Thread: Clean Install / housekeeping | Forums

Clean Install / housekeeping

@Heimdall G:

It's been a while since my last Myst_IV question. I'm perplexed about how to choose now among ZoneAlarm (originally recommended as a firewall, but newest version iincludes antivirus) AVG antivirus (which now includes its own firewall) and Ad-Aware Antivirus, which used to be for spyware/adware.

What do I do? They don't all play nicely together, and I don't know which one(s) is "best."

Have you kept abreast of changes? Can you chime in or do an update to the clean install info?

p.s. I'm still running Windows XP on my old Latitude.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

-------------------------------------------
    Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to SUFFERING! - Yoda

The current trend seems to be to "packages" which include a software firewall, anti-malware, and other bells and whistles. As you note, examples are the offerings from ZoneAlarm, AVG antivirus, and Ad-Aware Antivirus.

And no, it's definitely not a good idea to install more than one package, especially if all features are activated. (Some even require their competitors to be uninstalled before they'll install.) This is almost guaranteed to cause problems.

Each package has its own features, strengths, and weaknesses. Rather than my repeating what has already been said, read through the reviews in wstrohm's Google link. Personally, I'm partial to ZoneAlarm Free - but as the saying goes, your mileage may vary!
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Sophos

I use Sophos Anti-Virus for the Mac, but Sophos also covers Windows, in case you are interested. Works very well on my G5, but have no experience with it on Windows. They provide fairly frequent updates of their "Threat Data" files. Here is their URL: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/products...n/windows.aspx
    Last edited by wstrohm; 05-27-2012 at 06:34 PM.

BTW, I'm currently in progress on updating all of the how-to's in the various "Useful Links & Information - PLEASE GO HERE Before Posting!" stickies.

Unfortunately, this is made significantly more time-consuming because our latest/greatest Forum software imposes length limits on posts. So, in addition to updating, I must restructure many of the how-to's.

Verily, a thorough pain in the tuchas!
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi

Thank you both for your responses. I'll definitely be reading up on the comparisons and specifically about Sophos.

And I'll be checking back for Heimdall_G's updated clean install instrux.

I'm resurrecting this thread:
    1) because my read of wstrohm's Google search did not yield the information *I* needed
    AND
    2) The "Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP" instructions in the Useful Links & Information list does not appear to have been updated . . . am I correct?

Just thought I'd check back!

::waves::

Anti-Virus Apps

Lyn,

1) Google didn't help? My very knowledgeable stepson recommends "Malwarebytes" as the best he has used. Or are you still trying to decide among your original three candidates ZoneAlarm, AVG, and Ad-Aware?

2) Sorry, Re-installing of the Windows OS is outside my skill set. No doubt you will have help here from others, though.

Btw, the link to Myst 4 clean boot install/reinstall from Heimdall is working for me...
    http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...ll-With-Win-XP

It would help if we new what is your problem(s), if any !

Some possibilities:

1- To do some basic XP repair(s): Start menu
    / My Computer
    / right click your main Local "C" drive
    / left click Properties at bottom of the menu
    / Go and left click the second tab "Tool"
    / left click the upper first box "error checking "check now". It will tell you that it will do it the next time you will restart your PC
    / click OK
    / and restart your PC through the Start button. let it do its job. At the end it will do an automatic restart.

2- For extra clean boot possibilities, read the following page/link from Microsoft...
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

P.S.
    For my complete security pack I have been using my internet provider's option from Radial Point for many years at a cost of about $10.(canadian) a month. (automatic updates (or manual whenever I feel like it). So far it has been perfect.
    Last edited by nanoukmetal; 01-15-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LynComeLately View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread:
    1) because my read of wstrohm's Google search did not yield the information *I* needed
    AND
    2) The "Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP" instructions in the Useful Links & Information list does not appear to have been updated . . . am I correct?
    You are correct, I've not yet updated "Clean Boot Install/Re-install With Win XP".

But please detail exactly what information you currently need.
    Heimdall
    Semper ubi sub ubi