Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The learning curve of GRO | Forums

The learning curve of GRO

Before I start my rant I would like to say some the great things about GRO.
    It makes teamwork a must in order to succeed in games and win as efficiently as possible.
    The UI is pretty straight forward and easy to use and looks very GRO-like.
    For a F2P game the graphics are great and the mechanics are awesome (while needing some touch ups here and there).
    There are places where only a watchful eye, creative thinking, and a good shot (being able to mouse over just right) can make mind boggling shots (not the prone glitch) such as shooting through cracks and such.
    The classes feel decently balanced, there's a way to counter everything with everything.

Now while everything on paper and out of game are great, you still have the learning curve of actually learning HOW to play. While I'm probably one of the last people who should actually talk about this, I feel like it's worth mentioning. As more keys go out, fresh new players come in and while they understand a lot of the things, there are things they have yet to understand. For the practical things like "what's the critical system?," "How do I use this?," "is there a way to do this?," or "Why is this like this?" I don't mind trying to answer them if they PM me or ask in public channel, however there are things that have to be done or experienced. Gameplay. I feel like there should be an ingame tutorial or something (maybe even a newcomer matchmaking) so they can get the basic grasp of the game and how to use the abilities and how to counter what ability or manuever with what, or something.

Maybe a tutorial or a set of training missions against dummys or AIs to help new comers learn the objectives, which believe it or not, isn't to just kill everyone on the other team, but to capture the objective points (The alphabet in the top right corner, blue good, red bad). Even try out the classes without worrying (while everyone and their mother still seems to lean towards recon for some unkown reason)

Throwing the kids into the deep end of the pool (while effective in some cases) is not always the way to go. I've been in multiple matches where teams have been steam-rolled just because they didn't know how to best utilize their classes, that there was a push to talk ****on (Left Alt), or that they haven't learned any of the tricks that people who've been playing have picked up on (granted that this should be that way). While the game gives a tutorial of how to buy and start match making, it doesn't give a true, if any, understanding of the gameplay. You go into a match, you pop up in a battlefield. Great, now what do I do now? Hey there's a guy over there, I'm gonna mess his day up! That sounds straight forward, but that's not the objective of GRO. In the basic sense it's more "Hey! That hill looks nice. I want that hill. I'll capture it and say it's mine."

I guess what I'm trying to say is that knowledge is power, and the new comers aren't getting enough from the start...in my opinion

/rant off

somewhere in there is a message or a point.

cue person saying "Why don't you go get in a fireteam?"

Why don't you get......nvm. I actually agree on most of these points, hence my thread; http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...to-new-players

Quote Originally Posted by Creepermoss View Post
    Why don't you get......nvm. I actually agree on most of these points, hence my thread; http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php...to-new-players
    I'll be sure to bump it and add a few ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by warghost819 View Post
    Before I start my rant I would like to say some the great things about GRO.
    It makes teamwork a must in order to succeed in games and win as efficiently as possible.
    The UI is pretty straight forward and easy to use and looks very GRO-like.
    For a F2P game the graphics are great and the mechanics are awesome (while needing some touch ups here and there).
    There are places where only a watchful eye, creative thinking, and a good shot (being able to mouse over just right) can make mind boggling shots (not the prone glitch) such as shooting through cracks and such.
    The classes feel decently balanced, there's a way to counter everything with everything.

Now while everything on paper and out of game are great, you still have the learning curve of actually learning HOW to play. While I'm probably one of the last people who should actually talk about this, I feel like it's worth mentioning. As more keys go out, fresh new players come in and while they understand a lot of the things, there are things they have yet to understand. For the practical things like "what's the critical system?," "How do I use this?," "is there a way to do this?," or "Why is this like this?" I don't mind trying to answer them if they PM me or ask in public channel, however there are things that have to be done or experienced. Gameplay. I feel like there should be an ingame tutorial or something (maybe even a newcomer matchmaking) so they can get the basic grasp of the game and how to use the abilities and how to counter what ability or manuever with what, or something.

Maybe a tutorial or a set of training missions against dummys or AIs to help new comers learn the objectives, which believe it or not, isn't to just kill everyone on the other team, but to capture the objective points (The alphabet in the top right corner, blue good, red bad). Even try out the classes without worrying (while everyone and their mother still seems to lean towards recon for some unkown reason)

Throwing the kids into the deep end of the pool (while effective in some cases) is not always the way to go. I've been in multiple matches where teams have been steam-rolled just because they didn't know how to best utilize their classes, that there was a push to talk ****on (Left Alt), or that they haven't learned any of the tricks that people who've been playing have picked up on (granted that this should be that way). While the game gives a tutorial of how to buy and start match making, it doesn't give a true, if any, understanding of the gameplay. You go into a match, you pop up in a battlefield. Great, now what do I do now? Hey there's a guy over there, I'm gonna mess his day up! That sounds straight forward, but that's not the objective of GRO. In the basic sense it's more "Hey! That hill looks nice. I want that hill. I'll capture it and say it's mine."

I guess what I'm trying to say is that knowledge is power, and the new comers aren't getting enough from the start...in my opinion

/rant off

somewhere in there is a message or a point.

cue person saying "Why don't you go get in a fireteam?"

One of the few things we agree on and who knows maybe people wouldn't get spawn camped as much if they knew how to play before hand.

People wouldn't get spawncamped if folks had any sense of fair play, either. You can't put the actions of a few mean spirited folks on the skill level of new or bad players, it's not their fault the enemy chose to spawncamp them. IMO, if your team is skilled enough to push the enemy back to spawn, there is no reason to pin them there, as you are clearly running the show.

You could just as easily setup a defense further back, and give the other team a chance, while avoiding both the resentment spawncamping develops, and the eventual ban you'll get for violating the rules as set forth by the GMs. This is actually what most decent folks do, where they might transfer past spawn, but don't sit at the very closest point to it and shoot unaware folks as they exit.

Quote Originally Posted by SoK-CRiTiCaL View Post
    One of the few things we agree on and who knows maybe people wouldn't get spawn camped as much if they knew how to play before hand.
    Opinions are like certain human anatomic body parts used for defecating, everyone has one, but we can only stand the smell of our own.

However, this does appear to be some middle ground between two opinions.

I agree. Down the road when every is above level 20, the new players will be VERY frustrated and it will be up to us to tell them "it's ok, it will get better, I promise! Just keep leveling up"

For example you weapons are much weaker that you think at the beginning. Newbies won't realize until level 5-6 or 8 how powerful the squad armor bonus is or the mk16 vs other assault rifles, of even the usage of armor slot buffs (tougtness, armor and health) Newbies will think their rifle is doing 28hp of damage per shot when actually it will only be doing 20-21 depending on the level of the opponents. one match they could be playing against other newbs kill them in one or two bursts and think "ok this is cool" then play against a team of level 27 players, fire the same two bursts and cry "lag, hit detection" when actually the higher levels are just that much more powerful.

How do they rectify this I am not sure. Unless you can "pay to level up" I am not sure how to best balance this. As this is a F2P game paying customers should have somewhat of an advantage, but not a huge one., its a tough call to make.

GRO Community Leader Freelancer852's Avatar
    You'll be able to purchase a Boost item for 25% or 50% more RP and XP every game when the game goes live (or maybe in open beta at some point).
    Ghost Recon Online Community Leader

How to Submit a Bug Report
    Contact GRO NA Support

Official GRO TwitchTV Livestream
    Official GRO Facebook
    Official GRO Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by TightNinja1 View Post
    As this is a F2P game paying customers should have somewhat of an advantage, but not a huge one., its a tough call to make.
    /shiver

No well developed F2P game should give a paying customer an advantage. If the game is designed well enough, they should make you want to spend money without getting an advantage (i.e. skins for guns and armor or what not.) The second it goes P2W (pay to win,) I will be uninstalling most likely.

I don't really see a slight exp boost as a game breaker. It's nice, but getting higher levels without the RP doesn't really do a whole lot for ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast