Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MP: Smoke from Smoke Grenades... I see it. You don't. | Forums

MP: Smoke from Smoke Grenades... I see it. You don't.

It happened quite often to me by now, that I am behind a think wall of smoke and get killed by aimed fire, because the enemy did not see the smoke.
    No detection, no OTR, no Thermal Scope, no spray-n-pray. I myself was not shooting. The killcams clearly showed how the aim was readjusted onto my position, albeit there was no sign of the smoke in front of me.
    The enemies were almost exclusively Riflemen, so Thermal or OTR is out of the question, I was not detected and the killcams showed no red outline. Each time the enemies deliberately readjusted their aim on me, seeing me clear as day, while I was not shooting myself to give away my position.
    About half of the time, it happened from afar, and the smoke was simply not there.
    The other half, it looked like the smoke was there but not where it should be, as if the Smoke Grenade had detonated somewhere else or a few seconds later than on my screen.

First time, I though it was a killcam bug. Second time, yeah, okay. But by the 10th time, it got really annoying. What's the point of the smoke, if it just vanishes for the other team at a certain distance?

I guess it might be lag-related, God knows, 8 out of 10 games the connections are still suffering badly, but maybe it's draw distance or just bad coding.

Either way, it's incredibly annoying.

That happen to anybody else?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Yup. I've already posted comments in regards to the smoke. It's a 2 on a scale of 20. I can't say Ubi doesn't care or completely not listen, because they've addressed quite a few problems I've noticed.
    But this should have been an easy fix.
    As I already mentioned in other posts, the smoke screens are extremely sub-generic, something resembling graphics from a PS2. COD, BF, GOW and ME are all modern shooters and have normal smoke screens.
    I doubt it's the lag, because I've noticed the same thing literally 2 matches ago. Even giving the smoke ample time to rise, I still had a sniper shoot right threw it without a thermal scope, and I'm a Scout fully camo'd. In the beginning of the replay, it showed the grenade just detonating when the smoke should have already shown being fully arisen. Draw distance? Not at that range. Horrible!
    I was so excited anticipating release, but Ghost Recon Future Soldier is extremely disappointing, and I wish developers had to answer for distributing sub-par material. But at least the multiplayer is keeping me entertained. I was extremely bored in Guerilla mode and afraid to even start the campaign because of such horrible graphics and sticky gameplay. There's no reason why this game should have antiquated graphics, objects with square edges and horrible textures like a Nintendo Wii.
    Horrible servers!

It's not the smoke. There is visual feedback that lets you know when you are aiming at someone. Try aiming at someone when they are lit red but behind a wall. Also, sometimes people just fire into smoke.
    Looking for GR:FS team players on XBox. Gamer Tag: ProfSirEbral

Send me a message with "Ghost Recon" or "GR:FS" in it so I know what you want.

Another thing I should point out about smoke. I can see your barrel blast when you are firing. With that I know where to aim. If you have a tight team and want to use smoke ... I would suggest adding the flash suppressor muzzle which reduces the visibility of your barrel blast. An LMG gunning the hell out of a smoky would be a good tactic to employ.

Which is why I explicitly said I was NOT DETECTED, NOT SHOOTING, and the enemy DELIBERATELY AIMED at me. Not firing random shots into the smoke or panning the reticule across smokey ground.
    Oh, and in case you missed it, THERE CLEARLY WAS NO SMOKE IN HIS VISION, while I was standing in a cloud of smoke.

Did that slip by, somehow?

Hmmm when I shoot into smoke, I press the aim button and wander around the smoke looking for my crosshairs to turn orange then when it does...I aim down the scope then shoot usually its rape...the crosshairs allows you to find people in the smoke.
    NVM you said there is no smoke in kill cam well it might be a glitch but I wouldnt trust the kill cam either..kill cam is usually more wrong.

There are several reasons this happens. If you throw a smoke grenade that hits a team mate and bounces off, due to lag there's a good chance someone else might see the smoke grenade in a different spot.

Also, the particle system which creates smoke might always occur at the exact same rotation, so let's say it always begins thicker to the left of the spot thrown. That would mean that based on where you're facing it might look different to you.

Quote Originally Posted by P4NCH0theD0G View Post
    Which is why I explicitly said I was NOT DETECTED, NOT SHOOTING, and the enemy DELIBERATELY AIMED at me. Not firing random shots into the smoke or panning the reticule across smokey ground.
    Oh, and in case you missed it, THERE CLEARLY WAS NO SMOKE IN HIS VISION, while I was standing in a cloud of smoke.

I think the kill cam does not show smoke. It is very laggy and not a very good tool to use for anything other than pinpointing the person firing on you. Cross hairs turn orange regardless of the target being detected. Smoke is not bullet proof, it just covers vision, but with the HUD and AR it has reduced effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by P4NCH0theD0G View Post

I love it how people try to justify the crummy aspects of a game, when it's purely just bad programming. I have loads more respect for people who admit their mistakes than the ones who don't.
    But I agree. I can be standing in a corner in a cloud of smoke, and then let's say a new guy spawns right in the mist of battle, but to him it looks like he see's an undeveloped cloud of smoke and clearly sees me like I just threw a grenade down. But it's been there for 20 seconds.
    Now, let's say this guy's a noob, with no special attachments, basic weapon, me fully camo'd and not firing a weapon or moving with my back against a wall.This guy can miss me by 10 yards on either side. But because the smoke hadn't fully formed on his end, or the smoke just sucks, along with the camo as always, he hits me right in the chest dead center 30 yards away one shot. Now, there are no uncovered spots. This guy isn't looking from the left or right, but directly in front.
    That makes no sense.

I am not trying to justify anything. I am explaining some facts of the game. The Kill cam should not be used as a tool to verify you've been hit. It is very laggy, at least I dont see the smoke on it, and it has other problems. If you are using the kill cam to justify how you've been killed you are using a failed tool.

I'm also trying to point out, as others are, the cross hairs turn orange when they are over a target. You can't tell if the killer is panning left and right from the kill cam. They could be scanning for the area for an orange cross hairs.

Other than that, I have not noticed this issue. Your best bet would be to try and video capture the issue in a custom match. Though I think the real problem is you don't understand the counter measures for firing into smoke.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast