View Poll Results: How many fingers do you use for power chords?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I use two fingers

17 56.67%
  • I use three fingers

8 26.67%
  • check my post for details.

5 16.67%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Power Chords: Two or Three fingers? | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Edit: NM...that was a little subtle for a weekend.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by steeljake View Post
    where is the option to not have anymore polls like this?
    I was wondering when someone would post this

The "power chord" is technically not a chord at all but rather a "dyad." [Edit 2: Whether you consider a dyad a chord or not is largely inconsequential. Let's just say a "power chord" is not, by definition, a "triad," which is how most text books define a "chord." A "power chord" is a dyad.]

The only problem I could see with using 2 fingers to play it is that there's a likelihood you'll also fret and hit the 3d string (let's say for discussion purposes that we're talking about E-shaped barres being "basterdized" to the Major 5th). Doing so would technically result in playing a 5th dyad (or "interval") with a 4th added - a legitimate but generally unpleasant sounding chord. (I think it would be something like an E5 diminished or augmented or something like that. . . ) For rock, using a bunch of distortion, etc. this isn't likely to even be heard so it wouldn't matter. If you were playing something clean - jazz or whatever - it could sound weird and wrong.

E Major Scale, for reference:
    E F# G# A B C# D#

The E Maj chord, for example, is E, G#, and B, the 1st, 3d, and 5th notes from the scale. For the E5 dyad/"power chord", you're just using the E, a B, and another E at the 4th string. 3 strings - 2 notes. You can play it across all 6 strings (since the 2d and 1st open strings are just another B and E note), but to end up with a pure E5, you'd need to mute the 3d string rather than fretting it at the A.

[Edit: As PRS says below, playing the "power chord" with more than just the top three strings will result in an inverted sounding chord. Adding the high b and e will definitely change the overall character of the chord - for better or worse depending on application - assuming your amp/effects aren't just totally killing the subtle distinction.]
    Last edited by JTCoop; 05-26-2012 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crispyfunk View Post
    if your using 3 fingers to play power chords then your playing one note twice so you might as well just use two fingers, but to make a proper chord we need 3 different notes , so im not even sure if power chords are even real chords i have seen in the RS game they talk about two note chords being named Double stops.
    All right, this is a statement I have been hearing my entire life! There are actually arguments that two notes are a chord. I don't care enough to argue the point, but I will point this out:

A basic chord is defined by 3 minimum notes, and that's usually the I (one), the III (or iii, which is flat or minor 3rd) and the V (five). When you play rock guitar, you tend to play loudly or through a distortion/fuzz pedal. When you play a 3rd in distortion, it tends to ring the chord like it's out of tune. Therefore, rock guitarists tend to use the I-V or power chord. The bass player, keyboardist, or solo will imply the fact that the chord is minor or not. In a band situation, you don't need to play all the notes, just the ones that fit.

Crispy, do some recordings where you consciously play all 3 notes of a power chord (I-V-VIII) and then play the same progression with just the I-V. Listen back, and if you don't hear the VIII on top, there are only a couple possibilities: 1. You have way too much distortion, so the notes aren't ringing through and you're tone is all mud. 2. Your ear isn't trained well enough to hear the higher note at the top. That is NOT the same note by a long shot, and your tone should be clear enough to tell. [edited to add] There's no right way to play a power chord, just the one that's right for how you want the chord to sound in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Penguin222
    Technically they're not chords, as they're usually the root and the 5th. Interesting RS calls 2 notes "double stops" but then labels them as chords (A5 G5) in the song.
    There are double stops and there are power chords. You might define a power chord as a double stop, but not all double stops are power chords. I can play I-IV or V-iii for example, and are double stops, but not power chords.
    Last edited by PRS_Rocker; 05-26-2012 at 05:22 PM.

This totally depends on the sound you're going for. For something more bassy or raw, I use two. For a Fuller sound, you can add the octave as the third note. It's not an always one way or always the other.

Heck, AC/DC plays a 5 string power chord (muting the third in an open E chord)

(I didn't vote)

Why isn't there an option for tacos in the poll? They're basically the power chord of the food world anyway. Super simple yet awesome.

Proud member of 2old2play.com, a community for older gamers.

Quote Originally Posted by HadOne2Many View Post
    Why isn't there an option for tacos in the poll? They're basically the power chord of the food world anyway. Super simple yet awesome.

I use 2.

There may be a time or place where a hopo makes me use 3, but I can't think of it.

Quote Originally Posted by crispyfunk View Post
    if your using 3 fingers to play power chords then your playing one note twice so you might as well just use two fingers, but to make a proper chord we need 3 different notes , so im not even sure if power chords are even real chords i have seen in the RS game they talk about two note chords being named Double stops.
    Theorists are divided on whether a power chord can be considered a chord in the traditional sense, with some requiring a 'chord' to contain a minimum of three degrees of the scale. When the same interval is found in traditional and classical music, it would not usually be called a "chord", and may be considered to be a dyad or simply an interval. However, the term is accepted as a pop and rock music term, most strongly associated with the overdriven electric guitar styles of hard rock, heavy metal, punk rock, and similar genres. The use of the term "power chord" has, to some extent, spilled over into the vocabulary of other instrumentalists, such as keyboard and synthesizer players.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by steeljake View Post
    where is the option to not have anymore polls like this?
    thanks for the laugh! I know i've said something similar on many threads.

and thanks for the feedback everyone. It helps. I'll probably continue using two fingers for the most part. As long as it sounds good it don't matter, right?
    Last edited by DreamAwake; 05-27-2012 at 12:51 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast