Thread: Choosing Graphic Options in SH - WOTP freezes game | Forums

Choosing Graphic Options in SH - WOTP freezes game

Just installed Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific on my up to date high powered Win XP sp3, 2GB, Radeon 4850, SB Live.

First of all let me just say I feel there is no future in PC Gaming! Why, well because quite obvious some game developers are incapable of creating game that works on all PC's. I realize that the task to develop for such a huge variety of graphic and sound cards may be an evenly huge task. I complained to UBISoft for almost a full year about Anno 1404 that it would not work at all on my Win XP, before finally found the simple answer via Google, to delete the configuration file and start the game and it would recreate it and work! WOW how come in the first place UBISoft can release it like that, and secondly how come UBISoft's support could not provide the answer already known on the Internet?

For this game another UBISoft dissapointment. For one the included Updater, as seen in Start folder, surely find and downloads Update 1.4, HOWEVER when finished and it asks if you want to run, IT DOES NOTHING!?! So one sits here for several minutes waiting for something to happen, wondering if it updates totally in the background! Then after 5 minutes I run the program, but no still V1.0. So I search my ENTIRE C-drive, yes including hidden files and folders, but no silent_hunter update. So I download it off your website and run it.

Now it starts however in a non-framed window mode. When I go to Options, I can select Sound Options fine, but every time I try to select, even after restarting the game and click "Graphic Options" it freezes, and mouse cursor disappears over the game window, although mouse cursor reappears when moving away from game window. Hitting Alt F4 won't exit game, so I have to exit via Task Manager.

Now I finally realize why I do not play PC Games anymore! Because of defective games like UBISoft's Anno 1404 and Silent Hunter - Wolves of the Pacific. Thanks to companies like UBISoft I am not going to buy another PC game ever!

In the mean time I would appreaciate some support on my original online store bought copy of Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific as I promised my 5 year old son I would show him how to sink a ship with a submarine, we already spent more than an hour with this crap.

Thanks
    Last edited by DKDiveDude; 07-19-2012 at 04:52 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hello DKDrivedude,

Did you download load this game or do you have the Dvd? Do you have the latest Directx 9.0c version installed? You can download Directx 9.0c here.

After you did the update were you able to go to the main menu and see if it did update your game to 1.4.

There are two versions of Silent Hunter. One is Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific and the other is Silent Hunter with U-boat Missions (Gold Edition) version 1.5

"When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the *** with a banjo" by Chief Officer Steward Dogan - USS Gurnard.
    -------------
    SHIV Guide - TMOwTw 2.5 - Shipping Route Maps US & Jap - TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5 - SH4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Yooperbacker View Post
    Hello DKDrivedude,

Did you download load this game or do you have the Dvd? Do you have the latest Directx 9.0c version installed? You can download Directx 9.0c here.

After you did the update were you able to go to the main menu and see if it did update your game to 1.4.

There are two versions of Silent Hunter. One is Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific and the other is Silent Hunter with U-boat Missions (Gold Edition) version 1.5

I have the DVD.
    Yes latest version of DirectX 9.0c
    Yes I can see via non-framed windowed menu that it is 1.4
    This version is Wolves of the Pacific
    Last edited by EricFeuerlein; 07-21-2012 at 01:43 AM.

You could try uninstalling using the Dvd uninstall and tell it you want to delete everything.
    Then install it again but do not do anything with the updater/installer.

Try running the game in version 1.1 or what ever version the Dvd is. If this works then download the 1.4 patch here.
    You only have to download the 1.4 patch because it contains all the previous versions.
    Then try running it.

"When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the *** with a banjo" by Chief Officer Steward Dogan - USS Gurnard.
    -------------
    SHIV Guide - TMOwTw 2.5 - Shipping Route Maps US & Jap - TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5 - SH4 Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Yooperbacker View Post
    You could try uninstalling using the Dvd uninstall and tell it you want to delete everything.
    Then install it again but do not do anything with the updater/installer.

Try running the game in version 1.1 or what ever version the Dvd is. If this works then download the 1.4 patch here.
    You only have to download the 1.4 patch because it contains all the previous versions.
    Then try running it.
    Don't see why that would work. This was an install on a PC I never had it installed on before. Is there no editable configuration file anywhere where I can specify that it should go full screen?
    Last edited by DKDiveDude; 07-21-2012 at 02:41 PM.