Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 202

Thread: To Bandfuse Or Not To Bandfuse? | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

  1. #21
    With regards to efficiency of learning songs, tab notation is far superior. I think Rocksmith would have a wider audience if it also offered tab as an option, even if it was just an in-game reference.

    Rocksmith's game notation does make it more suitable for a console, as well as people who come from rhythm game franchises, so I don't think it was a bad decision...it just may turn off more experienced players where another product with tab notation would attract them.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  2. #22
    Senior Member Steel_Nirvana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    4,238
    Sorry, but no: tab isn't superior at all. It's just the best that could be devised at the time for people who couldn't read music, in order to help them figure out which finger to put where on the guitar. It's still not bad for static, 2D notation. Add the z-axis, though, and there's no longer any reason for tab. The RS interface is much more intuitive and easier to sight-read than tab. And, yes, I'm quite good with tab also.

    What on earth makes you think tab is inherently superior?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  3. #23
    Senior Member toymachinesh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    4,706
    Rocksmith is just an alternate way of displaying tablature...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  4. #24
    Senior Member JTCoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Near Muscle Shoals & Nashville
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Selurevad View Post
    I may get Bandfuse, if I hear good things about it, particularly if I hear good things from any guinea pigs on this forum who buy it first .
    What he said.

    I never try to be "the first on my block" to buy anything. And, I'd rather see a movie at home for $5 (or less) than pay $10 (each) to see the same thing in a theatre. If I haven't seen it, it's still new to me.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  5. #25
    I eagerly await the release of Bandfuse. As much as I appreciate RS, I am totally frustrated by the Dynamic Leveling sytem. I get tired of constantly playing at the very edge of my ability. Hopefully they remedy this with a "speed control" patch. I'd be happy just to be able to stop the level up at a point I'm comfortable playing at.

    Either way I like the idea of learning Tab while playing the game, and I'm a fan of Slash. Also like Jocko said, the more tools the better.

    If Bandfuse gives me more control over my "gaming" experience, I'm in.

    On a side note, Slash is going to be playing here (Minneapolis) Monday night!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  6. #26
    Senior Member JTCoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Near Muscle Shoals & Nashville
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by dougoberle View Post
    With regards to efficiency of learning songs, tab notation is far superior. I think Rocksmith would have a wider audience if it also offered tab as an option, even if it was just an in-game reference.
    I've never understood this argument - pro or con. Go to the Settings Menu. Flip the display "upside down." What do you have? Tabs.

    Granted, the notes are moving toward you, but that is necessary for a console or any sort of live, moving single-page display. The only thing RS doesn't do that some (not all) tabs do is provide actual NOTES with specific time values (i.e. there are no whole notes, half notes, quarter notes, etc.).

    Having said that, I will say that FOR ME Rocksmith's moving tabs are much more efficient for learning songs. I say that because I've actually learned to play songs on my guitar using Rocksmith's moving tabs. I have printed some tabs off the I'net recently but I just don't find them very appealing. Much of that is due to the source - layout and accuracy of the tabs varies widely from website to website. Not an inherent weakness of tabs but just part of my experience with them. Also, the idea of going into my music room and shuffling three pages of print around trying to work my way through Green Day's Holiday while the sheets of paper fall to the floor, etc. and I reach for the rewind button on the CD player again just isn't as efficient FOR ME.

    [Edit1: I also read "real" or "traditional" music notation. If I had to rely on that, I'd never learn anything on my guitar, mainly because I'd have to sit there for hours figuring out where on the neck to play notes which appear at multiple locations on my guitar neck. I suspect that was the driving force behind tablature notation in the first place. Different tools for different jobs. . . Sort of like the alphabet we're using to post this stuff. Wouldn't work quite as well if we wanted to write in Russian or Thai. It could work - maybe just not as fluidly.]
    Last edited by JTCoop; 05-12-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  7. #27
    Senior Member JTCoop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Near Muscle Shoals & Nashville
    Posts
    1,576
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockmatrix View Post
    I eagerly await the release of Bandfuse. As much as I appreciate RS, I am totally frustrated by the Dynamic Leveling sytem. I get tired of constantly playing at the very edge of my ability.
    There are actually two ways around this: 1) just don't try to play the new notes that appear when you level up and 2) if RS doesn't level you back down and remove those extra notes, just go into the Riff Repeater and manually level yourself down. Almost sounds like you're caught in the middle between trying too hard to get RSPs and just learning to play your guitar. Or, maybe you're just better than you think you are and you aren't actually "playing at the very edge." Just something to consider. . .
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    727
    Quote Originally Posted by dougoberle View Post
    With regards to efficiency of learning songs, tab notation is far superior. I think Rocksmith would have a wider audience if it also offered tab as an option, even if it was just an in-game reference.

    Rocksmith's game notation does make it more suitable for a console, as well as people who come from rhythm game franchises, so I don't think it was a bad decision...it just may turn off more experienced players where another product with tab notation would attract them.
    Tab would be nice.. especially for fast sections where it's hard to actually figure out what fret the note is on. At least with tab, you know for sure the string AND the fret number without having to scan for a reference point. It would also help a lot on fast sections with chords where with Rocksmith, they just stack up and you can't even see all the notes. With tab, again, at least the interface isn't getting in the way of knowing what to play.

    I think the argument against tab is like the argument against reading music. The people who are against it are the people who don't do it. You don't ever see someone who took the time to learn how to site read sheet music say it's bad. Why? Because once you learn it, it's second nature, just like the people who've learned how to site read the Rocksmith notation. You could also learn how to site read tab or sheet music. I also don't see a reason to be against an OPTION that didn't have to be used when there are plenty of people who'd like to have it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  9. #29
    Senior Member Steel_Nirvana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    4,238
    Quote Originally Posted by rchiav View Post
    I think the argument against tab is like the argument against reading music. The people who are against it are the people who don't do it. You don't ever see someone who took the time to learn how to site read sheet music say it's bad. Why? Because once you learn it, it's second nature, just like the people who've learned how to site read the Rocksmith notation. You could also learn how to site read tab or sheet music. I also don't see a reason to be against an OPTION that didn't have to be used when there are plenty of people who'd like to have it.
    This is complete BS, as well as faulty logic. It's the worst sort of ad hominem reasoning, where all you're doing is making up derogatory things to say about anyone who might disagree in order to dismiss them as incompetent rather than addressing the actual arguments presented. It's also logically faulty in that the cornerstone of your argument is the fallacy that just because a lot of people do it, it must therefore be the best way to accomplish the task. Appeal to popularity is not logically sound.

    Besides, according to your argument, everyone should just learn real musical notation and get it over with.

    It's okay, as JTCoop did, to specify what works for you personally. It's also all right to discuss the objective pros and cons of how tab and RS display notes. It's not acceptable, in any sense social or logical, to call anyone who has a different opinion incompetent. Many of us on the other side of the argument read tab just fine, thank you, and have for years.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

  10. #30
    Senior Member cws78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    750
    I personally think the way Rocksmith is setup is perfect. As far as the issue with reading tab, Rocksmith in a sense is tab. I mean the notes that come down the "highway" are colored yes, but the coordinate to the fret number on the neck and the string. I used to be able to read music a little but that was years ago, I am sure I could pick it up again, but I found tab to be the easiest more efficient way to play.

    I think Bandfuse will be pretty cool, but like I said the only thing that is kinda of weird is the side scrolling. I think what is worrying me a little is history repeats itself, I mean first there was Guitar Hero, a good solid fun game. Then there was Rockband, different but totally blew Guitar Hero out of the water. Then came the epic failure of PowerGig, they tried to change everything, and I got suckered into the band set that is still sitting in the box collecting dust. So I guess we will see what happens with Bandfuse.
    Guitar playing is both extremely easy for me and extremely difficult for me at the same time.

    Kirk Hammett

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •