Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Sands Offline Mode Broken with New Uplay Launcher | Forums

Forgotten Sands Offline Mode Broken with New Uplay Launcher

UPDATE: PoP Forgotten Sands now works in offline mode on steam properly

Although the new UPlay launcher WILL load into offline mode, when you launch Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands, it will NOT let you play the game offline. This is the only thing you see when the game launches: "Attempting to restore network connection. The game will resume once the connection has been re-established."

You cannot circumvent it with a disabled network. You cannot get around it either by putting the Uplay launcher into offline mode. Even though the Uplay launcher starts in offline mode correctly, the game will NOT play in offline mode.

I have already activated the game the first time in online mode. I am able to play IF the Uplay launcher is in ONline mode only (I login with my info and everything). Oddly, Assassin's Creed Brotherhood still works offline with the same Uplay launcher, just NOT Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands. My guess is it's a problem with the new Uplay launcher. It does technically launch Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands a second time, and it's this second launch from Uplay that's not correctly going into offline mode for Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands
    Last edited by Fendolis; 09-02-2012 at 12:01 PM. Reason: Problem Fixed
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

same problem. I hate UBI's pathetic ineffectual nonsense to try and stop piracy.

Piracy stil happens, you just make us customers hate you UBISOFT. To need an internet connection is crap, and Im sick of this type of ****. **** YOU GREEDY PARANOID CONTROL FREAK JAGOFFS!

It can be very frustrating to deal with these issues, especially when the pirates don't have to deal with this stuff I suppose in some ways I feel mislead by the comments in various places that the online requirement was gone, and that I should not have bought the game.

However, this is why I have posted in the official forums. I really do believe and hope that the engineers and reps at Ubisoft will rectify the situation using our experiences as troubleshooting jumping off points. Since offline mode worked in the past, I assume the fix would be a simple one of allowing the new launcher to recognize and start PoP Forgotten Sands in offline mode.

i doubt very much it will ever happen: pop sot has a drm where part of the code is on the server, so to do some actions the game ask the server some piece of coding which is then used in game to make the real action. so this kind of drm CANT work offline because part of the game code is server side.
    also, since it was an in-house DRM, i doubt they spent some time to make proper code which can be switched offline easily, so the probability of them to take some time to patch the game to remove the drm is unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by jeje_71 View Post
    i doubt very much it will ever happen: pop sot has a drm where part of the code is on the server, so to do some actions the game ask the server some piece of coding which is then used in game to make the real action. so this kind of drm CANT work offline because part of the game code is server side.
    also, since it was an in-house DRM, i doubt they spent some time to make proper code which can be switched offline easily, so the probability of them to take some time to patch the game to remove the drm is unlikely.
    It was true when the game was launched in 2010, that a constant internet connection was required. Luckily this was later changed and they allowed this game to be played in offline mode but then the new Uplay launcher was released (on July 4th I think). For a time (after the game had been out for a while), people were able to play Forgotten Sands without a constant internet connection. The only recent major change has been the new Uplay launcher. I believe that it is a matter of allowing the new Uplay launcher to start Forgotten Sands in offline mode (when the launcher is started in offline mode of course). Ubisoft has allowed offline mode for this specific game in the past, so I would imagine the current lack of offline mode is a bug, not a design feature.
    Last edited by Fendolis; 07-25-2012 at 08:51 AM.

Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands can be played in offline mode. The only two games that require you to be online are Settlers 7 and Hawx 2, and are simply greyed out when the Uplay client is in offline mode. So, you're right, Fendolis, the error you are getting is not meant to happen.

I just gave it a try myself with a copy of Prince of Persia downloaded directly within Uplay and I had no trouble playing it in offline mode. Have you tried uninstalling the game and re-downloading it from Uplay PC already?

Otherwise, I can only recommend that you contact Support via http://support.ubi.com so that they can look into the specifics of your issue with you. I hope we can get this sorted soon with you.
    Uplay Community Developer
    Facebook
    / Google+ / Support

I downloaded and installed the game through Steam. Since the steam version uses the Uplay launcher I would assume it is the same as downloading directly from Uplay launcher itself. If not, that may be something the Uplay guys need to work out with the current Steam version.

Perhaps the new Uplay launcher is not properly patching the steam version, because my version of Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands shows as 1.00 whenever the game loads in online mode. I assume there have been patches, so this actually may be the culprit if the steam version of PoP FoS is stuck at 1.00 version.

Edit: I also tried to see if it would be possible to download through Uplay PC as well, but Forgotten Sands doesn't show. It must be because they were purchased through Steam. This may be more evidence to confirm that the Steam versions up need to be configured to work better with the new Uplay launcher (seeing as the Steam version of Forgotten Sands is still at 1.00).
    Last edited by Fendolis; 08-06-2012 at 04:55 PM.

Thanks for the additional details Fendolis. I'll make sure this is investigated for the Steam version too.
    Uplay Community Developer
    Facebook
    / Google+ / Support

I checked again to see if this was resolved with the new Uplay update. I was hopeful whenever I saw that "steam launch" was specifically mentioned.
    Unfortunately, Forgotten Sands still cannot launch in offline mode on Steam. The version still shows up as 1.00 as well upon startup in online mode, so I don't know if this potential fix didn't stick.

YAY!!! Thank you guys very much for getting this fixed
    Prince of Persia Forgotten Sands now plays in offline mode on steam.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast