Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Seether Bass | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

I don't blame you CrazedRacer for hating me, I would have hated myself too if I wasn't there! I was 8-10 feet from Shaun with an unobstructed view, and it was absolutely mind blowing! It was a really weird deal, as Seether is opening with Bush and My Darkest Days for Nickelback. There was a one day break between shows and for whatever reason they came to one of our little local clubs 6-8 hundred people to play. Couldn't believe it! Maybe they wanted to be the main attraction for a change?? So after seeing that there is a whole lot more to the bass guitar than I ever thought, if someone who had never played either type of guitar, which would be the easiest for a beginner to learn? Thanks.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

As C.Linton said, the only thing that is similar is that they are tuned alike and have strings. (Well, if you have a 6 string, the highest string is a C, not B like guitar. Bass is tuned in 4ths, so it's more like violin or cello for tuning.)

As a bassist, you will play counter-melodies, lay down in the groove, find the places in the music where you fit, and you will suddenly learn how to have a 'musical conversation.' Sure, there are plenty of popular songs where the bass lines are nothing but root, root-five, or root-five-octave all day; and those can be fun to play. But like any instrument where you start with the basics, you will one day want to play more complicated music. That's when you'll start riffing and finding places to make the bass lines a part of the song that becomes memorable and drives the song rather than just playing a supporting role.

Think of bassists like John Deacon, Geddy Lee, Chris Squire (Yes), Roger Waters (Pink Floyd), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden), and Sir Paul McCartney. Each of them has been a force in his own right within his style of music, but the one thing they each have in common is that they each play to serve the song, not their ego. Remember that whenever you play any instrument, and you'll be much more important to the music.

Quote Originally Posted by toymachinesh View Post

?
    You know, that's exactly what I think whenever someone mentions Seether. I honestly have (had?) no idea they were a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel_Nirvana View Post
    You know, that's exactly what I think whenever someone mentions Seether. I honestly have (had?) no idea they were a band.
    I'm envious of that

No offense to people that like them *runs*

Quote Originally Posted by FragDaddy34 View Post
    So after seeing that there is a whole lot more to the bass guitar than I ever thought, if someone who had never played either type of guitar, which would be the easiest for a beginner to learn? Thanks.
    I personally found it much easier to get decent at bass with the basics than I ever did with guitar. I hit the wall PRS_Rocker mentiond. About wanting to play things more complicated and really start impacting the song but I was at a place where I couldn't take lessons, didn't have anybody to gleen from and didn't know where to go resourse wise. then Rocksmith came out and for personal reasons, I stepped away from the worship band at church that I was playing with and put my bass down and picked up my guitar for the first time in like 4 years. I've been enjoying it a lot but this thread has brought out the bassist that is deep inside me. Need to start slappin that bass again and not wait for the DLC. If you want to play some bass, check out www.studybass.com. It's a pretty good site to check out and it's free. I need spend some time there myself.....

I'm envious of that

I take it they're one of those metalcore deathbunny angryangst kind of bands?

just really generic stuff I can go without ever hearing.

I'm envious of that

Not everyone has the same tastes...

They are my favorite current band. All time favorite 3 artists would be Seether, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers and Jimmy Buffett. I know. It's a weird list.

Steel_Nirvana - they're post grunge... So they're somewhat like Nirvana, but still enough different that I really like them. Shaun is an amazing writer - and that's what resonated with me when I started listening... Try "Pass Slowly", "Forsaken" or "Here and Now" off the new album... Or "No Jesus Christ" or "Remedy" from previous albums... The new album is really cool... Some of the songs (Forsaken, Pass Slowly - about his brother, who committed suicide a few years back)) are very theatrical to me - really large sounding songs... I don't know. I'm just a HUGE Seether fan...

I take it they're one of those metalcore deathbunny angryangst kind of bands?
    Not sure what that genre is, so not sure if Seether would fall into it. They are my sons' favorite band of all time, and when he asked me to go with him instead of one of his friends, I was thrilled to say the least. It was a great father son thing. From what I've heard when my son plays their stuff, I like about half of it and love 3 or 4 of their songs. Just bought us some front row seats to Neil Young at a small venue yesterday, and we are really looking forward to that as well. Saw him two years ago, and I swear that man didn't rock that hard 30 years ago!! Thanks Pancho for that link, looks like a great place to start. Not sure if everyone has the chain of stores called '99 dollar guitar'?? Went into mine yesterday and they want $169.00 for a new bass guitar, and said I could use my little amp if I didn't play it too loud. So who knows, may give it a try when RS comes out with it and see if I'm more of a 'natural' with a bass guitar as opposed to a regular one.

Quote Originally Posted by FragDaddy34 View Post
    Not sure what that genre is, so not sure if Seether would fall into it. They are my sons' favorite band of all time, and when he asked me to go with him instead of one of his friends, I was thrilled to say the least. It was a great father son thing.
    Nice... I had Chris Kael telling me to bring my son to a 5 Finger Death Punch show a couple of months ago, but he's only 3 and a half, so I decided against it Gotta enjoy those father son times as they come. I remember buying tickets to Steelers games when I was 16 or 17 and my dad taking me on the 8 hour trek to Pittsburgh to go there. I wondered if it was too much hassle. Now, I treasure those times that we sat in the wind and swirling show and watched those games. I certainly don't think he'd trade the $200 hotel room or the dinner bills for the time we spent hanging out.

I was tempted last week when I saw that Jackson Browne was coming to Richmond on his acoustic tour this month. Tickets are just so darn expensive. I like going to the local clubs that get about $30 to $35 a ticket (that's what I've paid for Shinedown, etc.). The Browne show is $80 a ticket... Not sure it's worth that to see 3 or 4 songs that I really love, versus saving that and getting a new guitar later or something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast