Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I be the wingman in IL-2 offline? | Forums

Can I be the wingman in IL-2 offline?

I don't know if anybody has wanted to do this besides me but is it possible to NOT to be the squadron leader in a Single Mission or in a Quick Mission Build? I've been playing this game only offline for a couple years and am still pretty much a newb but it's great. I just would like to follow a leader so I could really take part in a mission with someone else in charge. I'm sure someone will say "join an online server" and I should, but I wouldn't last past the first minute in a ground assault or dog fight without invulnerable and unlimited ammo settings. Anyway someone please let me know if it's possible. Thanks, F.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Quote Originally Posted by fknox View Post
    I don't know if anybody has wanted to do this besides me but is it possible to NOT to be the squadron leader in a Single Mission or in a Quick Mission Build? I've been playing this game only offline for a couple years and am still pretty much a newb but it's great. I just would like to follow a leader so I could really take part in a mission with someone else in charge. I'm sure someone will say "join an online server" and I should, but I wouldn't last past the first minute in a ground assault or dog fight without invulnerable and unlimited ammo settings. Anyway someone please let me know if it's possible. Thanks, F.
    QMB, no.

In a single player mission yes, but you'll have to edit the mission in the FMB, but its really easy to do.

An even easier way is just to start one of the hundreds of DGEN campaigns, and start at a low rank, you'll always be a wingman until you work your way up the ranks

Dgen is only in the modded version, correct? And I'll find the Dgen folder in my modded version of IL-2. Do I go to the Dgen folder or do I use JSGME? I'm currently modded to UP 2.1. I'm trying to go to HSFX 5.0 but I've been having trouble with the UTorrent downloads but it might be my internet connection. As far as editing single missions, do I just go to the FMB and there is a way to open the single missions? Sorry for the stupid questions but like I said I'm still a newb.

No Dgen is the stock dynamic campaign generator, just go to Pilot Career in the main menu. Anything marked with a * is a dgen campaign. You can also download extra DGEN campaigns , look here

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php

Can run Dgen campaigns in modded il2 as well.

You can also choose your rank in static campaigns as well, although the missions tend to be written with a specified rank in mind.

re the fmb, go into it, then click load mission, and then so to the 'single' folder, all your single missions are in there.
    Last edited by thefruitbat; 05-03-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Flying as wingman is actually great when you fly on Realistic settings... in 90% of cases your electronic squadron buddies will spot enemy first and act accordingly. Assuming that you have better skills than enemy AI which shouldn't be a prob you can do fine this way even in inferior aircraft. It's all about tactics... and usually whoever score an opener (first kill), has enormous advantage because those fights are somewhat limited in airplane numbers 4-8 per mission on one side.
    Maybe I have set it this way in conf.ini DGen settings but I don't think so, IL-2 is normally meant to be optimized so everyone can run it. With 20+ aircraft that wouldn't be the case.
    IL-2 COD is fine example.

Hi Dkoor, add these lines to your conf.ini to max out the plane numbers in DGEN,

[Dgen]
    MissionDistance=50
    RandomFlights=5
    AirIntensity=High
    GroundIntesity=High
    Maxbomberskill=0
    NoAirfieldHighlight=1
    NoBadWeather=1

get more planes this way.

Dgen is surprisingly more fun since 4.11.1 and even more fun with HSFX6....

You can also try ordering your wingman to attack whatever you want attacked, then fly wing on him.

Good hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by thefruitbat View Post
    Anything marked with a * is a dgen campaign.
    Thanks! Always wondered what those asterisks meant.

Quote Originally Posted by thefruitbat View Post
    Dgen is surprisingly more fun since 4.11.1 and even more fun with HSFX6....

Did you say HSFX6.... is that out yet?????

Quote Originally Posted by gothkrieger View Post
    Did you say HSFX6.... is that out yet?????
    Its in beta testing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast