Thread: Snorkel..?? | Forums

Snorkel..??

I had the impression that our subs had a snorkel to allow operation of the diesel engines to recharge the batteries. It sems they don't. Last night i tried bringing the sub up in steps until the batteries started charging, but they don't seem to get recharged until you hit the 30' mark. By then all of the "sail" and parts of the deck are exposed, so any enemy ships closer than about 9,000 yds will start shelling the living daylights out of you....And you really can't wait until nightfall (several hours away) and hope to keep up with a task force doing 20 kts while you limp along at 4 kts....

Any ideas..?? I'm running v1.5 with RSRDC.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I don't think the US had snorkels in WW II. If you are playing the German side not sure.
    John

In Memory of Cdm Howard Gilmore and the crew of USS Growler SS-215
    Thanks Tambor 198 for the Sig
    "Vision, Courage, Determination are our only limitations."

At about 30 feet (more or less), depending on the sub class, you're running on diesels only. That's why your batteries recharge. There is no snorkel on Fleetboats.
    He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.
    -Ecclesiastes 3:11 (NIV84)

I know that at 30 ft. +/- diesels come on-line. I wanted to fire 'em up before exposing the boat. No snorkel...what a deal....

The U-boats were the only ones that used a snorkel. SH-4 doesn't model the feature. From what I understand, the snorkel didn't work very well unless the seas were absolutely calm.
    The're in their bars, drinking, celebrating our sinking! Not yet my friends, not yet!

True all around, the Germans invented the snorkel near the end of the war, but it was too late and not very successful. by the time they had most of the kinks figured out, the Brits were using a new tactic to find them so the advantage was all but lost. The other down side to the German Snorkel(I believe) is that they had to pipe the exhaust up the sail also, unlike modern subs that snorkel. Nowadays we actually use low-pressure air to create a bubble to prevent back flow of water back into the exhaust of the engine.
    "On my ship, we never have problems, only solutions" - Ret ADM Eugene Fluckey, USN