Thread: I think someone just tried to scam me... | Forums

I think someone just tried to scam me...

My son is a freshman in H.S. I got a call from someone who knew his name and where he went to school. They told me that he had signed up for an SAT tutorial program at school that would cover all his SATs. They told me they were going to send the set of disks to me but they needed a card to hold the disks on.. If I didn't want the disks I could return them for a full refund. I told them I do not give my credit card info to strangers with a story that I know nothing about and did not solicit myself... under ANY cir****tances.

CLICK.... silence.

Beware.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

That's nothing. I just found out that my pasty white **** is royalty in Nigeria.

cheers

horseback
    "Here's your new Mustangs, boys. You can learn to fly'em on the way to the target. Cheers!" -LTCOL Don Blakeslee, 4th FG CO, February 27th, 1944

Quote Originally Posted by Bearcat99 View Post
    My son is a freshman in H.S. I got a call from someone who knew his name and where he went to school....
    Although it may not be the method in this case, yet another reason to keep your kids off social media sites...

Yeah... I hear you.... I'm amazed at how many scammers are out there. Last summer though, while I was smoking a cigar on the front porch. A young kid came by with the old "miracle cleaner" grift. He was meant to distract me while his buddy went around the back and looted the house. I've been around so I never left the porch and never let the other get out of my sight. I gotta admire em though for going "old school".

Worf

I'd love a copy of those discs Bearcat, I'll buy 'em just as soon as I get my share of the Nigerian prince's loot that's stuck in a bank in Kazakhstan.

Best five grand I ever spent!

This is just sad Doesn't anyone just sell bridges anymore?

K2

-

Don't worry, as soon as I get millions from securing the Nigerian Princes funds, it's the first thing I'll fix about the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by LEBillfish View Post
    ... Doesn't anyone just sell bridges anymore?

K2
    Nah, the old school grand schemes sometimes require quite a bit of seed money to convince the mark that it's for real. The new internet stuff is pretty close to zero loss, only requiring volume of attempts to generate income.