Thread: Taking a break... | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Taking a break...

...to play some real songs. Gotta work on my parts for these tunes:

What You Know – Two Door Cinema Club
    Get What You Give – New Radicals
    You Don't Know You're Beautiful – One Direction
    Boys are Back in Town – Thin Lizzy
    Refugee – Tom Petty
    Who Are You – The Who
    The Real Me – The Who
    Interstate Love Song - STP
    One – U2
    If You Could Only See – Tonic
    Second Chance – Shinedown
    Crazy Little Thing Called Love – Queen

Too bad the last song wasn't in RS, I could have used the help. I know some replies already: Boy band stuff and classic rock? We do our own thing, so I have to learn how they play it on their CD's, then I break down the chord progressions, rhythms, etc and come up with a new way to present the songs in a rock venue. Since I sing all but the STP song, I sometimes have to tweak the key, although all these are right in my wheel-house. I do bring "Boys are Back in Town" to A to make the chords easier to play. The only tough one is "Who Are You", because I sing the lead and part of the harmonies. I really need to use my Voicelive Play to loop that. Problem is, unless you're playing to a tick track, the timing rarely stays exact enough to use a looper. We do have a track for the keyboard intro, but I'm thinking of playing that on my iPad in Garage Band.

Keep rockin' dudes and dudettes.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

The Boys Are Back in Town and Interstate Love Song are on my play list.

Good luck, and have fun!!!

If ya get any videos of yours, put 'em up.

A couple of years ago and about 60lbs heavier.

Last edited by rcole_sooner; 06-14-2012 at 03:11 PM.

For U2 - One check out this video. This is one of my favorite You Tube videos. (it's not me of course)

Oh, and I'm working on easier songs.

U2 - I will follow
    The Breeders - Cannonball
    Last edited by Duggle-SD; 06-14-2012 at 03:57 PM.

That is a cool video. I didn't realize that was One (I never listened to much U2). One is on my playlist, it is on the list I play with my wife, she likes that song. Also Mysterious Ways, is on that list. I don't play it very often, so I didn't make the connection, until I heard that video.

I get to use my Rotovibe on One, and I like that.

I'm working on creating me a backtrack for With or Without you. Darn it is hard to get controlled feedback for the beginning of the song without an eBow!

Banned
    What you know by Two Door Cinema club is a fun song to play on JamGuru

I have 2 weeks coming up where my son will be in West Virginia. I'm going to subscribe to Songsterr for a month to try it out. I played the demo last night and I think I'll be able to learn at near RS speeds with it. Something about how the tab scrolls is easy for me to pick up... I should be learning some country, because vocally, I can handle most of it, but I like rock too much not to play it, so I'm going to work on some Seether, Three Days Grace and Shinedown for the next 2 weeks...

Thin Lizzy mostly used that E-flat tuning, so I think playing "The Boys" in A is the right way to go. That song has been on my set list for decades. I have a video from a Phil Lynott tribute gig back in the late 80's lying around somewhere. If I ever find it I might consider digitizing it and posting it.

It sounds like you are on top of it, but if you have any questions on this song, feel free to PM me. Having said that, I would have said that about "Sweet Home Alabama" and " Message in a Bottle", but according to Rocksmith I have been playing them both wrong for years. The worst part is, I think they are right. I tend to pick out other parts (guitar, bass, keyboards, drum rhythms) and end up playing some sort of hybrid mix.

Come to think of it, U2 drops down a semi-tone on a lot of their songs too, so watch out for that. Not sure about "One". Never played it before.

Anyway, good luck with the set list and please keep us posted on how it is going.

Thanks everybody... @ rcole_sooner, How'd you lose all that weight? I need to do the same. IM me your secret, bro.

@ pick_pocket, yeah, I move Thin Lizzy to standard and play in A. I'm not tuning down for one song, and I'm not playing without that open A power chord. One is in Standard tuning. Am. I know what you mean about putting your own spin on these tunes. Whenever I'm doing a solo gig, I may move the chords to make them easier on another guitar (e.g. acoustic) or to make them fuller and keep open notes while I'm doing a solo.

@ DreamAwake, since I sing lead, I'm playing the chords with a capo at the 9th fret verses the riffing on the B and E strings. I can do it, but it's easier to play the chords. It's a fun song for sure.

I was surprised at how oddly the chords change in "You Get What You Give" by the Young Rascals. The timing of the vocals and chord changes feel weird. Never tried to play it before, so I never thought it would be this strange. :^)

When you play with a band, your choices of chords and single notes matter a lot more. You don't want to sound a-tonic unless you're a punk band. :^)