Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Guitar Player Etiquette 101 | Forums

Rocksmith 2014 Edition - The Smashing Pumpkins' "Cherub Rock"

How Guitar Teachers Can Use Rocksmith 2014 Edition

Rocksmith 2014 Edition -- How It Works -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

Rocksmith 60-Day Challenge -- Trevor's Success Story -- Learn How To Play Guitar In 60 Days

LOL @ the shred bass comment. Cliff Burton comes to mind.

PS guys...I did not write that. It was just something I happened across while surfing the web. I thought it might make for an interesting thread on this forum.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

I think there is an element of tribalism in opinion elitism as well.
    People have a need to want to belong to a group, and if you are in a different group, you are sub-human (as it is with politics, religion, sports teams, schools, economic class, etc).

If I see a post that contains _____ sucks (fill the blank with any band name or musical genre), it is my flag to disregard the post entirely.

now i feel even worse for saying that a DLC sucks a while back. i know its hard to see how a person is feeling when they write on the net but when i said they suck i was thinking of a show i went to and the whole audience was yelling you suck and the band seemed to be getting a charge from the middle fingers and all the you suck comments. afterwards i heard they wanted the audience to act that way, as odd as it may sound.

Ubisoft Support Staff NCSA rockabillybaby's Avatar
    HAHA. I love it. Some people really need to read this.

Definitely agree with that. I have always identified with Buddhism and selflessness is a big element to that. Everyone's worst enemy is themselves, hiding in their egos. I remember when I first started playing guitar, and I mean this is like year one or two, barely spent any time at all on it, wasn't really that interested in it, aside from picking around when I was bored once in awhile. Anyway, I knew a guy who had spent the majority of his free time for 6-7 years on guitar and he was a major offender when it came to ego. I can remember several times I'd pick up my friend's guitar just bored, pick around a couple of minutes, and whenever he was there he'd make sure to talk me down like I might as well not even try. Very arrogant guy, always putting other people down to boost himself, I guess. It's sad to me, seeing someone that self-absorbed. There's no competition in art. Everyone's on the same path, even if you're ****her along on that path, you weren't always. No reason to discourage anyone else. Even if you are a professional musician there's no reason not to be humble. I prefer to think of myself as a sensei to those who aren't as far along as me on their journey. Translated from japanese, it means one who has gone before. The opposite of that is the unsei, which is everyone who isn't as far along as you. I think it's good to keep that mindset no matter how much time you put into your guitar. No matter where you are there's always those you can help and those you can learn from.

Most of the DLC sucks.
    fanboi begone

Quote Originally Posted by p0rq View Post
    Most of the DLC sucks.
    Yeah, that's why we're all purchasing it.

I don't dislike bands like 3 doors down because of my ego, I dislike them because they're terrible.

As far as ego goes, I encourage everybody I can to learn guitar. And I never stop talking to my friends about Rocksmith, because one day somebody else will get it and I'll have somebody to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfredPrufrock View Post
    I don't dislike bands like 3 doors down because of my ego, I dislike them because they're terrible.
    That may or may not be true (I for would certainly not argue with you) but in the name of social cohesion we seem to have silently agreed to observe the geocentric conceit that all bands are equally good. Otherwise we might well end up with exchanges on the level of "Most of the DLC sucks". A depressing prospect.
    Last edited by KinchBlade; 04-30-2012 at 05:39 PM.

The thing with saying, "X band suxXorz," is that, at the end of the day, they're the ones with a recording contract and thousands or millions of fans and platinum records, etc. So it's sort of silly, when one thinks about it, to bash success. Whereas it's perfectly alright not to like the music they play, and that makes perfect sense, all without the strange need to justify one's personal taste.

Me, I have no problem saying I don't like a band or a type of music, while still acknowledging that the people making that music or in that band are obviously doing something right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast