OK, the whole reinstall thing actually worked. Here's how.
1. uninstalled through Uplay (yes, evem though I installed it through Gamestop).
2. Went to my D drive where homam was installed, noticed it was still there in full (lol)
3. deleted the WHOLE FOLDER
4. noticed on unistall list (windows 7, basic uninstall list) that the ubisoft game launcher had its own entry...uninstalled it
5. uninstalled Uplay
6 had already backed up my saved games, had found them, see other threads...searched for and deleted every shred or Uplay, UBISOFT or HOMAM 6
7. pondered just leaving all shreds of UIBISOFT off my compter, but decided I LOVE this game (as evidenced by constant work to get it to work since Tuesday), so steeled myself and continued
8. Searched for Uplay on INternet, found home page. Installed UPLAY all by itself
9. Installed HOMAM 6 through Uplay client
10. Started the god awful patching process. Install patch no problem, game tried to start, got stuck in "game running" in Uplay after patching so had to kill Uplay to stop it.
11 installed like...7 patches? Lots of small ones from 1.1 to 1.1.1
12. Finally, the moment ot truth!!! Checked to make sure all of my save games were in my save game folder (in documents folder of <username> in Win 7).
13. Started game, engaged, game started, black screen..awaited for an image..nope. My whole computer froze, though luckily I could Ctl-Alt-Delete, though nothing else. Killed homam 6
14 tried again. Same thing.
15. Stopped trying to start the game through Uplay, and instead, started through the Heroes of Might and Magic VI.exe command from within the folder (d:/games/HOMMAM on my computer but wherever you installed it)
16. This brought up the patching of the launcher screen. You know, the one that came up juuust as the new Uplay was about to appear on my computer and lock me out of my own game. Still, good news.
17. started game from within the newly patched Uplay client.
18. Watched opening video, love it...logged into conflux. Checked save games, all there.
19. Left for the weekend getaway...
At its very mildest, I don't think I can be arsed to do this much work to get a game running. I'm lucky I haven't run into the issue myself. Yet.
Originally Posted by Mhantra
But if I do, I don't think I'll go through this kind of hell just to get a single game running.
Unless it gets patched into the high heavens and it becomes a shining example of gameplay and awesome.
And maybe cats will fly out of my arse and carry me to the moon.
Yoou shouldnt have had to do any of that. Not for a game your spent 60 dollars on months ago. Dear ubisoft your not EA, quit it already....
Ok, I re-installed the vcredist_x86 file that came with the disc and hey presto worked straight off. No un-installing/re-installing.
Hope this works for others.
Finally back to HOMM6.
As others reported, was not simple to get the game re-installed and working.
1. Uninstall through GameStop app (this was the easy step)
2. Download through Uplay (several hours for 6 GB)
3. Install through Uplay (errored out at end of process at least a dozen times)
I had the Vista error (Internal - failed to register into Game Explorer) - have to set the setup.exe to Windows98 compatibile as described elsewhere on forum
4. Update from original to 1.4 (this was monotonous, but no problems and fairly quick)
5. My save games were still there! (appears many others have had problems with that part, but Uplay sync worked fine in my case)
I really like all the Heroes games - and starting to get into VI, but a week of being locked out and hassle to restart is not pleasant!
My friend has retail, any way I/we can figure to help him?
And WHERE is Ubi in replying to all this?????
I got a quick response (24 hours) when I logged a ticket. Definitely have your friend log a ticket with Ubi support.
Originally Posted by Mantra49
Well? What did they say about the problem when they responded in 24 hours please? I'm dying to know because they sure as heck are not posting info on the forums that I can see.
Bump for justice.
Still not playable. After game report just pops up and nothing else.
Yes, I can't beleive they have not fixed this yet. My friend gave up and wrote to Support; they said to uninstal, and then install using Uplay. But he has Retail, so what then?
This is crazy they let this happen.