start, so I'll update with an early score & screenshot later today, probably (unless the song is super tough).
edit0: Uploading score from first run (29k), just to check out img uploading etc, since we're new to the forum.
edit1: First proper run, scoring 76k. No work done on levelling up the solos, yet.
edit2: New high, 84.5k.
Last edited by moe5555; 08-05-2012 at 12:20 PM.
Reason: new submit