Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-order Bonuses | Forums

Spider-Bot | Splinter Cell Blacklist | Companion App

Fourth Echelon Economy 101 | Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

Out of the Shadows - Splinter Cell Blacklist Dev Panel

J. Cole Trailer - Splinter Cell Blacklist [NORTH AMERICA]

I preordered Hitman: Absolution from Gamestop and got the Sniper Challenge. It's pretty fun. I am sick to death of their obnoxious upsell tactics though.

PlayStation MVP | PlayStation Plus member | PS2, PS3 and PS Vita owner | BETA Tester | YouTube Partner

http://www.twitter.com/semajmarc87 | http://www.youtube.com/semajmarc87
    1,500+ followers |
    100+ subscribers

YouTube Channel Trailer:

Spoiler: 
    <font color="#292F33"><span style="font-family: arial">
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Why doesn't Ubi just offer it's products through Uplay? Pre-orders and all.
    Mail us the discs like Netflix.

I bet it's complicated.

I personally don't believe that pre-order bonuses should include game content, "exclusive" or not.

Cool merchandise (T-shirts, posters, coffee mugs, etc.) is alright but not game content because it affects the game.

Quote Originally Posted by the_5_freedoms View Post
    i personally don't believe that pre-order bonuses should include game content, "exclusive" or not.

Cool merchandise (t-shirts, posters, coffee mugs, etc.) is alright but not game content because it affects the game.
    qft

Quote Originally Posted by The_5_Freedoms View Post
    I personally don't believe that pre-order bonuses should include game content, "exclusive" or not.

Cool merchandise (T-shirts, posters, coffee mugs, etc.) is alright but not game content because it affects the game.
    Those kinds of merchandise don't appeal to me at all though. I don't do posters anymore, and dropping my kids off at school with an SC shirt on with the tri focals doesn't enthuse me. The medium is a game oriented spectrum after all, I think extra purchaseable content SHOULD be gameplay related, rather than periphial stuff.

Would you be opposed to a release of a second SC game the same year as SC6 (it could be a part 2 or a different game and type altogether)? i don't think most would be opposed, but rather be happy to have an opportunity at MORE of their favored franchises. I see DLC, exclusive content and bonuses as exactly the same thing, more choices on what you can buy for your gaming experience. For example; Should people be denied Ferrari's because I can't have one? Or a Ferrari with extras that I can't get because my State has to have catalytic convertors?
    I feel like I am more against the restriction of game expansion and diversity than ever, it feels like a limitation being imposed on the individual. I can't see justification for denying access to extras for some simply because not everyone can get it. Especially when some want the 'full package' only to quickly move on to another title, and then the replay people are denied the right to expand the titlte they want to play more?

I just got a custom camo for my weapons in GRFS, called "SCC Camo". I guess it's there because I have SCC and accessed the Beta using it. Should that reward NOT be available to me for being a loyal fan because someone else didn't even know about SCC or was to young to buy it etc?

DLC is good. Pre order bonuses are good too, especially when there are so many of them that EVERYBODY is denied the ability to have them all unless they are willing to buy ten copies of the game from ten different places.
    Fairness needs to be addressed by making bonus content available through lots of outlets, so EVERYONE has the option to get something and VERY FEW can have everything.

I think that the real problem is the feeling that some developers hold things back that should be included in the standard versions. High quality/quantity titles don't make you feel that way though. Squeeze a lot in so the extras really do feel like extras, not hold backs.

GOW3 did it good I think. Character skins were spread over several outlets. I could not use Mechanic Baird because he was a Best Buy exclusive, instead I got Commando Dom who I didn't want, but the last DLC package had Mechanic Baird in it. So eventually I got it all, or most of it anyway, but the pre order deal allowed players to have a REAL reward for a time, that was fun and allowed a bit of identity without really screwing anyone over at all.

Just my opinion.

Wouldn't you like a Bonus Sam skin for owning all of the titles? Saves on your hard drive authorizing access to a Free DLC ONLY available to Legacy players? Sounds good to me. Especially if everyone can buy it a year after release if they care about it enough..

I might like a coffee mug though. Or a real 5-7 as a bonus, that'd be pretty sweet.
    Last edited by SolidSage; 05-23-2012 at 06:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSage View Post
    Pre order bonuses are good too, especially when there are so many of them that EVERYBODY is denied the ability to have them all unless they are willing to buy ten copies of the game from ten different places.
    I'm sorry, what? Are you serious? You don't want to have everything without buying 10 copies of the game?

Sure I'd like all the bonuses, but I'd prefer if they were open to everyone. The content is there and done, no reason to hold it back from anyone. Why should only people who have unlocked certain achievement in Conviction be able to use a outfit that is in the next game? Sure businesswise it makes sense to have tons of exclusive stuff, but like said with that logic they should remove the final story mission from the game for those who don't pre-order.

True that if the base games were complete and more rich in content, and never having any sort of "Buy DLC! Unlock this through Uplay!" ads in-game I could be more forgiving, but that's all what if. I don't see companies making their games richer, if anything they will continue to pierce the games into smaller microtransactions.
    Warning: Everything above is an opinion
    The show must go on
    What is this Splinter Cell you talk about?

^ No, I don't feel the NEED to have everything. I am not controlled by a possesive or envious nature.

Having a different outfit that only a smaal percentage of players have is simply fun, weapons too. And the players who don't have my suit, have a suit that I can't have. It just ADDS to the experience. You can only wear one at a time anyway, why this irrational NEED to have EVERYTHING. If that mind set was applied to the real world, EVERYONE would be terminally depressed.
    Players need to get over the material urges that make them focus on the negative aspects rather than the positive.
    The game environment is much larger than it ever was, why this need to isolate it all to one total package?

Are YOU saying that extra content should be included for free for everyone, or that companies shouldn't exercise the option to create and sell more content? Or are you suggesting they should make more content as standard and up the price of the game and thereby sell less of them (probably).

I don't need to have everything and I wouldn't deprive others of perks just because my situation didn't allow for them. A SUIT isn't altering the game in any significant way at all.
    Again it's not about depriving some, it's about offering differences. Pre orderer's should be rewarded. The only issue is finding ways to offer similar rewards to those who have no access to them.

I do agree, that as with EVERYTHING, there will always be an avenue that some will exploit, i.e. removing content that should be included.
    As I said, GOW3 extra campaign was not part of the main campaign, it had totally new playable characters. And the main campaign was as long if not longer than both other entries in the franchise AND it upped the play to 4 players. So they gave us MORE than ever, then offered even more as an option. Where's the issue there?

So Yes, I am serious.
    Last edited by SolidSage; 05-23-2012 at 10:13 PM.

Banned
    It really just comes down to it being a jealousy issue. "Aw, that guy get's a suit that I want, so therefore it is not fair, and the developer sucks". Sad, but that's the very basis of any argument against what you're asking, Sage. I have to say, I'm completely on-board with you, because we are both pretty logical about some things, from time to time :P (This MUST be one of those times)

But seriously, outfits, weapon skins and things like THOSE, ultimately don't do anything for me. Like I said somewhere - I want customization customization customization. Not a pre-determined outfit. But maybe that's just me, I suppose. SCC for example, I've only ever used Shadow armour, 3E and Voron suits in D-ops. I can't remember any time when I've ever felt the urge to try something else. (ONE example)

^ I'm not arguing the type of content so much as that I think extra content is fun, be it a suit, or even a coffee mug or item packs with several sets of goggles and gloves and boots or whatever.
    Skins seem to be the easy one.
    I am a little put off by day one Map packs, but I had no problem with the release of the Insurgency maps. I think Brotherhood wasa good example of a map and piece of story that felt like it was removed from the package. I'm not thrilled about that, so I do see that side of the argument as logical. But the silly items, there's not a real problem there.

Banned
    Exactly.

I really think that pre-order access to a game or something, like Hitman, is a great idea.

If Splinter Cell had something like that, we've been waiting for so long for SC6, that I bet every one of us here, who was able, would pre-order. Early access to something? That's where it's at. Especially for big titles.

But does anybody know what benefits companies get, when it comes to people pre-ordering their game? Is it just popularity stats? Just a number? Or is there some financial gain they get somewhere along the way, from the MOST amount of people pre-ordering? I can't see it, but who knows?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast