Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Please tell me it's not going to suck... | Forums

Early reviews in...although always taken with a pinch of salt, not too favourable. The words 'Dated', 'Buggy', 'Bad dialogue' and 'Pants' seem much in evidence...

http://www.gaming-age.com/2012/05/ga...ox-360-ps3-pc/

http://uk.gamespot.com/game-of-thron...eview-6377141/

http://wegotthiscovered.com/Game-rev...hrones-review/

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/15/game-of-thrones-review

Oh well, at least I've got something to read while I wait for it to hit the bargain bins...

"You need to get out and **** more, L_F m8."
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

That doesn't amaze, to tell the truth. However, those books will keep you going in fine form for a good long while. They really are good.

Thoroughly enjoying the first volume (which makes me realise how faithful the series was to it). The characters and their motives are very well realised, I like the way he sees things from a child's point of view - although it's certainly not a children's book. Racing towards the end and looking forward to plotlines and characters I haven't met yet in the next book.

My gripes (aw, c'mon - it is L_F posting):-

He can't spell 'Sir' and habitually falls back into American vernacular; this is no mere resurrection of the great 'arse' v '***' debate - my family always did say it 'ay-double-ess', my generation seemingly abandoning their phonetic heritage. Well that's what comes of giving common people indoor toilets and electricity, I suppose, but I digress. His characters 'break their fast' one moment and 'get up like he had a dagger up his 'bee-yew-double-tee' the next (thank the Ubicensor for that one ). I'm wondering if he's having an 'in joke'. This is not to detract from a wonderful read (I found fault with 'War And Peace'. Tolstoy's passages on masonic conspiracy are awful. You hear me Leo? Awful! Pull your finger out for 'War And Peace 2' - the first one showed some promise).

Anyhoo' - by the time I've finished book two, series two should be on the shelf at my local video store. I'm thinking it should be worth a watch. No spoilers please...

Glad you're enjoying them. They're nasty books in lots of ways. I like the lack of magic in them and the grittiness. As you said, everyone comes across as having legitimate motivations for their actions so you find your sympathies switching around quite often.
    I hadn't noticed the anachronistic slang but the example you pointed out does jar a bit. I also agree that Tolstoy messed up the entire last third of War and Peace. I was really enjoying it until the whole bit about "what if they had a war and nobody came' monologue.

I'm currently the best part of the way through book one too. Very enjoyable. Slightly embarrassed I hadn't heard of them before seeing the series.

"Nineteen years of age, eight years public education, three years military service. Intelligent, normally observant and answered all questions freely.
    He was arrogant and proud to be a pilot. Fellow prisoners in hospital consider him mentally unstable."

Rapidly nearing the end of book two 'A Clash of KIngs'. Just as addictive as the first, although it has to be said that Martin's writing is at times terrible. His storytelling on the other hand is fabulous. For once a triumph of substance over style. The most 'just one more chapter before I turn in' books I've read in years. It's too late for me (and, I suspect, poor Feathered ) but do consider the consequences if you decide to give the books a go...Game of Thrones is 'fantasy gateway drug'

I've just finished the first season of the show on DVD tonight, and I'm not all that impressed with it TBH. In my opinion, it falls flat in the dirt when I compare it with 'Rome' and 'Deadwood', in that I didn't get invested enough in the story where I sympathized or even cared what happened to any of the characters so far in 'Game of thrones', as well as the show being predictable with the plots in contrast to the other two aforementioned HBO series. Another reason I didn't care much for GoT is that it constantly reminded me of Robert Adams' 'Horseclans' series of books with its similar characters and plots. On the plus side, the costumes, props and sets are awesome.

On a side note, I'd love to see an HBO series based on the trials and tribulations between the various families who happened to reside in the Debateable Land during the Elizabethan period, with historically based fictional stories about the folks who lived there back then. To wit: George McDonald Fraser's 'The Steel Bonnets' come to life.

Not a million miles away, if you think about it; I'm digging the Beeb's latest Shakespeare series...

The Hollow Crown

...I'd love to see this done on a Game of Thrones budget. And yes, I was expecting Patrick Stewart to say 'Make it so.'

Finished the books - the last one in particlar really brought home how very, very repetitive Martin's writing style is. It's all got a bit too vast - certain characters and plotlines go missing for huge swathes of the story and play 'catch up' if and when they finally appear, interrupting the flow. I wouldn't argue with anyone who thinks he's milking a cash cow. Will I get the next one? Yes.
    Last edited by Low_Flyer_MkIX; 07-04-2012 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Low_Flyer_MkIX View Post
    Not a million miles away, if you think about it; I'm digging the Beeb's latest Shakespeare series...

The Hollow Crown

...I'd love to see this done on a Game of Thrones budget. And yes, I was expecting Patrick Stewart to say 'Make it so.'
    +1

I checked out some of the other scene clips of the show on Youtube, and I'm definitely hooked. I can't wait for this show to get to the U.S. now.

Richard II and Henry IV pt1 both very good although Richard in particular suffered from budgetary constraints and the battle scene in Henry owed more than a little to Chimes At Midnight. Some fantastic performances by familiar faces. I loved the use of regional accents and Welsh song. My biggest gripe is that Wimbledon over-ran last night and buggered the scheduled transmission. I hated Wimbledon and the once-a-year tennis fans anyway - now I'm positively psychotic about it. Constantly amazed at how relevant Shakespeare's writing is to our times. Another boxed set purchase on the way, methinks.
    Last edited by Low_Flyer_MkIX; 07-08-2012 at 07:41 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12