Thread: Silent Hunter won't work | Forums

Silent Hunter won't work

Hello,

Yesterday I bought and downloaded Silent Hunter 3. Firstly, can I not change the paint in the menu, and secondly refers the shortcut on my desktop to a website that no longer exists.

Can someone help me?

With kind regards,
    P.W.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by petkoe2012 View Post
    Hello,

Yesterday I bought and downloaded Silent Hunter 3. Firstly, can I not change the paint in the menu, and secondly refers the shortcut on my desktop to a website that no longer exists.

Can someone help me?

With kind regards,
    P.W.

Greetings, petkoe2012. Welcome to the SH Forums.

What website did you d/l SHIII from? It's been awhile since I've played SHIII, mostly because I'm using Win 7 nowadays. But I believe that there are no options for changing the looks of the Menu. If you are looking for the shIII.exe, you'll find it in the game folder where you've installed the game.

"Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" LtCDR Samuel D Dealey
    SHIV Guide I Imperial Japanese Navy l US Submarines: Pacific Theater

Quote Originally Posted by tambor198 View Post
    Greetings, petkoe2012. Welcome to the SH Forums.

What website did you d/l SHIII from? It's been awhile since I've played SHIII, mostly because I'm using Win 7 nowadays. But I believe that there are no options for changing the looks of the Menu. If you are looking for the shIII.exe, you'll find it in the game folder where you've installed the game.
    I downloaded the game from Simmarket and I did not know You can't play the game with Windows 7.

Quote Originally Posted by petkoe2012 View Post
    I downloaded the game from Simmarket and I did not know You can't play the game with Windows 7.

Some people have been able to get SH III to run on Win 7, I'm just not one of those people.

"Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" LtCDR Samuel D Dealey
    SHIV Guide I Imperial Japanese Navy l US Submarines: Pacific Theater

It runs fine on my W7 64 bit system. You must not install it into C:\Program Files or whatever the default folder is for W7. The best practice is to install it into a custom installation path, such as "C:\SH3." This eliminates the hassles associated with Windows user account access. Make a desktop shortcut to the SH3.exe file and you are good to go. I am only stopping by right now for a quick visit, but I seem to recall there is a sticky thread on here somewhere that tells users how to install the game on Vista or W7. There is also a utility somewhere on the internet that "patches" the game to run on machines with higher memory than older systems. For example, my notebook has 8GB of RAM. If your system has 4GB or more of RAM this utility is advisable. I just cannot find a download link for it but I believe I have a copy of it on an external hard drive somewhere in my computer room. I'll check in later to see how this thread is going, but right now I am just on a quick visit and don't have the time to go fully into it all. Hope this helps, though. Don't give up, the game can be played on W7 64 bit. Or 32 bit, I should suppose, though I have never used 32 bit W7.