Thread: [Mac] can't install on iMac OS X 10.7.3 PowerPC no longer supported | Forums

[Mac] can't install on iMac OS X 10.7.3 PowerPC no longer supported

Just got an iMac, running OS X 10.7.3. When I try to install I get "PowerPC applications are no longer supported".
    I was able to run this on my Windows 7 PC, but it ran poorly. I was rather hoping it would work on a Mac. Any tricks for getting this installed?
    I checked a few threads in the forum, but didn't find an answer that would work yet. Thanks.
    Last edited by Heimdall_G; 06-29-2012 at 08:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Hi, Myst V is supported for Windows 2000/XP (ONLY) you may be able to dual boot your iMac.
    Ubisoft Community Manager

Technical Support
    Twitter Support
    Facebook Support

Angry Incompatibility

fwhankey,

Myst V was released in 2005, long before Apple switched from the PowerPC (IBM) to the Intel CPU. The instruction sets are different, and in order for a Mac to run an app (i.e. play a game) on both types of hardware, the application has to be written in "Universal Binary." In addition, the change from Mac OS X Tiger (versions 10.4.x) to the later versions is very significant.

Whereas Microsoft has always tried to provide backward compatibility from its latest OS using their "Program Compatibility" feature, Apple has never done this. The one exception was providing their sub-operating system "Classic" which would run old Mac programs under as late a Mac OS as 10.4.11, but was dropped with v 10.5 (Leopard).

Your best bet to run Myst V would be to try and run "Boot Camp" or "Parallels" plus a Windows OS in emulation mode (if 10.7.3 even supports that!).
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into one of those emulations. I've been running MS OSs since my first PC in 88, in no small part because of the backwards compatibility. They've strayed from that with Win7, at least that's been my experience. I tried going the emulation route on Win7 which was a painful exercise in futility. Which is why I'm giving Apple a try.

Just to be fair, Apple has provided backwards compatibility for PowerPC programs up to OS X 10.6.8 (through its Rosetta emulation software), but only for programs that are Mac OS X compatible (which is pretty much everything since 2001!).

The Mac version of Myst V will run perfectly well on any Intel Mac running OS X 10.6.8 or earlier.

As an alternative to getting a Windows emulator, why don't you just get a copy of Snow Leopard (OS X 10.6)?
    It's still available from the online Apple Store (NOT the Mac App Store!).

All you need to do then is create another partition on your iMac (using Disk Utility), install Snow Leopard on that partition, then install Myst V there.

You'll need help installing the game, but my Myst V Mac Installer can help you there.

UPDATE SEPT 2013: Please check out this Apple Discussion article to determine if your Mac is capable of running Snow Leopard on a partition. If not, you may have the option of running it inside a virtualization program (such as Parallels, Fusion, or VirtualBox)… you'll find a link inside the article.
    Last edited by bruman54; 09-10-2013 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Added guide for Snow Leopard compatibility with Macs

Just to be fair, Apple has provided backwards compatibility for PowerPC programs up to OS X 10.6.8 (through its Rosetta emulation software),
    Forgot that... no expert here! Apparently Rosetta was introduced at v 10.4.4 of Mac OS X; I have never seen this even after updating v 10.4 to v 10.4.11 using Apple's "Combo Update," but then I don't have an Intel Mac.
    -------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

Hey, no problem!... Rosetta only applies to Intel Mac versions of Mac OS X (sadly, discontinued from 10.7). It was never included (or needed) in PowerPC versions.
    Last edited by bruman54; 07-02-2012 at 11:19 AM.