Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Absurd Marketing Situation | Forums

Absurd Marketing Situation

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC is now less then a month from release, with less then half a page of text, only one official screenshot, conflicting information about what versions of Windows it will work with, and pre-order bonus offers that expire in less then a week that it's assumed we'll buy blind -- this is not a tenable or accountable situation for good PC sales or happy Customers...

This very bad approach to marketing leaves one to wonder if this is how Ubisoft intends to achieve safe distance from any reproach of accountability with respect to truth in advertising -- by simply not advertising anything but vague, incomplete, conflicting information with obscure and deniable placement...

If GR:FS PC were a bargain bin shovelware game that sold for a fraction of the 'AAA' asking price all of this would be understandable -- but people that may be willing to shell out the premium full boat price for a pre-order offer, don't as yet have the vaguest clue as to how the game they're buying even looks on the PC no less will work with their OS... Unbelievable!

Last edited by hoak; 05-19-2012 at 11:31 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Guess Hoak's on XP then?

No Sir. And even if I were it's hardly the point, which is that some people have already pre-ordered the game that are stuck with Windows XP -- and now after the fact Ubisoft is changing the GR:FS PC game OS requirements? Or not, who knows?

If the game is going to be DirectX 11 only and the post processing effects are really over-the-top and you don't like them, this could also mean there may be no option to turn them off, or even turn them down.

If it's a situation per the Steam advert where it appears that certain maps in the 'Deluxe Edition' will require DirectX 11 then the GR:FS PC community will be diced and split up not only by the limitations of match-making, but who and who can't play the Deluxe Edition maps.

We're fast nosing up against the end of pre-order offers (tomorrow in fact), that some will unwittingly jump on (very few read the forums) and buy or have already bought the game they may not even be able to play -- which for some won't be discovered till after the fact, or Ubisoft reconciles the explanation.

On top of all that prospective Customers don't even know what the game they're pre-ordering really looks like -- with only one 'official' in-game PC screenshot to go on, and six others on Steam of unknown origin that may look nothing like the shipping game people are already paying for...

All that's needed to stand the bleak GR:FS PC marketing experience on its head is one official post that puts all the PC platform facts in order that includes a few screenshots and/or video that are actually from the PC version of the game. How hard can that be for a company that employs more people and spends more money on Marketing than for Development?

Last edited by hoak; 05-20-2012 at 11:00 AM.

Well hoak, if you feel unloved, and GRFS turns out to be a flop, you should join us on Ghost Recon Online when it comes back up. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Compassghost View Post
    Well hoak, if you feel unloved, and GRFS turns out to be a flop, you should join us on Ghost Recon Online when it comes back up. ^_^
    I want to play it too, but I don't know when will start the full Eu beta. I have a beta key, but I can't reedem it.

They took it down for a few weeks. I assume they'll restart it after GRFS comes out and they flesh out some of the bugs.

I got a few random videos uploaded, but most of them involve hilarity rather than seriousness, if you're interested in actual gameplay ^_^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1x09KSRKlA

Melee only Recon, for example :P

I tried to enjoy GRO, but the amount of clowns playing as Recon, hanging back doing nothing constructive really ticked me off :S

Quote Originally Posted by spikevamp84 View Post
    I tried to enjoy GRO, but the amount of clowns playing as Recon, hanging back doing nothing constructive really ticked me off :S
    Get a fireteam! Or a microwave ^_^

That coco ****e was the worst marketing video i have evr seen, some fat rice pudding arse concrete tits bimbo. wtf has that got to do with gr? seriously somebody should be fired.
    http://www.media73.co.uk - film & video production Leeds

Quote Originally Posted by Compassghost View Post
    Well this has to be one of the more hilarious outcomes of Ubisoft's awkward (to put it politely) branding and marketing: Ubisoft Fans from Ubisoft games trolling Fans of other Ubisoft games to 'give it up' and play the other game, of the same name, or.. wait...

I have played GR:O Compassghost, and it's an ok game, but I think GR:FS is more, at least in spirit, along the lines of the kind of game I like. But Ubisoft seems demerited to make knowing that, and actually buying their games as challenging and as much work as possible -- which is such a cardinal business 'no-no'...

Last edited by hoak; 05-20-2012 at 09:53 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast