Thread: not responding? | Forums

not responding?

Hi all,

i've been playing SH4 for about 6 months on my laptop. recently when i try to load my saved game it's just freezing at "please wait".
    on task manager it is saying "not responding".

i did a compatability check which i read and its saying its not compatible??

totally lost.

can anyone help??

thanks

Perhaps the save is corrupted. My experience with corrupted saves is that they produce a Crash to Desktop. That's why I always keep 5. Corrupted saves are associated with lots of traffic - especially large numbers of enemy ships and aircraft.

Try starting a new game and see what happens. If you are able to bring up the game, consider maintaining a number of saves in the future.

This topic has been much discussed in the past. The conclusion is: Multiple over-right saves produce corrupted saves. Some people have had trouble while saving with a convoy in the area, the sub under water, during battle, close to land.
    The solution is: Make a master save every time you are in port. When you do save out of port, try to save when in clear weather, on the surface, no land or ships nearby. Make a new save file every time. I just use my name for the master save, then each subsequent save, I use my name and add a number(xxx, xxx1, xxx2, etc.). I haven't had any trouble since I started using this system.

Hello AndyConnor,

One thing to check is to go to your desktop SH4 icon you use to start the game. Right click it and go to Properties. Look and see if the game is starting with gu.exe or sh4.exe. If it is starting with gu.exe you should change it to sh4.exe. This may help you with your saved games.

If you have trouble loading a saved game you could try loading another save and while playing, stop the game and go to the Saved game menu and try loading the save you had trouble with and see if it will work then.

Saving with a different save name as fireftr18 suggested is a good idea to

Same issue with me. Went on a business trip and when I came back the "game stopped working" started showing up. They were clean saves and not overwrites. At first I was able to get back into game by opening the training missions and from there doing a load save game which worked. Now that no longer works and saves that loaded before will not open. Have over 10 clean saves (don't know the game status at each one of them) and can not get any to open. Big disappointment

What version of SH4 do you have? I know this was a problem before. Have you looked in past post for any hints on what to do?
    I never had this problem with my SH4 but others had.

Knowing the version will help. You can find your version on the main page, bottom right.

Have been diligently renaming each game and deleting excess previous games (being aware CD is already fully loaded). Had similar problem with crashing earlier but got around that by going back to school. Now however I have a new problem. Click on desktop icon and green 'option' screen comes up, click on highlighted PLAY but - zero.
    Have checkedCD drive -it is working on all other disks - even checked driver for updates but all o.k. The disk has only been used for about 2 months and am in Jan 1945 on career.

Any solutions please. Pity - such a good game but so many disk problems - if it is installed o main drive why does it have to start from disk?

Quote Originally Posted by daimauwr View Post
    Have been diligently renaming each game and deleting excess previous games (being aware CD is already fully loaded). Had similar problem with crashing earlier but got around that by going back to school. Now however I have a new problem. Click on desktop icon and green 'option' screen comes up, click on highlighted PLAY but - zero.
    Have checkedCD drive -it is working on all other disks - even checked driver for updates but all o.k. The disk has only been used for about 2 months and am in Jan 1945 on career.

Any solutions please. Pity - such a good game but so many disk problems - if it is installed o main drive why does it have to start from disk?

If you have v1.4 or 1.5 of SH4 you should be able to play without the disk in the drive.

Well it seems I am v1.2. How does one upgrade to v1.4 or 1.5? And does an upgrade overwrite exisiting carrer campaigns.?

Quote Originally Posted by daimauwr View Post
    Well it seems I am v1.2. How does one upgrade to v1.4 or 1.5? And does an upgrade overwrite exisiting carrer campaigns.?

You can find v1.4 patch here. Any existing Career Campaigns you have with v1.2 will not work with v1.4.

Something else to consider. V1.5 is the final version of the game and the most stable. V1.5 called SH: The Gold Edition is the version that works with about 95% of the current mods available for SH4. It might suit you better to get The Gold Edition instead of patching your game up to v1.4. To find v1.5 scroll down the page a bot on the link given.