Thread: How to play Online Multiplayer | Forums

Angry How to play Online Multiplayer

About a dozen of us purchased this game, and a new joystick.

We can't seem to figure out how to play online.

I submitted a question to Ubisoft Support forum, and they
    said we can't play online anymore.

What the heck!!?? Are they serious? Or did I get the
    worst support rep to answer my question?

Please, if someone is playing online, help us out.

I'm in the US (along with some others), but the other guys are in the UK,
    and some in Australia. So playing on a LAN is out.

Thanks,
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by RAW5niper View Post
    What the heck!!?? Are they serious? Or did I get the
    worst support rep to answer my question?
    Probably not the worst support tech, but rather one confused by the multiple versions of a game that doesn't have a big user base and thus he doesn't have to deal with it much. The official name for nearly all versions starts IL2 Sturmovik:.... so they're easy to confuse. What probably happened is that he though you were referring to the original IL2 Sturmovik from 2001 or IL2 Forgotten Battles, both of which Ubisoft ran a dedicated server for. The Ubisoft run dedicated server and game lobby for IL2 have been down/unsupported since around 2005 or 2006.

IL2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover is available online via the native in game menus. In game go to Multiplayer > Client menu selection to see a list of currently running servers.
    If the list doesn't populate, go to Multiplayer > Server and start a server. Get in to any mission and let it run for a minute or two then go back to the client option and you should see a list of at least a dozen servers.

IL2 Sturmovik: 1946 and earlier versions are no longer supported by Ubi.com game service where they were originally hosted, however the 3rd party game services XFire and Hyperlobby both support game matching in IL2:1946. There may also be some other more obscure services that also provide game matching for 1946. You must use the game matching service to start the server and to join the server, the in game menus wont work.

With all versions, you can skip the game matching services altogether and join by direct connection using the server IP address. Whichever version you're using, this is done using the in game menus. For Cliffs of Dover, go to Multiplayer > Client then click the Direct Connect button in the lower right corner. For IL2 Sturmovik: 1946 go to Muliplayer > Join Server

Whatever the method, the clients must all be on the same version as the server or they will not be able to join the game.
    Last edited by Tully__; 06-02-2012 at 08:28 AM.

Ah! Ok. But here's the problem we seem to be having.
    We can sometimes connect to one of the servers listed there.

But when we try to create our own, like you mention above, they can't join.
    They get a message from steam saying server not responding.

If they create one, and I try to connect, we get the same thing. Oh, and btw,
    when we create one, it does not show up on that list.

And if we create one, I'm assuming it's a local ip address. we are not in the
    same house, or even in the same part of the world.

is there anywhere you know of where one can still get a dedicated server for this game?

And since we can't find the server we create on that list, the only way we can even try to connect to each other's server
    is via Steam (join game) from a friend. And that's when we get the "server not responding" message.

That sounds like maybe your firewall(s) or router(s) are not set to allow Cliffs of Dover to act as host. You would need to have a firewall rule for launcher.exe that allows incoming connection requests if memory serves correctly. The router will need to allow TCP and UDP traffic in both directions for the port CoD uses for hosting. I believe this is port 27015, however you can change it in ...\Steam\steamapps\common\il-2 sturmovik cliffs of dover\conf.ini You'll find the port listed in the [NET] section of conf.ini as localPort=27015
    You can test this fairly easily. One of you find your external IP address (easiest way is to go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and it will tell you) then start a server. The others can try to join by direct connect using the IP the host found. If you're still getting "cannot find server" or "server not responding" or "connection timeout" type errors, it's almost certainly a firewall or port forwarding problem.

Multyplayer

Are there still many people playing this game online i really want to get it but dont want to find when i try yto play online there is no one online nowadays . also does it run as a standalone game as i have lost my old il2 installation disk . many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uk_drac View Post
    Are there still many people playing this game online i really want to get it but dont want to find when i try yto play online there is no one online nowadays . also does it run as a standalone game as i have lost my old il2 installation disk . many thanks
    Numbers vary, but there is an online community. Currently most seem to be using the beta patch version available from 1C:Maddox' site. Once the patch is made final, your game will automatically update to that version.

You do not require the old IL2, this game is a completely new game engine and not compatible as a merge.

I am sorry bad hear about that. ? No perfect why they made for.....SAD FOREVER! We need Japanesse smart computer help for USA . lol