Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need New Guitar Advice | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Need New Guitar Advice

I need to buy a new guitar in the next couple of weeks, but I'm looking for a special beast and need some advice from the veterans in the group. Specifically, I'm going to be away from home for a while, and logging tens of thousands of air miles.... So taking my Gibson isn't really an option.

I'm thinking of getting either one of these (http://www.strobelguitars.com/ramble...ic-guitar.html)

or one of these (http://www.travelerguitar.com/produc...ight-electric/)

Anybody have experience with either, or any suggestions for alternatives that would be easy to lug around the world with tons of other gear?

I have to admit I'm leaning toward the Strobel, just for sheer visual appeal....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

oh wow. that looks like something my high school buddy did in his basement, he built his own. I assume you are looking for something compact? just know you will lose a lot of tone with something that tiny, heck a guitar is all about the vibration through the body, in my opinion, take it as you will. I am no veteran, but theres my 2 cents...

Thanks! Yeah, I need something small, preferably one I can take as a carry-on.

Travel guitars are a great idea. I'm not crazy about the Strobel's, because the strings go at such an angle to the tuners. If I was going to go compact, I would probably get a Steinberger Synapse or Spirit. The Spirit is priced even lower than many of the travel guitars at $400. Why do I recommend that? Because it will be a useful gigging guitar that you may want to keep in the future. I have a lot of friends who absolutely love their Steinbergers. The only reason I didn't fall in love with them is because I could never find my place by feel on ANY headless guitars, and that includes the travel guitars. I just carried my Strat in an airline safe case. That said, I know a lot of people who travel with the Steinbergers and I just wish I could get the feel of one myself.

Randomly I played one of those travler guitars yesterday for the first time. Someone at work had one, so I just played it for about 2 mins. I wasn't really impressed, part of the issue was the action seemed high, on it, and the guy had a pretty heavy guage string set on it (it played more like an accoustic than an electric). Also it just didn't sound that solid, but I'm used to the LP tone, so it's probably innevitable that it will not sound quite as good.

I haven't really played with that many travel guitars, so I don't know what the bar is for what is 'good' at that price.

Steel, I don't want you to get the wrong feeling from my post. I played a Steinberger for a while in the 80's and it had great tone through an amp and played great. It's just that I normally front my bands and I have to have a guitar that I can play without looking at the neck. That's why I gave it up. It played great, it had wonderful tone, and I could really rip on it. Never got that from the travel guitars. I tried a couple Strobels a while ago (had to be a few years or more now), and I wasn't impressed. It was a wanna-be Steinberger for sure. They just changed the way the strings went to the tuning pegs. It was not as good, but that's in my opinion. Good luck, SN.

Thanks for the help--all opinions welcome! I'd love to bring my real guitar, but...

guess who's the only US carrier that can get me where I need to go? Yeah. And hard case or no, I'm not about to trust my limited edition Gibson to an airline for 7,000 miles of abuse each way.

if all youre worried about is breaking and not space why not get an epiphone or something that way you have a full size guitar with great tone set up how you want it and just not nearly as expensive or sentimental compared to your gibson

did you see the book? Yes, it's real, and you can buy it at Barnes and Noble. I saw that song a couple years ago and laughed my **** off. Can't remember what TV show it was on.

Yeah, I read his story in the news, and how he tried and tried to resolve his claim, then finally told United they left him no choice but to make a YouTube music video describing his experience, and one of their muckety-mucks told him to go for it. And the rest is history...I heard Taylor gave him a new guitar free to use.

@BcrichASM1--it's not all about the expense. I've got tons of gear I have to haul all over creation, and don't want to deal with a full-size guitar. Plus, I can take a small one as my carry-on and not have to worry about a normal one getting broken. If it gets broken in transit, I'm kind of screwed, since I won't be able to replace it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast